Pandemic fiscal survival for Corps

I have a great deal of concern over the fiscal survival of corps as the world faces this pandemic.  Whereas I have seen some creative fundraising, and great efforts on the part of alumni, my concerns remain, and I am a bit alarmed that I do not see any (at least advertised) "game plans" regarding this.  First off, everyone is expecting a 2021 season.  If all goes perfect....(1) an effective vaccine for the virus is available to all by the end of the first quarter or early 2nd quarter of 2021, or (2) highly successful treatments for anyone infected are developed that stop the virus cold,  or (3) somehow the disease dies down on it's own.....then, we will very most likely see a season.  I am cautiously optimistic, as there has never been a bigger worldwide effort toward a vaccine.  However, there is a real chance that we may not be out of the woods by next Spring.  I think that all of the member corps need to consider (1) The current model......2 million dollar plus budgets, $4000+ membership fees,  huge staffs,  huge travel schedules.....all of these have made corps survival a challenge, even in fairly good economic times.  Even if everything falls perfectly into place.....a vaccine, a return of most jobs, schools back to normal, etc......a strong return will not happen overnight, and the country could remain in economic depression or at the least, severe recession.....for quite some time.  My purpose here is to not simply state "doom and gloom", but propose a model that I think could work and possibly insure the future of the corps.  I know that some will find my suggestions a bit "radical", but I think in light of what we face,  it may require that.   (1) Corps should aim to reduce their average budget from 2 million dollars to around 800k.  If they gun for that and it's a million, and they can come up with that, so be it, but I would go for a 60% reduction.  Here is how I think it could happen.  (1) shorten the season.  July 1st until August 7th championship.  (2) Corps would compete regionally   (East, Midwest, West, South) until July 22nd.  On July 22nd, tours would slowly start moving and groups crossing out of region, through August 3rd.  There are no "full regionals" with everybody there.  None.  There is a high possibility that some competitors might not go head to head until nationals.   There WILL be some of the traditional big shows......DCI East, DCI Midwest....for example..........but not everyone will be there.   (3) I do think that fuel prices will remain lower than what they were due to the depression,  and DCI might capitalize on a fuel consortium to save even more, like they have done in the past  (4) reduce "paid" staff significantly......recent "apprentice age outs" could perhaps fill some void by being hired by just doing some things to not cost them money, but not pay them......food while with the corps, same housing, transportation, and help with getting them in and out.  A typical staff would be reduced to......Brass arranger, two additional brass instructors.....Percussion arranger, two additional percussion instructors.......visual designer, two marching instructors, one guard instructor.  This is 10 people, and 10-15 could be the norm......I just called up a staff of a finalist to get an idea, and they have 69 people listed.  I won a title being part of a 16 person staff.  (5) Have a "national move-in day set at 6/15...not unlike rehearsal restrictions that sports teams have....it will establish an equal playing field, and also help all to save money.  (6) Encourage (but not force) corps to consider doing drills that do not have "8 million sets", so that the corps can achieve a decent performance level in a shorter time span, focus on moving and playing WELL, and insuring a solid product right out of the gate.  (7) Props, especially expensive ones, should be highly discouraged.....rely on performance, not "glitz".......one corps last year was in serious financial trouble, yet they spent over 60K in props (and they didn't help their performance......).  (8) consider a return to uniforms that can be worn and maintained for multiple years,  (at least for the musicians), instead of the yearly new "costumes" that are being used currently with mixed audience reaction  (9) encourage maintenance of current brass, percussion, and electronics.....for 3-5 years.....instead of new equipment each year or 2.........(10) explore the idea of all of the DCI corps to consider the use of the same insurance company, (and allow bids), if that company can reduce the insurance costs for all of the corps in return for getting all of the corps' business.   (11) Reduce the prices for premium (40-40) seats modestly, and the price for outside of the 40"s significantly.....keeping them at "non-recession" prices wiould actually create less income as struggling fans are priced out    Not any one thing is going to cut the budget all the way down, but the combination of all, with a frugal approach, can make it possible.  You would still have 33 possible days of regular season shows, and 36 counting championship rounds.....Even if a corps took one day per week off, they could still easily get in 30 contests, which is actually more than many are doing now.   Corps should also consider that family fiscal situations of members could see dire change in the next year.  Corps should consider lowering costs to 2 K per member, and many have also already credited part of what was already paid for 2020 to 2021.   They should also consider doing the typical things that the band and indoor world are already doing by creating more individual fund raising opportunities for members.  It's more work for all, but far more "inclusive", providing a means for those who are really struggling to come up with the funds other than just the sponsorships and "fund me" pleas that are the norm for today.  I am sure that some will say that the suggestions are extreme, but I honestly think that some administrations are going to be living in a "dream world" if they expect "business as usual" to happen in drum corps at a time of national depression.  I believe that being pro-active, and starting the planning now, will allow the activity to not only survive, but thrive......especially after things start to gradually head toward "normal" again.....hopefully.........

