Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

7 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

"Defund the police" doesn't have to conform to what you think it sounds like. You can educate yourself on how it is overwhelmingly being used. Or you can just say "I don't mind police violence, because I haven't experienced it" if that's really what you mean - don't let vocabulary be your excuse. 

I think it's telling that almost no one in a national position of power, or vying to be in a national position of power, from has embraced this slogan. Much as they may agree with the need for major changes, they recognize it's not a winning catchphrase.

The reason that it's caught on with some activists is that "Reform the Police" has been said before and, to be frank, it hasn't worked. If it had, we wouldn't have seen the hundreds of videos from the past two weeks of police shooting, gassing, and beating protesters.

As an alternative, I like "Reinvent the Police". Others may have a better suggestion.

Note that in Camden, N.J., the most prominent example of radically changing a police force (with apparently good results), there are actually more police now than before.

27 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Phantom Regiment is not a corps made up of actual ghosts.

The Blue Devils is not a corps made up of Beelzebubs. And they don't wear so much blue.

The Seattle Cascades are not mountains that march around on a football field. 

BITD I was in the Westshoremen from Harrisburg PA. Joke is Harrisburg is on the EAST shore of the Susquehanna River....

trying to lighten it folks...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeD said:

Admin hat hete...

Please refrain from making derogatory posts directed at individual posters, no matter what “side” of the issues you come from.

Personally, I think the continued attacks on entire groups of posters is just as bad or worse, but that never seems to end.  

36 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

The Blue Devils is not a corps made up of Beelzebubs. And they don't wear so much blue.

I think I may have mentioned before that the mascot of a school near me, the Cleveland suburb of Westlake, is the Demon.

But the school came by that name in an unexpected way. Westlake, along with its neighbors to the north and south, was prior to their incorporations all part of Dover Township. More than a century ago, after the other two portions became the villages (later cities) of Bay Village and North Olmsted, respectively, the remainder, now called Westlake, was named Dover Village (the name was changed in 1940 to avoid confusion with another town called Dover, arch rival in east central Ohio to New Philadelphia). And the teams who played for Dover High School were called the "D Men".

Which first colloquially and then officially became "Demon".

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think it's telling that almost no one in a national position of power, or vying to be in a national position of power, from has embraced this slogan. Much as they may agree with the need for major changes, they recognize it's not a winning catchphrase.

I tend to agree. It was the slogan invented by the boots-on-the-ground movement, not by strategists polling a focus group. It was born from the people responding to police brutality and who were caught up in a moment.

That said, some on here (the usual suspects) are more disturbed by vocabulary than what the movement is trying to respond to. It's unfortunate but in no way surprising.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

That said, some on here (the usual suspects) are more disturbed by vocabulary than what the movement is trying to respond to. It's unfortunate but in no way surprising.

If anyone did not understand what I meant by attacks on entire groups of posters, “the usual suspects” is a good example.  

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

If anyone did not understand what I meant by attacks on entire groups of posters, “the usual suspects” is a good example.  

The use of "the usual suspects" is somehow defined as an attack. To quote a recent post:

"If words are not allowed to have have established meanings, then communication becomes impossible." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I tend to agree. It was the slogan invented by the boots-on-the-ground movement, not by strategists polling a focus group. It was born from the people responding to police brutality and who were caught up in a moment.

And let’s face it “Defund” fits in a placard a lot better than “Deallocate”. And trying to say this in a non-insulting way but think lot of people would wonder wth THAT (deallocate) meant.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Just now, kdaddy said:

The use of "the usual suspects" is somehow defined as an attack.

No, obviously that is not the attack, that is the identification of the group of people being attacked.

The attack part is the derogatory suggestion that people who raised a legitimate issue about defining terms that need to be understood in order to discuss an important issue involving a horrible injustice are doing so because they don’t care about the injustice themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2