The 1998 Thread

I didn't care for Cadets musically in 1998, but visually they were almost perfect. Still some of the best marching I've ever seen. I still remember the rapid-change, cascading color palette of flags backfield.

Loved Vanguard's show. In another year it might have won. But man, their brass was gassed by the end of the show, and you could hear it.

• Like 2

To me, who only caught up with these shows after the fact, this year feels like the start of the 2000s Cavaliers.

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

To me, who only caught up with these shows after the fact, this year feels like the start of the 2000s Cavaliers.

It was Gaines's first year to write drill, so I can see where you'd say that.

Saucedo didn't arrive to the Cavies until 2000 - anyone know who wrote the brass book in 98 and 99?

On 6/5/2020 at 12:06 PM, mfrontz said:

Cadets of Bergen County - 1st, 98.4; High GE, High Visual

A 10.0 in visual performance, top GE, and excellence across the board. Wind ensemble music by Jan Van der Roost provided the soundscape to the flawless execution of Jeff Sacktig's vision. I saw this corps twice and was blown away both times. 

Santa Clara Vanguard - 2nd, 97.9; High Percussion

I love this show. Copland like few hear him. Aggressive, brooding, and performed with that Vanguard elan. 

Blue Devils - 3rd, 97.7; High Brass, High Auxiliary (non-judged caption)

Juliet meets and falls in love with Tony, Bernstein trades licks with Tchaikovsky. Genius, but at Allentown I thought 'They left the door open for Cadets.' True also in Florida. Nevertheless, awesome.

I think I saw 5 shows that year if you count semifinals and finals. I saw the Altoona, PA show, DCI North in Ypsilanti, MI, Canton, OH, and then Finals. We were able to keep up with scores more in the late 90s from the computer with many folks writing reviews. I don't think we were getting any video yet over the internet (not sure) but some may have been posting audio clips here and there.

The top 3 that year all had strengths and weaknesses. Not the strongest top 3 when you compare it to others Finals, but not bad either. BD took a risk with their programming but were their usual amazing performers. SCV gave us a hard, edgy and aggressive Copland show. The Cadets gave us a visual masterpiece with some incredible marching. Any of the 3 could have won depending on the performance and judging. In terms of fan appeal it was hard to judge on Finals night but I'd say SCV had more people pulling for them (of the top 3).

I felt Cadets deserved the win at both semis and finals. I enjoyed the Cadets music but I could see why some did not. What the Cadets got right, however, was they pulled back from some of the crazy demand they had in 1997 and did a better job cleaning down the stretch. They marched their tail-ends off. The ballad was nice with a very wind ensemble, even British Brass Band feel to it. I was not as wild about the opening minute of the show, but once they got going it was really good. The closer is excellent. Solid brass and drums, though not their best, but still really good. Visually however this show is fantastic and marched to perfection. Technique!

Someone already mentioned SCV's brass sounding a bit gassed by the end of the show. I didn't get that sense at Semifinals, but I did at Finals. The show was aggressive. I am sure endurance was an issue. Great show! Fun, fantastic percussion, guard, and the crowd loved it. 

I could see the Blue Devils of today pulling this show off and winning. The concept is simple, but the combination of genre in writing and merging the thematic with music styles had to be a difficult task. They sounded fantastic! I actually enjoyed hearing some classical sounds coming from BD. This show could have used the staging, movement, props, etc. that we see in Blue Devils shows of present. 

On 6/5/2020 at 12:06 PM, mfrontz said:

Glassmen - 5th, 92.8

What a great drum corps playing the music of (edit: Borodin) and layering it in gold. (Shhh, they beat BD in drums at finals.)

We beat everyone in drums at least once that summer except SCV. They deserved it. We beat Cavaliers in drums every night on the DCM tour until DCM finals night. :hmmm:

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

I think I saw 5 shows that year if you count semifinals and finals. I saw the Altoona, PA show, DCI North in Ypsilanti, MI, Canton, OH, and then Finals. We were able to keep up with scores more in the late 90s from the computer with many folks writing reviews. I don't think we were getting any video yet over the internet (not sure) but some may have been posting audio clips here and there. 

Canton or Massillon? Both DCX and FTP indicate the latter, on Aug. 2. I feel like I attended a show down there two years in a row after having not seen any drum corps for several years, and I know for certain that I was there in 1999 and not in 2000 (on July 30 2000 I would have been in northern Massachusetts or southern Vermont), but I have no memory whatsoever of having seen any of those shows live.

Something curious: FTP only lists scores for six corps at that show: 1. Madison Scouts, 2. Phantom Regiment, 3. Bluecoats, 4. Carolina Crown, 5. Les Etoiles, 6. Troopers. But DCX indicates that 7. Allegiance Elite and 8. Seattle Cascades were there too.

Les Etoiles were also at that show in 1999. What year did they have the contraption with the drummers spinning? Because I definitely remember that.  

On 6/6/2020 at 9:01 PM, kdaddy said:

It was Gaines's first year to write drill, so I can see where you'd say that.

Saucedo didn't arrive to the Cavies until 2000 - anyone know who wrote the brass book in 98 and 99?

Bruce McConnell did 1999 and I think also 1998.

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Les Etoiles were also at that show in 1999. What year did they have the contraption with the drummers spinning? Because I definitely remember that.  

1998, "The Rock"

A few reviews for you all to read if you did not catch much from 1998.

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Canton or Massillon? Both DCX and FTP indicate the latter, on Aug. 2. I feel like I attended a show down there two years in a row after having not seen any drum corps for several years, and I know for certain that I was there in 1999 and not in 2000 (on July 30 2000 I would have been in northern Massachusetts or southern Vermont), but I have no memory whatsoever of having seen any of those shows live.

Something curious: FTP only lists scores for six corps at that show: 1. Madison Scouts, 2. Phantom Regiment, 3. Bluecoats, 4. Carolina Crown, 5. Les Etoiles, 6. Troopers. But DCX indicates that 7. Allegiance Elite and 8. Seattle Cascades were there too.

It would have been Massillon on August 2. I often just say Canton, but that was the show. To my knowledge I am not sure Canton had an early show that year. I did not see one listed on DCX, and on sCorpsboard what they have listed is a mistake. The June 13 show was actually in Toledo. 

As for the corps that appeared at Massillon on August 2, I think DCX is correct. Not that I can remember that far back when it comes to every corps that appeared at a show, but I think there were 8. I have mostly used sCorpsboard and DCX for looking up rep and scores. I have not used FTP much but glad you mentioned that. I just checked it out and it looks good. Definitely added that to my favs. I used to go to a small site called Sound Machine of the Inland Empire. From what I could tell back in the day it was a local youth arts competitive band in SoCal. I think one of their alumni or staff put together a nice website for the group, but he/she attached a link on the left column for DCI scores and rep. It has most scores from 2008 and back. In the 90s and 1st decade of the 2000s they used to update scores on the site, and I think they had a blogging/chat style area for discussion. People chimed in on shows and wrote reviews. It was a less-known alternative to DCP or RAMD.

Check it out: https://www.soundmachine.org/