Pandemic fiscal survival for Corps

2 hours ago, Bob984 said:

I agree with all that you say.  My main point is that I think that "business as usual"...2 million+ budgets, 4k+ fees, extreme expenditures during a depression....now is probably the time for the corps to start making some tough budget decisions pro-actively...........what I sense is an overly-optimistic "we'll be fine" outlook, and then that becomes tougher to suddenly do......you are right that we are sailing in unchartered waters, and if the country and the world can't eradicate this virus,  who knows what things will be like one year from today......praying for a great vaccine............

many have already. outside of some salary expenses, i can't imagine they are spending a lot unles it's paying off debts. you won't have the food, fuel, housing and insurance costs til maybe November. the budgets you cite are a full active seasons costs. so in essence, most of those costs don't exist this year. some may be smart and draw on some lines to help pay some other bils down in the mean time, or tap some rainy day funds if they are smart enough...or we'll see endles fundraising but hell we see that already

speaking of fundraising, the Crossmen live event this past weekend had a goal of $46,000, they got into the mid $80,000's.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I have to remind you ( I've said this for a very long time ) If you want what you say, the easiest way to do it and could have done, it  is run to OC shows, stay or get to the shows to see smaller corps, people need to put their money up instead of opinion. MONEY TALKS. WGI High School and independent A class is where the bread and butter money is and WGI finally figured out don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Unfortunately in DCI Goliath will always control because David doesn't bring it to the table in way of $$$$$ and people support. This is fact , not debatable. People have to admit it and if serious do something about it with total support. This will bring change or at least bring everyone to the same table.

Action speaks much louder than words....JMO

An issue may be finding enough ‘local’ venues for early / mid season. West cost seems in best shape do to their current show setup, but midwest not so much. Remember the old DCM add usually on the back page of DCW?  Listed 30+ shows all within WI-IL- eastern IA & western MI region. All gone now thanks to DCI forcing a national tour in early 00s. 

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

An issue may be finding enough ‘local’ venues for early / mid season. West cost seems in best shape do to their current show setup, but midwest not so much. Remember the old DCM add usually on the back page of DCW?  Listed 30+ shows all within WI-IL- eastern IA & western MI region. All gone now thanks to DCI forcing a national tour in early 00s. 

What I was talking about was nothing new..Decades old. Ask yourself, how many people run for the big guys? How often over the years have you heard , I have time OR I'm going to the lot no ones on right now or corps XYZ doesn't go till much later. THIS is why the little guys don't have the same pull as the big guys and there's only 1 way to change that. On tour I have seen literally empty stands and suddenly fill up fast the later it gets.

WGI finally got this BUT more importantly the A class members realized that THEY were the ones who were at least equal in revenue but more so in fees bring way more money in than lets say other classes.

No matter what the model is , people can change that. But unfortunately have not. They voice it , but don't act.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:21 PM, Ghost said:

With the citizens of earth wanting to get a vaccine, it's going to be interesting to watch how it gets distributed and in what sequence to earthlings.  There will need to be many companies producing a proven vaccine to produce billions of it in the shortest period of time.

First, all five of the American government sponsored clinical trials are approved to manufacture at full capacity before final approval in the event that one or all get approved. This ensures that there are millions of doses ready the moment it is approved.

Second, there will be successful vaccines of all different types tested and approved in the Uk, China, Japan and Israel.

Finally, you don’t need 100% of the population immune to effectively stop the community spread of a virus. Ive read that 30% is the key threshold. We already have over a million Americans immune.

In the grand scheme of things, while this virus is about three times more contagious than the common flu, it is not complex. The vast majority of people who contract this virus appear to show little to no symptoms. This is actually a problem because you often don’t even know you have it and therefore might be unknowingly spreading it. For the most part, the only people who are at extreme health risk appear to be those who have other serious health problems, namely obesity, diabetes and heart disease. That’s because these conditions are already effecting your respiratory system.

Almost all of the diagnosed patients are sent home to recover. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/19/2020 at 8:29 PM, MikeRapp said:

We already have over a million Americans immune.

Gotta be more than that, no? The U.S. has had approximately 2.3 million confirmed infections and 120,000 confirmed deaths. And everyone agrees tha there are more actual infections than confirmed infections, so we must be well past 1 million with immunity by now.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:01 PM, Jeff Ream said:

speaking of fundraising, the Crossmen live event this past weekend had a goal of $46,000, they got into the mid $80,000's.

That's fantastic!

7 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Gotta be more than that, no? The U.S. has had approximately 2.3 million confirmed infections and 120,000 confirmed deaths. And everyone agrees tha there are more actual infections than confirmed infections, so we must be well past 1 million with immunity by now.

Probably well past four or five million, if reports of the antibody test being unreliable past three months are accurate.

Edited by MikeRapp

10 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Probably well past four or five million, if reports of the antibody test being unreliable past three months are accurate.

Putting on my population ecologist hat, the number of individuals with immunity is important, but equally important is how they are distributed across the fruited plain.  I suspect (based on gut feeling) that there would be a higher density of immune (to some degree) individuals in areas that had the highest number of cases.  Do we know (asking you MR) if the asymptomatic cases develop antibodies at the same rate as individuals who have survived acute infections?

And back on-topic:  Having marched in what would now be called Open Class, I find I actually enjoy watching OC shows more than many WC shows.  So I would have no problem with smaller, regional tours.  But IDK if the show infrastructure exists for that any more. 

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

And back on-topic:  Having marched in what would now be called Open Class, I find I actually enjoy watching OC shows more than many WC shows.

Me too, and for me I think the reason is that they're less likely to bite off more than they can chew.

• Like 1