Xmen director resigns

Effective immediately. Don't be a moron on social media...

https://www.crossmen.org/post/board-of-directors-update?fbclid=IwAR2Vy2DEMnTMxvVJYSo7Cu8v_Sg4cHj73B2xDQBEQ34GhUdpjqCU8SSnLZk

Board of Directors Update

SAN ANTONIO, TX – June 8, 2020 – Crossmen Productions announced today that Fred Morrison has resigned from Crossmen Productions board of directors effective immediately, following a recent post shared on social media that does not represent the values we believe and teach here at Crossmen.

Crossmen Productions Chairman, Mark Chambers, said, “We thank Fred for his service to Crossmen and appreciate his 14 years of commitment and support.”

Moving forward, we commit to you and the rest of our community that we must be more thoughtful and intentional with every single thing we say and do. We stand in Unity against injustice along with our continued efforts for diversity and inclusion. We will move toward a safer, more equitable and attainable organization.

He “resigned” following the SM post that “does not represent our values”

Would feel better if it said “we got rid of his ...” following the SM post that was sickening.

• Like 4

i can't get the screen shot to post, but it was him sharing a video claiming Black Lives matter was a hoax.

so it finally took this to get him out. not hiring Joel Moody who's issues were well known, and not having it exposed he paid to try and have Moodys issues hidden on the internet

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, kdaddy said:

I remember there being some dust ups with this guy in the past, but I can't remember details - can somebody remind us?

Morrison stepped down from DCI's board of directors in 2018, but he remained at the helm of Crossmen,* and he resigned as executive director of Crossmen as of August 2019, but remained on the board until now. It had been reported that he not only hired Joel Moody to teach at Crossmen but paid an internet service to bury Moody's record. That's mentioned about halfway thorugh this Dec. 2018 article:

https://www.inquirer.com/news/a/drum-corp-international-sexual-assault-misconduct-mike-stevens-george-hopkins-cadets-20181213.html

I actually think that's probably worse than what he was fired for today, which was, however, a really boneheaded thing to do. It's not that hard, people! And Crossmen's BOD clearly had no choice: how could the corps welcome non-white members whlie having an executive director who posts something like that?

*edit: updated as per CACTSC's response below

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i can't get the screen shot to post, but it was him sharing a video claiming Black Lives matter was a hoax.

so it finally took this to get him out. not hiring Joel Moody who's issues were well known, and not having it exposed he paid to try and have Moodys issues hidden on the internet

They now have a new director and a new board and they seem to be on top of things. Very clear response to the posts last night and then this tonight. Good signs from the new administration. 

In the past month, I have probably received at least 50 friend requests on Facebook from people 70+ years old. I have had Zoom meetings with people who either did not own or did not use computers, iPads, or their phone for anything other than making calls. The pandemic has caused a boost in the number of people using social media. The days of saying things on social media you don’t want the world to know were over a decade ago, but now that Facebook is the only way Great Aunt Mae who is in the high risk category due to Covid-19 can keep in touch with little Stevie who is her pride and joy, you have to be more careful. Everyone will know, including Great Aunt Mae, who gave up her prejudices years ago when the African American or Latino, or Asian family moved next door, started mowing her lawn and doing her grocery shopping, and can’t resist her peanut butter cookies or peach cobbler.

On a more serious note, each year drum corps seems to become more ethnically diverse, and by and large, young people today have no use for bigotry. Last week Crossmen issued a statement via Facebook promoting racial diversity and respect for all people.  If they wanted to be true to their words, they needed to accept Fred Morrison’s resignation.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 3