The 1998 Thread

1 hour ago, Tony Flores said:

1 year after my age-out year, even to this day i don't think I've ever watch the entire top-12, didn't go to 1 show, mainly because i was always in Europe & Central Asia on business, installing datacenters for SUN Microsystems. Spent all of July in Russia (St Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev, Novosibirsk, Vladivostok), and half of August in Eastern Europe. 

The entire Top 12 is available for your enjoyment!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, seen-it-all said:

I love this show. A couple points...

The opener is structured to sound almost exactly (after the fanfare intro) like the live version of Third Wind off The Road To You album. Even the soprano solo mirrors Metheny's solo during the shout-like ending almost exactly. Check it out on youtube and you'll see.

First Circle does peter out but that's more because they didn't have the horses to really max it out. But the overall drill/color guard design and musical arrangements were so exceptional for that production, I admire the fact that even without the horses, they really gave it all they had at finals. Seventh place with mediocre talent (at best) in the brass and a badly injured snare line is pretty darn good if you ask me. The one Pat Matheny show in drum corps that actually sounds like Metheny. Not chopped up into little pieces, and about as faithful to the originals as could be possible for an 11.5 min drum corps show. Then again, that's Hannum/Klesch for you 🙂

i too love the show, but sometimes i wonder why yu dont do what you need to do design wise to set the kids up for more success?

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i too love the show, but sometimes i wonder why yu dont do what you need to do design wise to set the kids up for more success?

Well injuries happen to all corps. Can't really expect or plan for 3 snare players going down. It's a shame too because it prevented an excellent overall percussion section from potentially finishing in the top 3 or 4 in drums. And that front ensemble. Superb!

As for the brass, I thought that all things considered they watered down as much of that book as they could have without totally ruining the integrity of the book. If they had gone past that point and really gutted larger sections of it, I think we're looking at the corps finishing 9th or 10th instead of 7th. 

Jeff Sacktic's drill is what it is. If you're gonna play First Circle and really try to do it justice, you gotta move and the tempo is around 180ish. It's a beast any way you slice it. If you stand still too much, it loses the inherent momentum of the piece. (They did finish 6th in overall GE so I'd say the risk was worth it) 

Just my 2 cents

In one of these retr

On 6/9/2020 at 12:16 PM, jwillis35 said:

In one of these retrospective threads, you complained about how the video sometimes shoots company fronts from the side, making what looked straight from the box look askew, and I now I just can't stop seeing that in show after show. Very annoying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mfrontz said:

What would you have done? Real question, not sarcastic.

honestly? if the kids are gassing out, i look at ways to lessen some of the demand, either musically or visually or both. Use some smoke and mirrors to make things look harder than they are ( see BD). Demand only gets you places if the performance is there.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:06 PM, mfrontz said:

Madison Scouts - 6th, 91.9

Tasty, tasty arrangements with a little symphonic thrown in. 'Remembrance' is a Madison classic.

When was Paul Hart's "Remembrance" composed? Sometime before Madison played it in 1990, obviously, but Google isn't getting me any farther than that.