Our Commitment To The Black Lives Matter Movement

14 hours ago, jeffmolnar said:

He's one of the 7 admins of the DCP Facebook group.

This I did not know. Thank goodness I'm not on BookFace. 

I'ts hurricane season down here and I am anxiously awaiting the input from him on the effects of a Tropical Storm going ashore in coastal Louisiana having effects on Flo's programing in Tennessee. :sarcasm:

44 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you actually have no clue what really went down, what was done, and decisions made. so, allow me to skate close to the line of where mods shouldn't go.

even before any decision were made or moderation began, because we did not cave to some folks ideas of what social justice should be i was sent messages by members of that page threatening me and my family and my home. why? because i and the team would not let them run hog wild on the FB page. and yes i reported those messages to facebook and some authorities after sluething on who the posters were. when decisions were made and actions begun, even more threats came and thru sluething we found a coordinated effort to hijack the page run by people tied to some organizations in drum corps. so we doubled down on the bad actors, and came up with the approach taken.

so, while you feel suppressed, i felt attacked. would you like it if i sent you messages threatening to have your home torched? or to have your ### kicked? No i dont think you would like it. so if the DCP FB page and how its moderated...a group unpaid effort when we have time may I add...isn't to your cup of tea...then #### off.

You could always not do it? I mean if someone is threatening me over some internet stupidity then I would have to leave it at that and walk away. 

I've had a threatening PM here on DCP but I just ignore that person as much as possible. If it got worse or continued I would just leave. no problem right? 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, E3D said:

You could always not do it? I mean if someone is threatening me over some internet stupidity then I would have to leave it at that and walk away. 

I've had a threatening PM here on DCP but I just ignore that person as much as possible. If it got worse or continued I would just leave. no problem right? 

Having your own self threatened is one thing but having family threatened is another. especially when you use your own name and your address can be easily found

Been there but it was a total stranger talking about cutting off the first joint off all our fingers. They disagreed with our opinion on declawing cats who played with dogs in the house. One of the reasons the FB account we used is deactivated, too many wack jobs out there.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Before the close... found out one thing I never realized before and hope I never po’ed anyone by doing it. Hearing the phrase BLM my first thought was always all lives matter. Or more precise black, brown, gay, bullied.... etc... etc.. But as no one is a mind reader, quickly saying ALM can also be taken as a blow off to someone saying BLM. IOW “yeah yeah BLM.. well ALM fella”. Lesson learned....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Before the close... found out one thing I never realized before and hope I never po’ed anyone by doing it. Hearing the phrase BLM my first thought was always all lives matter. Or more precise black, brown, gay, bullied.... etc... etc.. But as no one is a mind reading, quickly saying ALM can also be taken as a blow off to someone saying BLM. Lesson learned....

That was my initial reaction and I had to go think about it on my own without some media beating me over the head with it. Then I came to the conclusion that the statement in fact BLM is true and should be stated. No one is robots and some go in different directions with things. Its what makes us human. 

Edited by E3D
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, E3D said:

Did you report the threatening PM? That is an important step that the admins here (I am one of them here) always encourage. 

50 minutes ago, E3D said:

it was the only time it happened, and i sent everything to where it needs to go to be handled. and since the poster i quoted seems to think they have all the answers on how to moderate, I suggest they volunteer. after all, since we were criticized for being white males, maybe they could help. it's not like we have people of any geneder or race begging to moderate. in the end, they're probably far smarter than we are for not volunteering. but you can't drag people in to do the job if they don't want to 

Edited by Jeff Ream

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Did you report the threatening PM? That is an important step that the admins here (I am one of them here) always encourage. 

I have thought about it. But in the end since I truly hate moderation or censorship , I decided to just let it go. That person is still active here - and besides they did not keep at it. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand a place like message boards and bookFace group owners need to moderate. You have to protect yourself as the owners etc. I just think it should be anything goes, like the old days (compuserve etc.) 🙂 

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you actually have no clue what really went down, what was done, and decisions made. so, allow me to skate close to the line of where mods shouldn't go.

even before any decision were made or moderation began, because we did not cave to some folks ideas of what social justice should be i was sent messages by members of that page threatening me and my family and my home. why? because i and the team would not let them run hog wild on the FB page. and yes i reported those messages to facebook and some authorities after sluething on who the posters were. when decisions were made and actions begun, even more threats came and thru sluething we found a coordinated effort to hijack the page run by people tied to some organizations in drum corps. so we doubled down on the bad actors, and came up with the approach taken.

so, while you feel suppressed, i felt attacked. would you like it if i sent you messages threatening to have your home torched? or to have your ### kicked? No i dont think you would like it. so if the DCP FB page and how its moderated...a group unpaid effort when we have time may I add...isn't to your cup of tea...then #### off.

"because we did not cave"

Yes, that is where you went wrong. This was the appropriate time to "cave." That you view temporarily allowing the Facebook group to be used as a platform to spread such an important and humane message as "running hog wild" speaks volumes about your character.

edit: also, "some folks ideas of what social justice should be" is absolutely abhorrent in this context. This isn't some cutesy debate with 2 equally valid sides. You have no business being in a position of authority on a public discussion board. None of you do.

Edited by jeffmolnar

10 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

"because we did not cave"

Yes, that is where you went wrong. This was the appropriate time to "cave." That you view temporarily allowing the Facebook group to be used as a platform to spread such an important and humane message as "running hog wild" speaks volumes about your character.

edit: also, "some folks ideas of what social justice should be" is absolutely abhorrent in this context. This isn't some cutesy debate with 2 valid sides.

“Speaks volumes about your character” 

get over yourself.... just because things are being done in a way you disagree with.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1