Pandemic fiscal survival for Corps

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Initial reactions:

1.  There may be a "vaccine by Halloween".  One company has already made that claim, and there are strong natural incentives to make that date.  So that is my new catchphrase.  It even rhymes.  But even if that happens, it is unlikely that vaccine deployment and acceptance throughout the community will be so rapid as to return us to "normal" in time for the same number of people and sites to participate in November auditions.  No matter what, season 2021 will be different.

2.  They are not going to give up a thing, unless it is taken from them by forces beyond their control.  Electronics, props, tarps, annual costiforms, large staffs, long tours, long rehearsals... you name it, they will keep it unless it is impossible to do so.  Many of these things are already committed to, and there is no way to divest from that practice.  For instance, what sense would it make to ask corps to buy more expensive, long-lasting uniforms right now?

My humble hope is that deforestation (i.e. get rid of the amp-the-whole-corps field mic setups) is one area where corps could divest.  But even there, the corps who already own that equipment would need buyers... not sure that exists in the market today.

3.  But I did say "forces beyond their control".  As long as C-19 has not been eradicated, it will create forces that will mess with our ability to line up suitable show sites in a logical tour that we can rely on proceeding without restrictions on travel/assembly preventing fans and corps from attending as planned.  The longer we remain without victory over the virus, the more likely tour will be substantially different as a result.

4.  Usually, I adopt the "do not panic" stance.  But just in case the previous talk here is accurate about corps hemorrhaging $100K per month while shut down, the key to DCI recovering might be in facilitating the rise of new/developing corps to replace those who do not survive the pandemic.

I wholeheartedly agree with every single thing in this post. 

I do want to add the other concern in the back of my mind which essentially boils down to participants in close quarters 24/7, whether it be on buses or sleeping in school gyms (assuming schools become receptive to hosting)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I work in clinical trials and in fact on COVID-19. I cannot speak on behalf of my company so this is my educated belief: I believe it is almost certain we will have several effective, approved and ready vaccines by January, as well as dozens of drugs that will effectively treat at least some of the most serious symptoms. It is almost unthinkable to believe that no country in the world will have a successful vaccine at this point, because the entire scientific community is working together with powerful computer models that are essentially running trials on computers before they even make it to human testing. That’s why we have five government sponsored vaccines that are all likely to work, albeit in different ways.

Never before in human history have we seen multiple clinical trials, in multiple countries, for the same virus get to approved Phase 3 trials as quickly as this has. Let alone at risk manufacturing. If you only watch the news and don’t understand clinical trials, to be fair, you cannot possibly appreciate how fast this is moving. There are over 100 different clinical trials happening simultaneously all over the world. Unprecedented. They all fall into a few different buckets of approaches, and each one has scientific efficacy. In other words, there is reason to believe that each approach will be effective.

I think the biggest hurdle may be housing. Attendance will return, streaming will be much bigger than before, but where do kids sleep? Will school systems open up their buildings? That to me is very fragile.

Thanks for your vaccine insight.   I agree that unprecedented efforts, worldwide, are happening to come up with an effective vaccine......I just read about a Russian group that actually had scientists/doctors inject themselves as test "subjects".....it shows the care and desire worldwide.  I think that it is of paramount importance and I pray that we get a great vaccine and that the pandemic can be stopped in it's tracks......wouldn't it be a great Christmas gift to the world to have it announced then, and it's available shortly after.....................

I think that school systems will open up their buildings if the virus has been largely halted by then, and somebody else mentioned college dorms as possibilities.  On the other hand, if the virus is still substantial by May 1, I don't see a season happening.   I am hoping and praying for a great vaccine...........

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Will school systems open up their buildings? That to me is very fragile.

Once there's a vaccine that's been widely administered, I don't see why not.

Until then, not so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's tough to put out a plan when the goal posts keep moving it seems weekly. as an administrator for a band circuit, we continue to have plans A thru Z. we are dependant on what schools will do....can they or will they host a show? will they even let the band travel or even perform? band directors want answers for us, but we need answers from their state/local governments as well as each inidividual school. and right now school administrators have more pressing worries than whether their band competes or hosts a show.

this carries over to DCI/DCA. who knows what the availability of facilities will be by then. hell who knows what the world will be like by then. when the target moves daily, announcing long term plans tends to blow up in ones face.

I agree with all that you say.  My main point is that I think that "business as usual"...2 million+ budgets, 4k+ fees, extreme expenditures during a depression....now is probably the time for the corps to start making some tough budget decisions pro-actively...........what I sense is an overly-optimistic "we'll be fine" outlook, and then that becomes tougher to suddenly do......you are right that we are sailing in unchartered waters, and if the country and the world can't eradicate this virus,  who knows what things will be like one year from today......praying for a great vaccine............

