Pandemic fiscal survival for Corps

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Wondering what to trust here also. I have homes in the North East as well as Florida and a friend of mine is a leading infectious D. Dr. in Florida. This Dr. told me a month ago ," don't believe what you are being told on TV. He said Florida was on the rise and that it's alot of younger people , 20-45. People at the time were being told the opposite. Now just within the past few days, what I was told a month ago is being told by the Gov. now.

One would think I shouldn't know this before them.  Just sayin

By test results I mean clinical trial tests.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Wondering what to trust here also. I have homes in the North East as well as Florida and a friend of mine is a leading infectious D. Dr. in Florida. This Dr. told me a month ago ," don't believe what you are being told on TV. He said Florida was on the rise and that it's alot of younger people , 20-45. People at the time were being told the opposite. Now just within the past few days, what I was told a month ago is being told by the Gov. now.

One would think I shouldn't know this before them.  Just sayin

My son is an OR Nurse at the VA Hospital in Orlando. The past three months he was moved to another location to do COVID screening. He is being moved back to his original job next week, and others are coming back as the OR schedule fills out. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

My son is an OR Nurse at the VA Hospital in Orlando. The past three months he was moved to another location to do COVID screening. He is being moved back to his original job next week, and others are coming back as the OR schedule fills out. 

Quite a different scene than what was presented ( in way of real info ) ..Sad,

People like your son are the true hero's in all this..Thank him from all of us...scary for you too I'm sure

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Quite a different scene than what was presented ( in way of real info ) ..Sad,

People like your son are the true hero's in all this..Thank him from all of us...scary for you too I'm sure

Real info is so boring, though.

I posted the blurb below as a way to have at least some kind of 2021 season:

Just thinking - one way to have a limited 2021 schedule is for the east coast Corps basically team up with DCA for the early season - they are essentially a regional weekend circuit. On west coast there is already a series of early shows in place. Midwest could basically split into northern & southern, with each Corps hosting at least 1-2 competitions.

Just compete within these regions until mid/late July. Then have a limited 2-week western tour (1-2 regionals - Denver & San Antonio) with the Corps west of Mississippi river, and 2 week eastern tour (1-2 regionals - Atlanta & Allentown). Tours meet at Indy - this is the first time all Corps are in one place to compete. This will limit the number of housing sites required at the regionals. Corps that are not able to do the complete tour can drop out after either the local or the regional shows. Also - each Corps is only allowed to tour within their region - No BD to Allentown or BC to Denver. This would make semi- & quarter- finals really interesting.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MikeD said:

My son-in-law is an oncologist - they are now seeing an uptick in more serious / later stage cancers because for several months people were afraid to go to their Dr / ER when they first noticed a lump or other symptom / sign.  And I think this is a wave that will get bigger before it gets smaller.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I posted the blurb below as a way to have at least some kind of 2021 season:

Just thinking - one way to have a limited 2021 schedule is for the east coast Corps basically team up with DCA for the early season - they are essentially a regional weekend circuit. On west coast there is already a series of early shows in place. Midwest could basically split into northern & southern, with each Corps hosting at least 1-2 competitions.

Just compete within these regions until mid/late July. Then have a limited 2-week western tour (1-2 regionals - Denver & San Antonio) with the Corps west of Mississippi river, and 2 week eastern tour (1-2 regionals - Atlanta & Allentown). Tours meet at Indy - this is the first time all Corps are in one place to compete. This will limit the number of housing sites required at the regionals. Corps that are not able to do the complete tour can drop out after either the local or the regional shows. Also - each Corps is only allowed to tour within their region - No BD to Allentown or BC to Denver. This would make semi- & quarter- finals really interesting.

All good ideas..............I believe that the season can be condensed (but still with plenty of shows) and travel expenses really cut down..........also,  nationals would be very exciting, as nobody could really assume anything until everyone goes head to head.   I think that they should consider this even if there is a vaccine and the disease is totally under control...........those who struggle through until then would have a much better chance fiscally then they would if they just start spending huge amounts again.  Also, if corps get more frugal, costs could be lowered for members, and fewer will be priced out, as it is going to take the economy awhile to rebound......frankly, I feel that it was getting to be far too expensive even before this pandemic...................

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

My son-in-law is an oncologist - they are now seeing an uptick in more serious / later stage cancers because for several months people were afraid to go to their Dr / ER when they first noticed a lump or other symptom / sign.  And I think this is a wave that will get bigger before it gets smaller.

Same. We have had surprisingly new, high participation in the Thrive cancer study we launched last fall.
My wife said they are seeing people come in with serious health conditions and situations due to the fact that no one could see them for three months. One lady had a knee replacement just before the pandemic hit and now it is infected, and must be re-done or she will lose her leg.

We will learn from this. But these are hard lessons to learn at this scale.

7 hours ago, Bob984 said:

All good ideas..............I believe that the season can be condensed (but still with plenty of shows) and travel expenses really cut down..........also,  nationals would be very exciting, as nobody could really assume anything until everyone goes head to head.   I think that they should consider this even if there is a vaccine and the disease is totally under control...........those who struggle through until then would have a much better chance fiscally then they would if they just start spending huge amounts again.  Also, if corps get more frugal, costs could be lowered for members, and fewer will be priced out, as it is going to take the economy awhile to rebound......frankly, I feel that it was getting to be far too expensive even before this pandemic...................

The top level corps will still have top level talent and experience. It’s the mid level corps that will suffer with fewer kids auditioning.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

The top level corps will still have top level talent and experience. It’s the mid level corps that will suffer with fewer kids auditioning.

Agreed.............I just think that planning ahead for an abbreviated but still "good" season, with major tour reductions,  would serve ALL of the corps' interests, and

one would hope that the handful of corps who still have the means to return to "business as usual" would be willing to bend their desires a bit to benefit

the ENTIRE activity...........time will tell...............I do think that by the time next Spring rolls around, the level of economic depression may be higher than

expected, as the economy is not going to recover overnight.   Even prior to the pandemic, the cost of membership was/is prohibitive, and many talented

potential members are not joining (or, are "one year and done") because of cost.  If the "mindset" is changed, costs can be significantly reduced for members,

which would make the activity far more accessible to thousands of potential members,  and also assist with member retention.

• Like 1