Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

4 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I still am not clear on what a pageantry leech is.

someone who finds a way to make a living off of the activity be it design, a instrument manufacturer, uniform company...

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I also said multiple times I refuse to eat there because of the owners anti-gay views. Reason being I have gay friends and I stick up for my friends.

What else needs to be said?

long before the word spread on their views, i stopped eating there because the food sucks.

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

Well, it may be a little sexist...  🙂 

Okay, I laughed. Bravo. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

long before the word spread on their views, i stopped eating there because the food sucks.

Boycotter.... 😜

7 hours ago, Cappybara said:

And yes, boycotting is a part of the free market. I have yet to get a response from anyone with actual points as to why it violates the concept of a free market. Boycotting is simply another form of peaceful protest

Since you asked, let us explore that.

This subtopic started with these posts:

On 6/13/2020 at 10:38 AM, MikeD said:

I just read an article in today's paper, about Princeton's McCarter theater, that says a person involved in theater, producer Marie Cisco, is keeping a public Google document titled "Theaters Not Speaking Out" of all theaters around the country that make a 'statement' in support of the BLM movement. Personally, I find this very troubling in a Big Brother-ish sort of way.

On 6/13/2020 at 10:49 AM, Cappybara said:

Why? It’s a free market, and many would prefer to support businesses that are speaking out on this issue. 

Your initial contention of tangibly supporting those with whom you agree is free market... and had this been a list of "Theaters Speaking Out", it would have been pertinent too.  But instead, this was a list of "Theaters Not Speaking Out".  See the difference?

On 6/13/2020 at 1:23 PM, Cappybara said:

Hm? I’m not sure why you included the “but” in front of your sentence. It does not fit as it does not oppose my statement, it only complements it. Many want to, as the common phrase goes, “put their money where their mouth is” and others simply are looking to support businesses that sell products that they want. Neither of these go against the concept of a free market. 

Your initial contention of tangibly supporting those with whom you agree is free market.  But then you went here:

On 6/13/2020 at 1:23 PM, Cappybara said:

I always discourage my family and friends from eating at Chick Fil A. That isn’t in violation of the free market, that is actually well within the realm of it: the ability for the consumer to choose.

No, that is the exact opposite.  You are telling people what not to choose.  You seek to constrain their choices.  That is not "free market".

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

No, that is the exact opposite.  You are telling people what not to choose.  You seek to constrain their choices.  That is not "free market".

The word used was “discourage” not “order”. I read discourage as telling people why you don’t patronize a place and why you think/wish they wouldn’t either. Order is when you tell people what not to do...

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

someone who finds a way to make a living off of the activity be it design, a instrument manufacturer, uniform company...

Differing interpretations depending on perspective Jeffery. I'm alluding to the Tammy Faye shameless self promoter types littering the environment.

But to be fair to your analysis they do relate to one another's interpretation.

Edited by Poppycock