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

I work in clinical trials and in fact on COVID-19. I cannot speak on behalf of my company so this is my educated belief: I believe it is almost certain we will have several effective, approved and ready vaccines by January, as well as dozens of drugs that will effectively treat at least some of the most serious symptoms. It is almost unthinkable to believe that no country in the world will have a successful vaccine at this point, because the entire scientific community is working together with powerful computer models that are essentially running trials on computers before they even make it to human testing. That’s why we have five government sponsored vaccines that are all likely to work, albeit in different ways.

Never before in human history have we seen multiple clinical trials, in multiple countries, for the same virus get to approved Phase 3 trials as quickly as this has. Let alone at risk manufacturing. If you only watch the news and don’t understand clinical trials, to be fair, you cannot possibly appreciate how fast this is moving. There are over 100 different clinical trials happening simultaneously all over the world. Unprecedented. They all fall into a few different buckets of approaches, and each one has scientific efficacy. In other words, there is reason to believe that each approach will be effective. 

With the citizens of earth wanting to get a vaccine, it's going to be interesting to watch how it gets distributed and in what sequence to earthlings.  There will need to be many companies producing a proven vaccine to produce billions of it in the shortest period of time.

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Bob -

I am grateful for your excellent and thorough examination of the challenges facing our corps for 2021.  I am in tune with most of your ideas and know they will help guide our leaders going forward.

Like many, I have grown weary of all the (to me) unnecessary ‘Virtue Signaling’ that has consumed this site. Nice to talk drum corps at this depth!

It is with utmost respect for your efforts I took the liberty to make minor edits and layout adjustments to your piece, for clarity. I had difficulty reading the original format used. This former educator, admitted perfectionist, couldn’t help myself. Hope you understand that ‘sickness.’

Having previously expressed thoughts similar to yours, one concern remains in my mind.  That is, through it all,  DCI possibly continues to include 5-6 corps who will not be as hard-pressed despite the newer environment ahead. I believe a small group of competitors will still be in position to operate as they did in 2019.  Call this the Elite Group.  Much like the old G-7 philosophers.

I can envision such an advantageous ‘Elite Group’ choosing to maintain their present higher standards . . . . because they can !

The desire to recruit members worldwide, hire the best team of managers, be the ultimate, state-of-the-art spectacle of its form, will remain as strong in the hearts of participants as it always has been. That enduring human quest for a ‘perfect 10,’ so to speak.

Please comment on the possibility of a smaller group ‘going it alone.’

Thank you.

I do agree with you that there are a few corps who will still get the money and have the draw........I would just hope that all of the directors can have a few caring conference calls and perhaps decide some things for the common good of all.  You may have one group that can afford to zig-zag all over the country..........however, another group  REALLY needs to cut back on the miles significantly to make it through......if we only cater to the rich, some could fall by the wayside.  I was always against the "G-7" concept......I found it, frankly, to be a bit arrogant, as if they were somehow "vastly superior".....which they are not.    I would remind those at the top that "David has slayed Goliath" more than once in this activity........and I have always rooted for the underdog....lol.........I would also say to those in charge that while some try a million different "fancy"  foods and are never fully satisfied, I will always love a perfectly made steak and a baked potato..............simple, good, timeless.................and I am not the only one...............

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob984 said:

I would also say to those in charge that while some try a million different "fancy"  foods and are never fully satisfied, I will always love a perfectly made steak and a baked potato..............simple, good, timeless 

And you've gained a lasting friend of the cattle ranches of the world.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

And you've gained a lasting friend of the cattle ranches of the world.

In my life, it's a challenge.....with a serious heart condition, I eat one very small, lean steak per month...........and the cravings for both a good steak and a juicy hamburger sometimes are probably the same level as a drug addict........lol....................but I do manage to abstain..........

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Bob984 said:

I do agree with you that there are a few corps who will still get the money and have the draw........I would just hope that all of the directors can have a few caring conference calls and perhaps decide some things for the common good of all.  You may have one group that can afford to zig-zag all over the country..........however, another group  REALLY needs to cut back on the miles significantly to make it through......if we only cater to the rich, some could fall by the wayside.  I was always against the "G-7" concept......I found it, frankly, to be a bit arrogant, as if they were somehow "vastly superior".....which they are not.    I would remind those at the top that "David has slayed Goliath" more than once in this activity........and I have always rooted for the underdog....lol.........I would also say to those in charge that while some try a million different "fancy"  foods and are never fully satisfied, I will always love a perfectly made steak and a baked potato..............simple, good, timeless.................and I am not the only one...............

I have to remind you ( I've said this for a very long time ) If you want what you say, the easiest way to do it and could have done, it  is run to OC shows, stay or get to the shows to see smaller corps, people need to put their money up instead of opinion. MONEY TALKS. WGI High School and independent A class is where the bread and butter money is and WGI finally figured out don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Unfortunately in DCI Goliath will always control because David doesn't bring it to the table in way of $$$$$ and people support. This is fact , not debatable. People have to admit it and if serious do something about it with total support. This will bring change or at least bring everyone to the same table.

Action speaks much louder than words....JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1