Bristol July 4th

I just got an email from the Bristol (RI) July 4th Committee. The parade will go on as planned. It will be different. There will be no marching units or anyone walking for that matter. It will be vehicles only with some providing entertainment. People along the route will have to social distance and wear masks. It sounds like an innovative way to keep a tradition alive (Bristol claims to be the first community to celebrate the a Fourth of July and has the oldest parade) and where I believe 13 maybe even 15 of the WC corps have marched in Bristol at least once, I thought it might be of interest to some folks on DCP.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I just got an email from the Bristol (RI) July 4th Committee. The parade will go on as planned. It will be different. There will be no marching units or anyone walking for that matter. It will be vehicles only with some providing entertainment. People along the route will have to social distance and wear masks. It sounds like an innovative way to keep a tradition alive (Bristol claims to be the first community to celebrate the a Fourth of July and has the oldest parade) and where I believe 13 maybe even 15 of the WC corps have marched in Bristol at least once, I thought it might be of interest to some folks on DCP.

I think it's cool trying to keep a tradition going and I applaud them for that. But at the same time the new rules just remind you what World we now live in...at least for now. This pandemic is not slowing down. But hoping a vaccine is on the way in 2021.

• Like 4

Never been to it and this styled parade would never interest me.  Even more traffic than normal and a bunch of vehicles and floats doesn't excite me.   May the weather be nice for those who are interested.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

I think it's cool trying to keep a tradition going and I applaud them for that. But at the same time the new rules just remind you what World we now live in...at least for now. This pandemic is not slowing down. But hoping a vaccine is on the way in 2021.

I probably will not be going to Bristol this year. For one thing, I usually go to see the drum corps and bands, so a car parade is not that enticing. That being said, Rhode Island did hit the ground running regarding COVID-19. The state was pretty strict with protocols and made sure people from states with higher COVID-19 cases, namely New York and New Jersey which put the governor at odds with Andrew Cuomo. The reopening of the state was pretty gradual. I do think social distancing will be possible along the route and my guess it will be closely monitored. 

8 hours ago, Tim K said:

I probably will not be going to Bristol this year. For one thing, I usually go to see the drum corps and bands, so a car parade is not that enticing. That being said, Rhode Island did hit the ground running regarding COVID-19. The state was pretty strict with protocols and made sure people from states with higher COVID-19 cases, namely New York and New Jersey which put the governor at odds with Andrew Cuomo. The reopening of the state was pretty gradual. I do think social distancing will be possible along the route and my guess it will be closely monitored. 

Social distancing is possible BUT will people. All one has to do is look at many examples when leaving it up to people, many do not. I have homes in the North East as well as Florida and the plain out arrogance in Florida and some other states is showing it's evil head right now.

I was actually in A Walmart today and you can't get in without a mask now.Walking around I can't tell you how many with masks tucked under their chin. I didn't want to get murdered but wanted to scream out ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING, Maybe I should have just gone to the manager and told them.

In Florida, Info given now  was told to me a month ago by a friend who is a leading infectious D. Dr. in Fl.he told me a month ago DO NOT listen to what you hear on TV and what he said then is being said just now by politicians. SAD!

Something is wrong with me hearing this a month ago and officials only saying something now.

I applaud the Bristol officials for trying to have some sort of normality and the creativity BUT have less faith in many people not just protecting themselves but having the respect for those around them or those they may come in contact with.

Hope it goes well and is a good example for others. Would be great!

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 7:08 PM, GUARDLING said:

Social distancing is possible BUT will people. All one has to do is look at many examples when leaving it up to people, many do not. I have homes in the North East as well as Florida and the plain out arrogance in Florida and some other states is showing it's evil head right now.

I was actually in A Walmart today and you can't get in without a mask now.Walking around I can't tell you how many with masks tucked under their chin. I didn't want to get murdered but wanted to scream out ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING, Maybe I should have just gone to the manager and told them.

In Florida, Info given now  was told to me a month ago by a friend who is a leading infectious D. Dr. in Fl.he told me a month ago DO NOT listen to what you hear on TV and what he said then is being said just now by politicians. SAD!

Something is wrong with me hearing this a month ago and officials only saying something now.

I applaud the Bristol officials for trying to have some sort of normality and the creativity BUT have less faith in many people not just protecting themselves but having the respect for those around them or those they may come in contact with.

Hope it goes well and is a good example for others. Would be great!

You certainly have placed yourself so far above the rest of us.....

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, bluehull said:

Worked at a military base during 9/11. One morning got stopped for a bomb check with the local Rin Tin Tin and his handler going over the car and guard watching me. When done I told Guard watching me “that was interesting have a good one”. He told me I was the only one stopped in a good mood and only one who thanked him. Forget which one of us said it but line that applies is: “you gotta do what you gotta do” (for the safety of everyone). Sad that’s not seen enough. Hope Bristol has a good parade and people “do what they gotta do” in terms of protecting themselves and others.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

54 minutes ago, bluehull said:

Really? If common sense is absent as it is for many, OH WELL

This week AGAIN I spent 24 hours sitting outside of a Covid unit waiting on reults of a loved one. If safety,consideration, responsibility puts me above as you say the rest of us'Im ok with that.  I guess ignorance can be bliss but for some ignorance is just ignorance.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Worked at a military base during 9/11. One morning got stopped for a bomb check with the local Rin Tin Tin and his handler going over the car and guard watching me. When done I told Guard watching me “that was interesting have a good one”. He told me I was the only one stopped in a good mood and only one who thanked him. Forget which one of us said it but line that applies is: “you gotta do what you gotta do” (for the safety of everyone). Sad that’s not seen enough. Hope Bristol has a good parade and people “do what they gotta do” in terms of protecting themselves and others.

Common sense and responsible

• Thanks 1