Pandemic fiscal survival for Corps

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Putting on my population ecologist hat, the number of individuals with immunity is important, but equally important is how they are distributed across the fruited plain.  I suspect (based on gut feeling) that there would be a higher density of immune (to some degree) individuals in areas that had the highest number of cases.  Do we know (asking you MR) if the asymptomatic cases develop antibodies at the same rate as individuals who have survived acute infections?

And back on-topic:  Having marched in what would now be called Open Class, I find I actually enjoy watching OC shows more than many WC shows.  So I would have no problem with smaller, regional tours.  But IDK if the show infrastructure exists for that any more. 

It;s to bad more people didn't feel that way. OC would have more to say IF they could get butts in the seats. I've said it many times, WGI learned this with A class. especially HS A's

Unfortunately in DCI people talk but don't produce, then get mad when OC doesn't get the same respect. There is 1 way to fix that.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

OC would have more to say IF they could get butts in the seats.

The O.C. show closest to my house, in Avon Lake, seems to draw a lot more people than O.C. Finals does.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

The O.C. show closest to my house, in Avon Lake, seems to draw a lot more people than O.C. Finals does.

I can't tell you how many shows on tour I have seen literally empty stands. Even in WC empty till the big guys come on. Sad, especially for the members

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

I can't tell you how many shows on tour I have seen literally empty stands. Even in WC empty till the big guys come on. Sad, especially for the members

Not all that different from the old Garden State Circuit days when I marched (late 60's), taught (mid-70's) and judged (mid 70's to 80'ish). 

We often performed to zero people. Corps held shows because the circuit required it, so they did it as cheaply as possible. 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeD said:

Not all that different from the old Garden State Circuit days when I marched (late 60's), taught (mid-70's) and judged (mid 70's to 80'ish). 

We often performed to zero people. Corps held shows because the circuit required it, so they did it as cheaply as possible. 

Exactly, Sad but true. So when people complain about how OC or smaller corps don't have a say and the big guys are evil. Get out of the lot, go support OC, stop tailgating and fill those stands. Talk is one thing , action is quite another.

• Like 2

I think there are two issues here.  First is the survivability of DCI in the (hopefully)wake of the pandemic.  Second is the touring model and budget considerations.  While I share the concerns about DCI's sustainability, the original post just feels to me like some folks are using the pandemic to try to revert DCI back to the 1976 activity.  Seriously, the number of staff people or the size of props has very little to do with ensuring corps members are able to remain healthy.

I do see tour housing as a huge challenge, and the college dorm idea has a great deal of merit. It is quite possible that this will all change very quickly with the eventual vaccines.  In Boston, the MODERNA company is in it's final trials, and those folks are so sure that will get the final approval that they already have over 5 million doses ready to go when they get the green light.

Let's hope it is soon!

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, craiga said:

In Boston, the MODERNA company is in it's final trials, and those folks are so sure that will get the final approval that they already have over 5 million doses ready to go when they get the green light.  Let's hope it is soon!

And one would guess they have already contacted all the alphabet agencies with their test results.

33 minutes ago, Ghost said:

And one would guess they have already contacted all the alphabet agencies with their test results.

Test results in non-China countries are being shared by everyone. China claims all sorts of things but no one trusts them.

3 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Test results in non-China countries are being shared by everyone. China claims all sorts of things but no one trusts them.

Wondering what to trust here also. I have homes in the North East as well as Florida and a friend of mine is a leading infectious D. Dr. in Florida. This Dr. told me a month ago ," don't believe what you are being told on TV. He said Florida was on the rise and that it's alot of younger people , 20-45. People at the time were being told the opposite. Now just within the past few days, what I was told a month ago is being told by the Gov. now.

One would think I shouldn't know this before them.  Just sayin

Edited by GUARDLING