What was the worst food a Drum Corps ever fed you?

The Wife just started cooking with PC and when the tour headed east she finally found her favorite breakfast food at a local grocery -- grits. She cooked up a "mess of 'em" (as we say) and had them out for breakfast. Yes -- lots of puzzled looks from the California folks, but there were some brave souls who tried them and got hooked. The staff, too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

The Wife just started cooking with PC and when the tour headed east she finally found her favorite breakfast food at a local grocery -- grits. She cooked up a "mess of 'em" (as we say) and had them out for breakfast. Yes -- lots of puzzled looks from the California folks, but there were some brave souls who tried them and got hooked. The staff, too. 

She says working with SOA they left on tour with enough grits to last the entire season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Yup. I wasn't impressed.

When I think of fake cheese, I think of Cheez Whiz (ugh) - even though I had eaten plenty of Kraft singles in my youth.   I suppose Mac and Cheese is fake as well - had a lot of that.

There was one time at Laguardia Airport where I came off a flight and had to wait for hours for a connecting flight only to have very few food options in the terminal (pre-renovation).   There was a fast food stand with one of those rolling hot-dog oven things. 

Few hot-dogs were left but I was so hungry.   I asked for one.  The person behind the counter asked me if I would like some American cheese on it.  It sounded so good in my famished state.

He then brought the hot-dog on a bun to a nozzle and squirted liquid cheese on it.  My stomach turned.  It was so disgusting to look at.   I had to concentrate to prevent myself from projectile vomiting in Laguardia airport. 

I paid for it and just left it on the plate. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Continental said:

When I think of fake cheese, I think of Cheez Whiz (ugh) - even though I had eaten plenty of Kraft singles in my youth.   I suppose Mac and Cheese is fake as well - had a lot of that.

There was one time at Laguardia Airport where I came off a flight and had to wait for hours for a connecting flight only to have very few food options in the terminal (pre-renovation).   There was a fast food stand with one of those rolling hot-dog oven things. 

Few hot-dogs were left but I was so hungry.   I asked for one.  The person behind the counter asked me if I would like some American cheese on it.  It sounded so good in my famished state.

He then brought the hot-dog on a bun to a nozzle and squirted liquid cheese on it.  My stomach turned.  It was so disgusting to look at.   I had to concentrate to prevent myself from projectile vomiting in Laguardia airport. 

I paid for it and just left it on the plate. 

Ick.

blue baloney. 

11 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

blue baloney. 

Wasn't that a song by Linda Ronstadt?

The "blue baloney" reminded of this :

Years ago I worked at a  Snack Bar in an  S.S. Kresge . 

The hot dogs we served came in an unmarked white box.

One time,when I put them on the steam table,some of them  got green

stripes, where the steam touched them.

Called my Manager over.

He said it wasn't a problem,just put that side down on the bun.

Nah,when he left,they went in the trash.

Edited by rpbobcat

On 6/20/2020 at 11:49 PM, CrownBariDad said:

No grits & I'm from the South; texture issue.  Prefer hash browns especially the Waffle House flavor. 🙌 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

OMG.......ours was at least a pale flesh color.  I think you just moved into at least 2nd place (silver medal).

Do drum corps still serve processed meat to their members?

As I got older my body decided that any processed meat would result in an Academy Award winning performance of Krakatoa, Pompeii, Mount Saint Helens and Mount Pinatubo - combined.

So I have to abstain.

This means I would probably be able to march Bridgemen because popcorn doesn't bother me.