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Thank you for your thoughts.  The majority of these same thoughts have been discussed in several threads.  To me, having a 2021 season, however it is put together, seems unlikely.  Even a watered down version may not get the casual fan to attend a show.  Some corps will have the financial stability, but all that money won't get the schools open.  May this opinion be shot down.

7 hours ago, Bob984 said:

I have a great deal of concern over the fiscal survival of corps as the world faces this pandemic.  Whereas I have seen some creative fundraising, and great efforts on the part of alumni, my concerns remain, and I am a bit alarmed that I do not see any (at least advertised) "game plans" regarding this. 

First off, everyone is expecting a 2021 season.  If all goes perfectly, meaning an effective vaccine for the virus is available to all by the end of the first quarter or early 2nd quarter of 2021, or highly successful treatments for anyone infected are developed that stop the virus cold,  or somehow the disease dies down on it's own.....then, we will very most likely see a season.  I am cautiously optimistic, as there has never been a bigger worldwide effort toward a vaccine.  However, there is a real chance that we may not be out of the woods by next Spring. 

I think that all of the member corps need to consider the current model......2 million dollar plus budgets, $4000+ membership fees,  huge staffs,  huge travel schedules.....all of these have made corps survival a challenge, even in fairly good economic times.  Even if everything falls perfectly into place.....a vaccine, a return of most jobs, schools back to normal, etc......a strong return will not happen overnight, and the country could remain in economic depression or at the least, severe recession.....for quite some time. 

My purpose here is to not simply state "doom and gloom", but propose a model that I think could work and possibly insure the future of the corps.  I know that some will find my suggestions a bit "radical", but I think in light of what we face,  it may require that.

Shorten the season.  July 1st until August 7th championship.  In addition . . 

(1) Corps should aim to reduce their average budget from 2 million dollars to around 800k.  If they gun for that and it's a million, and they can come up with that, so be it, but I would go for a 60% reduction.  Here is how I think it could happen.

(2) Corps would compete regionally   (East, Midwest, West, South) until July 22nd.  On July 22nd, tours would slowly start moving and groups crossing out of region, through August 3rd.  There are no "full regionals" with everybody there.  None.  There is a high possibility that some competitors might not go head to head until nationals.   There WILL be some of the traditional big shows......DCI East, DCI Midwest....for example..........but not everyone will be there.

(3) I do think that fuel prices will remain lower than what they were due to the depression,  and DCI might capitalize on a fuel consortium to save even more, like they have done in the past.

(4) Reduce "paid" staff significantly......recent "apprentice age outs" could perhaps fill some void by being hired by just doing some things to not cost them money, but not pay them......food while with the corps, same housing, transportation, and help with getting them in and out.  A typical staff would be reduced to......Brass arranger, two additional brass instructors.....Percussion arranger, two additional percussion instructors.......visual designer, two marching instructors, one guard instructor.  This is 10 people, and 10-15 could be the norm......I just called up a staff of a finalist to get an idea, and they have 69 people listed.  I won a title being part of a 16 person staff. 

(5) Have a "national move-in day set at 6/15...not unlike rehearsal restrictions that sports teams have....it will establish an equal playing field, and also help all to save money.

(6) Encourage (but not force) corps to consider doing drills that do not have "8 million sets", so that the corps can achieve a decent performance level in a shorter time span, focus on moving and playing WELL, and insuring a solid product right out of the gate.

