Pandemic fiscal survival for Corps

1 hour ago, Bob984 said:

Agreed.............I just think that planning ahead for an abbreviated but still "good" season, with major tour reductions,  would serve ALL of the corps' interests, and

one would hope that the handful of corps who still have the means to return to "business as usual" would be willing to bend their desires a bit to benefit

the ENTIRE activity...........time will tell...............I do think that by the time next Spring rolls around, the level of economic depression may be higher than

expected, as the economy is not going to recover overnight.   Even prior to the pandemic, the cost of membership was/is prohibitive, and many talented

potential members are not joining (or, are "one year and done") because of cost.  If the "mindset" is changed, costs can be significantly reduced for members,

which would make the activity far more accessible to thousands of potential members,  and also assist with member retention.

More accessible to try out, but don't forget there are a finite number of available marching positions. Also, some corps have already stated that those who make the corps this year are guaranteed spots in 2021. What would be interesting is to see what happens to current members and 2020 members if the season is reduced in scope/duration in 2021.  Would the 2020 roster members think it is "worth" marching if that reduction happens. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

More accessible to try out, but don't forget there are a finite number of available marching positions. Also, some corps have already stated that those who make the corps this year are guaranteed spots in 2021. What would be interesting is to see what happens to current members and 2020 members if the season is reduced in scope/duration in 2021.  Would the 2020 roster members think it is "worth" marching if that reduction happens. 

Exactly: As I have said in the past, I am involved in many yearly auditions and I can tell you assuming any auditions will go on as normal simply is not true ( at least as of now ) Vaccine or not. 

Now ( and I was waiting for someone to say it ) todays member is not the local kid hanging on street corners looking for something to do, like we did BITD and I don't believe many would think it would be worth it. The combo with DCA which someone mentioned in theory is fine BUT remember DCA is hanging on by a thread and can barely get a good number even for championships.

I think a lot is unknown and I believe there are multiple scenario's which are possible. I can tell you ALL of those possible situations are being discussed, at least by the smart admins. but a return to some bitd model can not be one of them. The world is different, the staff and admin. is different the member is different etc etc.

A return in thinking to the old days imo is not the answer BUT creativity after all this will be essential.  I've talked to many groups, summer , winter and fall as well as dozens of members, potential members, staffs and creativity "IF" there is a 2021 season will be important as well as what the day to day functions might be. Mindboggling to say the least.

• Like 2

Of course everything is ‘up in the air.’ We’ve never faced the same situation before. I can say this with certainty, however. The highlighted ‘product’ will not become anything less than the strongest, most innovative, highly talented display of marching music. Such is the elusive, enduring goal. To occupy a place of accomplishment where few can ever achieve.

Yes, our number of competing organizations might lessen, but the mission of ground-breaking achievement will remain in place. It’s human nature.

Some groups will find a way. The ‘industry’ of music manufacturing equipment and support requires its ‘shining stars’ to display their wares at the highest imaginable level. The audience consumers of this genre demand the best for their money. They’ll get it.

Have you stopped to think, a small group of, say, 8-10 heavy hitters can satisfy the need?

That number of survivors CAN fill the void, and we’ll all pay to enjoy it.

It might be time for a new Drum Corps International Unlimited Division. Yes, other corps performing at various levels, too.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Of course everything is ‘up in the air.’ We’ve never faced the same situation before. I can say this with certainty, however. The highlighted ‘product’ will not become anything less than the strongest, most innovative, highly talented display of marching music. Such is the elusive, enduring goal. To occupy a place of accomplishment where few can ever achieve.

Yes, our number of competing organizations might lessen, but the mission of ground-breaking achievement will remain in place. It’s human nature.

Some groups will find a way. The ‘industry’ of music manufacturing equipment and support requires its ‘shining stars’ to display their wares at the highest imaginable level. The audience consumers of this genre demand the best for their money. They’ll get it.

Have you stopped to think, a small group of, say, 8-10 heavy hitters can satisfy the need?

That number of survivors CAN fill the void, and we’ll all pay to enjoy it.

It might be time for a new Drum Corps International Unlimited Division. Yes, other corps performing at various levels, too.

Although you are right I do not think the product will be anything less than amazing I was actually talking in way of creativity in HOW the activity goes on and what corps will have to do or what the new norm will be . ( providing there is a 2021 season ) my interactions with all parties are hopeful but cautious in thinking.

• Like 1