SCV Executive Director

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Wr will have a vaccine this winter / the world as we know it hasn’t ended 

Thank you Nostradamus. 

While we do have some people talking about the availability of the vaccine in 2021, a few of which are in phase 3 trials, they still have no idea whether they actually do anything yet. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Thank you Nostradamus. 

While we do have some people talking about the availability of the vaccine in 2021, a few of which are in phase 3 trials, they still have no idea whether they actually do anything yet. 

:doh:

I will just politely point out that unless phase 1/2 trials provide some idea that the vaccines "actually do anything", there are no phase 3 trials.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Continental said:

Went out of my way this morning to go to a different corner store than normal.

Struck up a conversation with the clerk - the conversation got very interesting and we connected on many observations over events from the past 2 months.   

Just as I'm leaving he pipes in that I should not get any vaccine if one is developed because "we never know if a microchip will be put into the vaccine."  It's at moments like this that I would express my opinion, but I chose to leave and just shake my head as I walked down the street. 

Well it's obvious that you have never watched the movies Inner Space or Fantastic Voyage.  :whistle:   

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

:doh:

I will just politely point out that unless phase 1/2 trials provide some idea that the vaccines "actually do anything", there are no phase 3 trials.

I'm not going to get into a science b***h-fest on DCP, especially with Garfield-lite, but sample sizes and animal trials are a thing and a couple companies that have announced that they're moving to phase 2 or phase 3 have not released their data to the public to be analyzed and scrutinized. Some vaccines are being shown to only be effective in the lungs (and that too in animal subjects rather than humans) while other companies such as AstraZeneca have already committed to mass producing a vaccine that they themselves won't know even works until sometime in August. Majority of these early human clinical trials are focusing on the safety of the vaccine more than the actual effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting from COVID-19. 

Considering the title of this thread, I'm going to leave it at that and kindly bow out of the discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

I read that in the DC FB group.  Guy was stating that he was going to fold the SCV World Class Corps & bring back the Cadet Corps with a focus on theatre & dance at the new academy campus?  I'm sure the new executive director has words; beautiful words. 

The Cadet Corps is predominantly local. A reduced rehearsal and performance schedule reduces total operating cost.

The majority of World SCV members are well over 300 miles from rehearsal camps. The incurred cost to house and feed members with limited rehearsals, fewer performance opportunities and practically no touring isn’t feasible. 

A more community based organization would provide greater financial stability until at least a two to three week tour schedule is foreseeable. Again these are ideas under consideration. 

Edited by Poppycock
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

DCI still has office staff?

the directors do have periodic zoom calls.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, George Dixon said:

We will have a vaccine this winter / the world as we know it hasn’t ended 

I very much hope that you're right, and various reports provide encouraging signs that this could happen. It would be darn near miraculous, given most past experience developing vaccines. But by all means let the miracle happen.

• Like 1

I’m on the FB page where the discussion took place since I’m an alum and the dialogue was certainly spirited. 

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 2

On 6/6/2020 at 12:57 PM, Poppycock said:

The very organization that schedules and promotes the tour has no money, little to no resources, and no guarantees of venues or rehearsal and housing sites. 

Might be because the BoD/Corps themselves made sure that DCI returned as much revenue to the corps as possible.  

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/6/2020 at 12:57 PM, Poppycock said:

Reports are DCI will likely not survive in the same form if at all. The regional circuits are gone and the private sponsor shows are few if any.

A committee has been formed to map various contingencies. However a tour of any length is questionable in the foreseeable future and logistics are not favorable. A more regional recruiting, rehearsal and performance schedule may need to be adapted.

Certainty tempers are high when you cannot plan for a season. The very organization that schedules and promotes the tour has no money, little to no resources, and no guarantees of venues or rehearsal and housing sites. 

I said this previously in another thread and was mocked or ridiculed for it. More or less the shutdown will kill DCI. The only way for this to get back on track is for schools to go back in the fall. If there is another pull back or shutdown then it is doomed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1