(7) Props, especially expensive ones, should be highly discouraged.....rely on performance, not "glitz".......one corps last year was in serious financial trouble, yet they spent over 60K in props (and they didn't help their performance).

(😎 Consider a return to uniforms that can be worn and maintained for multiple years,  (at least for the musicians), instead of the yearly new "costumes" that are being used currently with mixed audience reaction

(9) encourage maintenance of current brass, percussion, and electronics.....for 3-5 years.....instead of new equipment each year or 2.........

(10) explore the idea of all of the DCI corps to consider the use of the same insurance company, (and allow bids), if that company can reduce the insurance costs for all of the corps in return for getting all of the corps' business.

(11) Reduce the prices for premium (40-40) seats modestly, and the price for outside of the 40"s significantly.....keeping them at "non-recession" prices wiould actually create less income as struggling fans are priced out.

Not any one thing is going to cut the budget all the way down, but the combination of all, with a frugal approach, can make it possible.  You would still have 33 possible days of regular season shows, and 36 counting championship rounds.....Even if a corps took one day per week off, they could still easily get in 30 contests, which is actually more than many are doing now.

Corps should also consider that family fiscal situations of members could see dire change in the next year.  Corps should consider lowering costs to 2 K per member, and many have also already credited part of what was already paid for 2020 to 2021.   They should also consider doing the typical things that the band and indoor world are already doing by creating more individual fund raising opportunities for members.  It's more work for all, but far more "inclusive", providing a means for those who are really struggling to come up with the funds other than just the sponsorships and "fund me" pleas that are the norm for today.

I am sure that some will say that the suggestions are extreme, but I honestly think that some administrations are going to be living in a "dream world" if they expect "business as usual" to happen in drum corps at a time of national depression.  I believe that being pro-active, and starting the planning now, will allow the activity to not only survive, but thrive......especially after things start to gradually head toward "normal" again.....hopefully.

Bob -

I am grateful for your excellent and thorough examination of the challenges facing our corps for 2021.  I am in tune with most of your ideas and know they will help guide our leaders going forward.

Like many, I have grown weary of all the (to me) unnecessary ‘Virtue Signaling’ that has consumed this site. Nice to talk drum corps at this depth!

It is with utmost respect for your efforts I took the liberty to make minor edits and layout adjustments to your piece, for clarity. I had difficulty reading the original format used. This former educator, admitted perfectionist, couldn’t help myself. Hope you understand that ‘sickness.’

Having previously expressed thoughts similar to yours, one concern remains in my mind.  That is, through it all,  DCI possibly continues to include 5-6 corps who will not be as hard-pressed despite the newer environment ahead. I believe a small group of competitors will still be in position to operate as they did in 2019.  Call this the Elite Group.  Much like the old G-7 philosophers.

I can envision such an advantageous ‘Elite Group’ choosing to maintain their present higher standards . . . . because they can !

The desire to recruit members worldwide, hire the best team of managers, be the ultimate, state-of-the-art spectacle of its form, will remain as strong in the hearts of participants as it always has been. That enduring human quest for a ‘perfect 10,’ so to speak.

Please comment on the possibility of a smaller group ‘going it alone.’

Thank you.

Initial reactions:

1.  There may be a "vaccine by Halloween".  One company has already made that claim, and there are strong natural incentives to make that date.  So that is my new catchphrase.  It even rhymes.  But even if that happens, it is unlikely that vaccine deployment and acceptance throughout the community will be so rapid as to return us to "normal" in time for the same number of people and sites to participate in November auditions.  No matter what, season 2021 will be different.

2.  They are not going to give up a thing, unless it is taken from them by forces beyond their control.  Electronics, props, tarps, annual costiforms, large staffs, long tours, long rehearsals... you name it, they will keep it unless it is impossible to do so.  Many of these things are already committed to, and there is no way to divest from that practice.  For instance, what sense would it make to ask corps to buy more expensive, long-lasting uniforms right now?

My humble hope is that deforestation (i.e. get rid of the amp-the-whole-corps field mic setups) is one area where corps could divest.  But even there, the corps who already own that equipment would need buyers... not sure that exists in the market today.

