The 1998 Thread

The Cavaliers show, 1998. What an effective opener!

Cavaliers show 98

On 6/8/2020 at 2:26 PM, mfrontz said:

Well, now, it's not like Crossmen in 98 played all the same Metheny. But I love listening to both 1991 and 1998 because they are two great Crossmen drumlines from two different eras. Sure, 2/3 of the 98 Third Wind is the same song they played in 91, but Thurston's and Hannum's arrangements are completely different and both uniquely engaging. Thurston's stuff is obviously iconic and the 91 line is arguably the best of all his years, but listen to how faithfully Hannum's drumline interprets PMG's sound (I think the live recording on The Road to You must have been the inspiration). Yes, Letter From Home isn't anything to write home about (ha!) but The First Circle falls right back into that PMG groove.   

I went back and re-listened to the show today. I’ll concede - the opener pops, much like the ‘91 version, though you can tell it’s structurally influenced by the Birdland opener the year before. The ballad is ... ok, and then the opener starts 6:30 into the show. No wonder the end kind of peters out - that’s a looooong time to run and gun. Someone in the design room wasn’t thinking clearly there. 

Mike

15 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I went back and re-listened to the show today. I’ll concede - the opener pops, much like the ‘91 version, though you can tell it’s structurally influenced by the Birdland opener the year before. The ballad is ... ok, and then the opener starts 6:30 into the show. No wonder the end kind of peters out - that’s a looooong time to run and gun. Someone in the design room wasn’t thinking clearly there. 

Mike

I love this show. A couple points...

The opener is structured to sound almost exactly (after the fanfare intro) like the live version of Third Wind off The Road To You album. Even the soprano solo mirrors Metheny's solo during the shout-like ending almost exactly. Check it out on youtube and you'll see.

First Circle does peter out but that's more because they didn't have the horses to really max it out. But the overall drill/color guard design and musical arrangements were so exceptional for that production, I admire the fact that even without the horses, they really gave it all they had at finals. Seventh place with mediocre talent (at best) in the brass and a badly injured snare line is pretty darn good if you ask me. The one Pat Matheny show in drum corps that actually sounds like Metheny. Not chopped up into little pieces, and about as faithful to the originals as could be possible for an 11.5 min drum corps show. Then again, that's Hannum/Klesch for you 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, MikeN said:

Next, in '99 - the swan song for bugles, and some of the most iconic shows ever for a handful of groups.

Mike

I thought 2000 was the first year for Bb/F instruments, not 1999. 

On 6/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, MikeN said:

Glassmen... their corps was head and shoulders better in talent than '97, and the music was definitely more sophisticated... but the show didn't have quite the same heart.  I can't quite articulate what the Bizet show had, but it had "it" and I don't think '98 had it.

I tend to agree with this. But it was nice to see and hear the upgrade in talent. Glassmen definitely had a nice run in the 90s and early 2000s.

8 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I thought 2000 was the first year for Bb/F instruments, not 1999. 

1999 was indeed the last year for ONLY G bugles. That is why, I think, he says it's their swan song in 99, even though only BD and Cadets used any key in 2000.

• Like 2

1 year after my age-out year, even to this day i don't think I've ever watch the entire top-12, didn't go to 1 show, mainly because i was always in Europe & Central Asia on business, installing datacenters for SUN Microsystems. Spent all of July in Russia (St Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev, Novosibirsk, Vladivostok), and half of August in Eastern Europe.