Xmen director resigns

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol I always look at it as if you wouldn’t tell it to your minister, your family or yell it from the middle of a crowd you probably shouldn’t post it. It’s out there, it ain’t going away and everyone can see it.

Got yearly training from DoD regarding protecting personal info on the web. Just applied that knowledge to how and what I say to the world

Its a really good thing to use as measure of what to post and not. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, E3D said:

Its a really good thing to use as measure of what to post and not. 

Have a nice rift in the extended family right now due to fb stupidity. Distant cousin posted a 100 year old photo of our sweet grandmother aiming a shotgun with a “I’m gonna blow your butt away” snarl. Funny as hell as no one knew that side of her. Another cuz freaked out that it was her picture and she didn’t get credit. Understand the freak out post got pretty nasty and personal. Problem was, due to fb setting everyone saw the hissy fit. Pic owner got some grief, fired back and off to the races we goooo... with everyone seeing everything. 

Near as I can tell the pic owner posted it in ancestry.com and that’s where everyone else found it. And don’t think the owner/original poster was listed there.

1 hour ago, E3D said:

The phrase is true. The organization people could have different opinions on correct/

You should not be banned for any of what you just posted in my opinion. 

Different opinions are not allowed - reality be darned 

1 hour ago, E3D said:

The phrase is true. The organization people could have different opinions on correct/

You should not be banned for any of what you just posted in my opinion. 

I watched the video to which Morrison linked. It wasn't about the organization.

And while I think I mostly disagree with dans about this issue, I don't think he should be banned. But I don't think we have much leeway to discuss this issue.

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Unfortunately, I do not know what the remedy is.  Racism is very deeply rooted in our culture, and will take generations to root out.

We'd already been phasing in EDI training at work -- that's "Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion" -- and in light of both recent crises, we stepped it up. First the pandemic shut down much of our business (for the foreseeable future), but we got funding to keep on a good number of our staff, many of whom don't have much to do besides make various tentative plans for a future after we can reopen. So we found a program that requires an hour of each person's time every day for more than a month, and had them all participate. Then the events in Minnesota and nationally, and some deep thinking about our organization's history, where we are now, and where we should be made it clear that we needed to do more. So we engaged with a trainer for more intensive work: two hours twice weekly plus some homework. The first project included a whole bunch of reading, of probably close to 100 different articles and studies, to which we responded and discussed in small groups, each of which used a shared document for feedback. The intensive training, again in small groups (which break out into even smaller groups), is led by a very knowledgeable professional who gets the groups to confront some difficult questions.

The idea, broadly speaking, is to get fish to recognize the existence of water. Some people do find that very hard.

Are you familiar with the "Jump Start" comic strip? I post a random strip below. I'll never find the specific one I'm thinking of; the comic's been running in newspapers for 30 years and the installment that I remember was probably from the late 1990s. The woman shown in all the frames below is Marcy. She's a nurse. Her husband Joe is a cop. They're a black family. As I recall the particular strip I have in mind, Marcy was at work talking to a fellow nurse, who is white. The other nurse tells Marcy that Dr. Smith wants to talk to her.

Marcy asks: Which Dr. Smith? There are two by that name in the hospital.

The other nurse says: The one who's really tall. To which Marcy replies: they're both really tall.

The other nurse says: The one with curly hair. To which Marcy replies: they both have curly hair.

the other says: the one who wears glasses. To which Marcy replies: they both wear glasses.

Marcy, exasperated, asks: was this Dr. Smith black or white?

And the nurse replies: I don't see color.

The training, in part, aims to get people to move past pat answers like that.

bd625851ea235c8d3ae5aa33307a57c9.jpg

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Different opinions are not allowed - reality be darned 

Certain opinions don't mesh well with a civilized, multi-ethnic society. "It's ok for police to treat people differently because of their skin color" and "so what if you're discriminated against because of your ethnicity?" would be examples. Certainly a lot of (mostly white) people DO have those opinions, but it doesn't mean those opinions should be treated with respect by everyone else or that spouting them in public should be met with nothing more than a shrug, given the historical precedence that shows how, once accommodated as "normal", those types of attitudes can lead to dangerous consequences.

• Like 4

Love “Jump Start” my favorite characters are the mixed race couple. She is a whiz at auto repair (had a bunch of brothers) and he.... has a wife who is a whiz at auto repair. 😆 (ok my dad was an auto mechanic  and those genes skipped me). Just so many stereotypes blown up in that strip in a funny non preachy way.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Continental said:

No surprise here.

DCP is lining up on this issue exactly the same way it does with every other issue concerning political ideology. 

This thread is not that far from being closed. 

Sad considering this shouldn’t be a political issue but rather being on the side of basic human decency. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Slingerland said:

So 400 years of enslavement and legalized discrimination don't factor into your concerns? Lower income groups have higher level of criminality on a per capita basis than high income groups (though no one's been looting the last 40 years like the top guys). Why would African Americans be more likely to be low income after 150 years of nominal 'equality' than other ethnic groups?

Until you address THAT issue head on and recognize that the country never took the cultural and legal steps necessary to grant black Americans full equality in issues having to do with voting, property rights, etc, etc, etc, focusing on what 20-somethings involved in gang pissing wars is more than a little disingenuous, imho. Anyone who marched drum corps in the 60s and 70s was born into a country where it was still legal to deny black people the right to vote in some states, so this isn't ancient history. 

You responded to what I didn't say...not what I actually said. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

Sad considering this shouldn’t be a political issue but rather being on the side of basic human decency. 

That's a great point and the post you responded to should be edited:
"DCP is lining up on this issue exactly the same way it does with every other issue concerning human decency."

And don't forget the B side:
"DCP is lining up on this issue exactly the same way it does with every other issue concerning science."

• Like 1