3.  But I did say "forces beyond their control".  As long as C-19 has not been eradicated, it will create forces that will mess with our ability to line up suitable show sites in a logical tour that we can rely on proceeding without restrictions on travel/assembly preventing fans and corps from attending as planned.  The longer we remain without victory over the virus, the more likely tour will be substantially different as a result.

4.  Usually, I adopt the "do not panic" stance.  But just in case the previous talk here is accurate about corps hemorrhaging $100K per month while shut down, the key to DCI recovering might be in facilitating the rise of new/developing corps to replace those who do not survive the pandemic.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Thank you for your thoughts.  The majority of these same thoughts have been discussed in several threads.  To me, having a 2021 season, however it is put together, seems unlikely.  Even a watered down version may not get the casual fan to attend a show.  Some corps will have the financial stability, but all that money won't get the schools open.  May this opinion be shot down.

I work in clinical trials and in fact on COVID-19. I cannot speak on behalf of my company so this is my educated belief: I believe it is almost certain we will have several effective, approved and ready vaccines by January, as well as dozens of drugs that will effectively treat at least some of the most serious symptoms. It is almost unthinkable to believe that no country in the world will have a successful vaccine at this point, because the entire scientific community is working together with powerful computer models that are essentially running trials on computers before they even make it to human testing. That’s why we have five government sponsored vaccines that are all likely to work, albeit in different ways.

Never before in human history have we seen multiple clinical trials, in multiple countries, for the same virus get to approved Phase 3 trials as quickly as this has. Let alone at risk manufacturing. If you only watch the news and don’t understand clinical trials, to be fair, you cannot possibly appreciate how fast this is moving. There are over 100 different clinical trials happening simultaneously all over the world. Unprecedented. They all fall into a few different buckets of approaches, and each one has scientific efficacy. In other words, there is reason to believe that each approach will be effective.

I think the biggest hurdle may be housing. Attendance will return, streaming will be much bigger than before, but where do kids sleep? Will school systems open up their buildings? That to me is very fragile.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We may need to consider housing sponsors going forward, where sites are paid to host corps. This actually may be able to happen on college campuses due to the fact that a lot of schools probably will have empty dorms next year.

• Like 1

Mentioned this a few times before. DCI the organization responsible for scheduling and promoting events and securing venues as well as assisting with housing and rehearsal sites has no plan in place that would assure its member organizations there is even going to be a season to plan for. They have no liquidity or resources available to make any assurances. 

There is a committee who has been actively reviewing suggestions and considering multiple contingencies. Most are focused on local membership, community involvement, and a manageable performance schedule without the incurred cost of weeks of travel, housing and food expenses.

I’m sure by early 2021 we will have an idea of what the schedule will look like. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

it's tough to put out a plan when the goal posts keep moving it seems weekly. as an administrator for a band circuit, we continue to have plans A thru Z. we are dependant on what schools will do....can they or will they host a show? will they even let the band travel or even perform? band directors want answers for us, but we need answers from their state/local governments as well as each inidividual school. and right now school administrators have more pressing worries than whether their band competes or hosts a show.

this carries over to DCI/DCA. who knows what the availability of facilities will be by then. hell who knows what the world will be like by then. when the target moves daily, announcing long term plans tends to blow up in ones face.

1 hour ago, MikeRapp said:

We may need to consider housing sponsors going forward, where sites are paid to host corps. This actually may be able to happen on college campuses due to the fact that a lot of schools probably will have empty dorms next year.

most hosts get paid now. 

2 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Mentioned this a few times before. DCI the organization responsible for scheduling and promoting events and securing venues as well as assisting with housing and rehearsal sites has no plan in place that would assure its member organizations there is even going to be a season to plan for. They have no liquidity or resources available to make any assurances. 

There is a committee who has been actively reviewing suggestions and considering multiple contingencies. Most are focused on local membership, community involvement, and a manageable performance schedule without the incurred cost of weeks of travel, housing and food expenses.

I’m sure by early 2021 we will have an idea of what the schedule will look like. 

If 2021 is cancelled too I can show you the schedule now

• Like 1