Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

1 hour ago, dans said:

Sadly, this thread is just a small example of the environment in America right now. Not sure if it will ever change. We are very polarized. 

Been leading up for a while IMO. Just too many places where a person can find extreme views or opinions of any type. Then they can point to that and say “see I’m right” and get even more convinced they are correct and others are wrong.... or evil.... or wanting to destroy the country... etc.... Saw it first hand 10 or so years back and just getting worse..... can still hear “they’re the only ones telling the truth “. And response of “maybe you feel that way because it’s what you WANT to hear” only makes it worse

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Been leading up for a while IMO. Just too many places where a person can find extreme views or opinions of any type. Then they can point to that and say “see I’m right” and get even more convinced they are correct and others are wrong.... or evil.... or wanting to destroy the country... etc.... Saw it first hand 10 or so years back and just getting worse..... can still hear “they’re the only ones telling the truth “. And response of “maybe you feel that way because it’s what you WANT to hear” only makes it worse

You raise some good points Jim. Hope you are well. 

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

Our nation is being mired in great confusion. My hope is, each of you understands, and respects, the complexity of the societal and political issues before us. Naturally, we all want a voice. But, understand, no matter what we espouse here, can easily be disputed, and just as convincingly, by someone else.

There are many other sites for purely ideological keyboard battles that have no, or little connection to the Marching Arts. Try out some of those. We are running the risk of reducing DCP’s audience to a small handful of ‘Gotta Have the Last Word’ warriors. That’s tedious and boring for most, over time. 

Makes sense.

But then...

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

No useful purpose in ‘looting, burning down’ the DCP neighborhood.

8 minutes ago, dans said:

You raise some good points Jim. Hope you are well. 

Same to you Dan thanks. I never would have come up with these thoughts if I’d hadn’t worked with a person like that. Thank God he wasn’t internet savvy or he might have gone over the edge. Sad guy really, nice in other ways but certain things would just set him off. He finally passed from dementia at 61. Looking back I think lot of what I was seeing was early onset symptoms. 

The problem is that everyone is right and has their own "facts" and apparently their own "verbiage" that doesn't correspond to the dictionary or context that it's being derived from.  Makes it #### hard to have a conversation when you can't offer facts or statistics (that are irrefutable) and have a conversation when the other person simply dismisses it and calls you XXX.  My problem with DCP and Corps in general is where have you been the last 20+ years?  This virtue signalling means NOTHING if it's not backed up.  I suppose we will see if local kids are back into their local corps or this is just lip service.  If Drum Corps are supposed to be this big educational and life changing experience than DO IT and stop this nonsense of saying one thing and catering to everyone who has the money vs need.  This will surely fall on deaf ears and when DCI starts up again it will be the same ol' same ol' to be sure.

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

The problem is that everyone is right and has their own "facts" and apparently their own "verbiage" that doesn't correspond to the dictionary or context that it's being derived from.  Makes it #### hard to have a conversation when you can't offer facts or statistics (that are irrefutable) and have a conversation when the other person simply dismisses it and calls you XXX.  My problem with DCP and Corps in general is where have you been the last 20+ years?  This virtue signalling means NOTHING if it's not backed up.  I suppose we will see if local kids are back into their local corps or this is just lip service.  If Drum Corps are supposed to be this big educational and life changing experience than DO IT and stop this nonsense of saying one thing and catering to everyone who has the money vs need.  This will surely fall on deaf ears and when DCI starts up again it will be the same ol' same ol' to be sure.

I would be very surprised if DCI goes back to the same old thing. Atleast, I would hope. This situation should be a wake up call about how tenuous the life of the activity is.

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

John, and other Moderators -

Thank you for trying to keep Drum Corps Planet a viable resource for discussion. Discussion about drum corps, hopefully. We’ll need a place for that when this nation recovers from this destructive period of time.

I’ve got plenty of time these days for research. With the internet, and all its digital capabilities, manipulation of information and discussion has never been easier to participate in. Drum Corps Planet is being used as a tool for some personal, political objectives. Some posters are better at hiding it than others, obviously.

Fellow DCP Members, we can lose this valuable site going forward. More and more active participants are moving away from this source. This should be apparent to longtime enthusiasts.

Our nation is being mired in great confusion. My hope is, each of you understands, and respects, the complexity of the societal and political issues before us. Naturally, we all want a voice. But, understand, no matter what we espouse here, can easily be disputed, and just as convincingly, by someone else.

There are many other sites for purely ideological keyboard battles that have no, or little connection to the Marching Arts. Try out some of those. We are running the risk of reducing DCP’s audience to a small handful of ‘Gotta Have the Last Word’ warriors. That’s tedious and boring for most, over time. 

No useful purpose in ‘looting, burning down’ the DCP neighborhood.

Thank you sir...well said. I don't participate in this site very much anymore. On occasion, I visit this site hoping to engage in meaningful discussion about our beloved drum corps activity. Unfortunately, I let myself get involved in the political nonsense. I should do better...I'm fully aware that civil discussion about politics is not possible right now. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I wondered what happened as had a response. Just going to bring up personal feelings can also affect which businesses we patronize or refuse to go to. For me I refuse to spend a penny at ChicFilA because of owners gay opinions. He’s allowed to say what he wants and I’m allowed to make sure he doesn’t get any of my money. 
My feelings do not come from a high level. I just refuse to patronize the place of someone who doesn’t like my friends. Especially in PA where we have gay marriage but can get fired as that is not a protected group. And one of my friends is still in the closet to the outside world because of that

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I wondered what happened as had a response. Just going to bring up personal feelings can also affect which businesses we patronize or refuse to go to. For me I refuse to spend a penny at ChicFilA because of owners gay opinions. He’s allowed to say what he wants and I’m allowed to make sure he doesn’t get any of my money. 
My feelings do not come from a high level. I just refuse to patronize the place of someone who doesn’t like my friends. Especially in PA where we have gay marriage but can get fired as that is not a protected group. And one of my friends is still in the closet to the outside world because of that

I had an experience also. The My Pillow guy ( lol ) sadly the product is great, BUT I heard him say several times a certain politician was actually sent by God. I wrote the company and actually got a response. They said they couldn't control the politics of the owner ( which I agree ) but my issue was he was the one who   brought politics into his business, so I had the right never to support it again.

People have the right to support whoever they want BUT when they themselves bring it into view as political well then they risk losing at least 1/2 of the business brought on by no one but themselves.

• Like 1