Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

20 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The quote is actually "Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

At least, that's what Lord Acton said in the 19th Century. But as I noted a few days ago, the Anglo-Saxons had a different take:

"Man deþ swa he byþ þonne he mot swa he wile," or in modern English: "A man does as he is when he can do what he wants."

(And of course, lots of problems have indeed been fixed by government action, which is often taken because of public outrcy.)

You are correct, of course (though most of the problems the government tries to fix are in fact caused by it in the first place). 

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of minorities have been sent into the US prison system on the back of the 1994 crime bill. Instead of eliminating the person responsible from political leadership, there is large effort to elevate him to the most powerful elected position in the world. How can a party claim to care about minority issues and then offer up this person as their best hope for a better tomorrow?

It is shameful, really.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dans said:

Anyone know what happened to Drum Corps Planet? I clicked on my link for DCP and it took me to this political discussion group.

...with one poster turning several threads into his own, personal platforms to make his political commentary both directly and obliquely, this thread being a fine example. 

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of minorities have been sent into the US prison system on the back of the 1994 crime bill. Instead of eliminating the person responsible from political leadership, there is large effort to elevate him to the most powerful elected position in the world. How can a party claim to care about minority issues and then offer up this person as their best hope for a better tomorrow?

The crime bill had some pretty bad consequences, but it's worth remembering that it had broad support, including a significant amount of support from African Americans. A lot of people don't realize how much crime rates have dropped since 1994. There's a growing consensus now that the actual reason for that is the removal of lead from paint and gasoline--and that the rate was already starting to fall then. But nobody knew it at the time.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

As for criticism apparently directed my way in one or both of the two posts just above, if the administrators decide that we should no longer discuss the issues to which the various corps have addressed with their statements on equity, diversity and inclusion, that would be fine by me -- not that it matters whether I object or not. But it was a DCP moderator who introduced the subject of pro-BLM blacklisting into this topic, for instance, and I think the conversation has flowed pretty naturally from there. if the moderators say that any further replies in this thread must stick solely to acknowledging the corps' statements, so be it.

• Like 1

Wow neither side has a 100% clean record on anything..... whadda surprise.....

Now do we continue to point fingers and bring up the bad history against the other side.... or should we think of the future and trying to do something productive....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The crime bill had some pretty bad consequences, but it's worth remembering that it had broad support, including a significant amount of support from African Americans. A lot of people don't realize how much crime rates have dropped since 1994. There's a growing consensus now that the actual reason for that is the removal of lead from paint and gasoline--and that the rate was already starting to fall then. But nobody knew it at the time.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

As for criticism apparently directed my way in one or both of the two posts just above, if the administrators decide that we should no longer discuss the issues to which the various corps have addressed with their statements on equity, diversity and inclusion, that would be fine by me -- not that it matters whether I object or not. But it was a DCP moderator who introduced the subject of pro-BLM blacklisting into this topic, for instance, and I think the conversation has flowed pretty naturally from there. if the moderators say that any further replies in this thread must stick solely to acknowledging the corps' statements, so be it.

Everyone is a moderator on DCP, didn’t you know?

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

some of us anyway

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Well, I know I try to be a moderating influence.

• Haha 1

As an alumni just got an invite for a zoom feed with the intern head of security at my old college. Back in my day it was pretty much white with few foreign students in the mix. Today lot more overseas students and has really outreached toward minority students. Town and county still low in minorities and conservative so comfort level not too good there. Since the last few months appears college heads realized they need to open the communications to students a LOT wider due to CV and white/minority/police problems. (Not going to say BLM because of “definition” issues but same idea). Some might say small steps but steps none the less.

edit (what I forgot): BITD state colleges hid any bad news including racial issues. Now mine publicizes it with a statement that basically says “we don’t put up with this ####”. That includes racist fb statements with photos taken on school property. (Can’t say example I am thinking)

Edited by JimF-LowBari
Had “my OWN college” 😫
  • Like 1