Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m lost... does Ream own DCP or does he own FB. 

Seriously the insults and mind reading is the last thing anyone in this country needs....

He's one of the 7 admins of the DCP Facebook group.

5 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

That’s suppression. Trying to keep uncomfortable discussion in a neat little side topic that is easy to ignore. The entire point of the BLM movement is to force white people to confront the reality of modern white supremacy. To make it impossible to ignore.

Any action to restrict or police that message is wrong. Particularly at this moment in time.

I disagree. The topic is there on DCP/FB for any and all to participate who desire to do so. So no, it is not suppression.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

He's one of the 7 admins of the DCP Facebook group.

Well since you explained this,  then explain something else. Just what was done that has you so cranked up. And remember I don’t fb so haven’t seen anything there. Sounds like this is kept in one thread instead of all over the place? And the problem with that is?

• Like 1

Nm..... when accusations of banning minorities come out wait for the proof...

Especially since I have no idea what was done that was supposedly so bad. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

16 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Congratulations, you just proved his point. 

actually i didn't, but thank you for concern.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I agree ( although it has happened) multiple threads on any subject is not necessary BUT hijacking threads is something different. I was talking more about hijacking. 

and there was a coordinated hijacking. in addition to personal messages with threats sent because people wouldn't get their way.

i'll be honest..there is no perfect way to handle this from a moderation point of view.  ###### no matter what. but.....while good discussion has been happening, no more hijacking or ugly messages.

and the only claims of suppression are in here

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

Actually it is. Nobody cares about your little rules. At this precise moment in time, the appropriate action was to forget about drum corps for a little while and let your platform (small as it may be) be used for something good. Instead you decided to go on a power trip in the name or "order" or whatever. Look at the world around you right now. Is that how you want to look?

You made the wrong choice. Hopefully you've learned from it.

i appreciate your concern, but the choice made has actually worked out and has gotten some praise. and i'm not getting threatening personal messages any longer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m lost... does Ream own DCP or does he own FB. 

Seriously the insults and mind reading is the last thing anyone in this country needs....

Jim,

i help moderate the DCP facebook page. i don't make rules. i just enforce them.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Jim,

i help moderate the DCP facebook page. i don't make rules. i just enforce them.

I know I couldn’t find the sarcasm icon to reply to “your platform” like you do make the rules

12 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

This was not a discussion about the Cadets' crappy new uniforms. Again, the entire point of the BLM movement is to force white people to address an aspect of society they generally try to ignore. To force people to have uncomfortable conversations.

This isn't even getting into the optics of the situation: an all-white moderation team deleting posts and banning people of color for having the audacity to say that their lives matter outside of the neat little pen that was created for them to keep the rest of the discussion "focused on the Drum Corps activity."

you actually have no clue what really went down, what was done, and decisions made. so, allow me to skate close to the line of where mods shouldn't go.

even before any decision were made or moderation began, because we did not cave to some folks ideas of what social justice should be i was sent messages by members of that page threatening me and my family and my home. why? because i and the team would not let them run hog wild on the FB page. and yes i reported those messages to facebook and some authorities after sluething on who the posters were. when decisions were made and actions begun, even more threats came and thru sluething we found a coordinated effort to hijack the page run by people tied to some organizations in drum corps. so we doubled down on the bad actors, and came up with the approach taken.

so, while you feel suppressed, i felt attacked. would you like it if i sent you messages threatening to have your home torched? or to have your ### kicked? No i dont think you would like it. so if the DCP FB page and how its moderated...a group unpaid effort when we have time may I add...isn't to your cup of tea...then #### off.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1