Bocook, Downey, Prime, Klesch and Thrower!

CADETS.LIVE.ORG

Join Cadets Brass Caption Manager, Dr. Matt Stratton, on June 23rd, 8 pm EST, as he sits down and chats with the Heavy Hitters of DCI brass arranging. #CBrass #CadetsLive

102674081_10158666802071349_663704082726

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is almost too good to be true.

Picture this: Einstein, Aristotle, Shakespeare, Mozart and Da Vinci walk into a bar and ask you to sit at their table.

(Note: Check local times. I think the promo should read 8:00 pm EDT)

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 2

TONIGHT!!!!

105958494_10158691317546349_288202417916

• Like 1

Fantastic discussion by everyone tonight! Hearing about their early years in DB&C and the shows that inspired them was worth it. I could have listened to this for 2 more hours. It was nice to hear some of the corps that we no longer see today that inspired them, like Argonne, Chicago Royal Aires, old Boston Crusaders, even a number of senior corps. Also nice to hear them speak about many of the other arrangers that influenced them.

• Like 1

Kind of interesting, but not surprising, to hear Wayne Downey say he liked the trend away from marching and playing all the time. The new style of DCI is truly a different genre, one that values a lot of things that—ironically—are the opposite of the old Cadets style that they all say inspired them to do what they do. While I am always I awe of a player’s ability to march and play at full power and accuracy, I’d rather hear awesome music than something less, whether it’s while marching or not.

Also thought it was interesting that Wayne said its important to understand your talent and (specifically) experience level before designing a show. Again, it sort of affirms the fairly obvious fact that you won’t win a medal with an inexperienced corps.

Fascinated with the concept of allowing space in a show, both musically and visually. All of them agreed that this is something that you learn the hard way in show design and arranging. This is true in all aspects of design.

I would have liked to hear more details about specific show designs, though. Like the whirlpool concept, or Session 44 set design. 

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Kind of interesting, but not surprising, to hear Wayne Downey say he liked the trend away from marching and playing all the time. The new style of DCI is truly a different genre, one that values a lot of things that—ironically—are the opposite of the old Cadets style that they all say inspired them to do what they do. While I am always I awe of a player’s ability to march and play at full power and accuracy, I’d rather hear awesome music than something less, whether it’s while marching or not.

Also thought it was interesting that Wayne said its important to understand your talent and (specifically) experience level before designing a show. Again, it sort of affirms the fairly obvious fact that you won’t win a medal with an inexperienced corps.

Fascinated with the concept of allowing space in a show, both musically and visually. All of them agreed that this is something that you learn the hard way in show design and arranging. This is true in all aspects of design.

I would have liked to hear more details about specific show designs, though. Like the whirlpool concept, or Session 44 set design. 

Blue Devis are the masters of park & bark.  Many times the section (mellophone, bari, whatever) that is playing the highly technical passage is standing still while the other sections are moving.  They do it so well that many times you don't even pick up on it unless you are looking for it.  And sometimes not even then

39 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Blue Devis are the masters of park & bark.  Many times the section (mellophone, bari, whatever) that is playing the highly technical passage is standing still while the other sections are moving.  They do it so well that many times you don't even pick up on it unless you are looking for it.  And sometimes not even then

Same thing was leveled against the Cavaliers in the early 2000's.

Mike