Bands of America offering Audio Downloads - 2015 is first

One thing Hebron's show reminds us is how much a good band or corps can do with source music that is neither well known nor highly regarded.

Celine Dion's "Seduces Me" was never released as a single. It got no radio airplay. It was never hit a hit. Of the 14 tracks on Dion's 1996 album Falling Into You, it's one of just four that don't get their own separate entries on Wikipedia. I asked a friend whose favorite singer is Celine Dion. She has that album, but didn't remember this song at all. And yet Hebron and their incredible saxophone soloist made it the standout number of the 2015 season.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, DrumManTx said:

Hebron live is something else, they sound good on video but in person it’s bonkers.  2017 in particular was wild, big first impact I swear I was sitting in front of a drum corps.   Insane mellophone section and woodwinds in particular.   Their technical prowess is pretty untouchable in the HS world, only one that comes close is Vandegrift IMO.  Marcus in their prime as well.  

Yeah Lewisville ISD is a serious band powerhouse. If you’ve ever been to that part of the DFW Metroplex it’s easy to see why. Flower Mound in particular is home to some of the largest and nicest houses I’ve ever seen. North Carrollton is also a very nice area. Those kids work incredibly hard too. I’ve sat in on a couple of Marcus’ rehearsals. I wish my high school’s band was half as efficient as theirs! 

One curious thing about 2015 is that Hebron won Semifinals, but, rather like DCI in 1988, the semifinals scores weren't released until after Finals, where Hebron finished third.

2 hours ago, Continental said:

With regards to BOA, has there been any formal announcement as to their plans for the upcoming fall season?

It's July 1st - school band camps would be just over a month away. 

Copied directly from the official Facebook page :

An update from Music for All on the 2020 Bands of America season: Surveying participating directors and consulting with the BOA Advisory Committee, we continue the planning for our 2020 Bands of America Championships. 

To help with bands’ planning and show preparations, Bands of America’s minimum performance time will be reduced from six (6) to five (5) minutes for 2020. Bands will be permitted a performance time from 5 to 11 minutes for the 2020 Bands of America Championship season. BOA reserves the right to any further considerations if conditions warrant.

We will continue to address appropriate modifications to operations in terms of safety guidelines for participants and spectators.

marching.musicforall.org

On 7/1/2020 at 1:09 PM, crownisking said:

An update from Music for All on the 2020 Bands of America season: Surveying participating directors and consulting with the BOA Advisory Committee, we continue the planning for our 2020 Bands of America Championships. 

To help with bands’ planning and show preparations, Bands of America’s minimum performance time will be reduced from six (6) to five (5) minutes for 2020. Bands will be permitted a performance time from 5 to 11 minutes for the 2020 Bands of America Championship season. BOA reserves the right to any further considerations if conditions warrant.

We will continue to address appropriate modifications to operations in terms of safety guidelines for participants and spectators.

marching.musicforall.org

wow...

On 6/28/2020 at 11:27 PM, Ghost said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNs6MbTxULM   Not paying $6 for a one time listen.

I paid $29.95 for the full Finals set and will definitely listen more than once. 

On 7/1/2020 at 12:25 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

One curious thing about 2015 is that Hebron won Semifinals, but, rather like DCI in 1988, the semifinals scores weren't released until after Finals, where Hebron finished third.

That's how BOA works. They don't announce scores at Grand Nationals except for Finals. 

On 7/1/2020 at 1:09 PM, crownisking said:

marching.musicforall.org

Thank you for the update. 

Their statement is interesting in that aside from the show performance time change, it seems like they intend the season to progress.

That being said, how many units are going to take the risk of camp/rehearsal time in this new world at this point?  Then when they get to that point, there are the logistics of travel and housing to deal with.   

To quote a movie "If you build it he will come" may be "If you build it they probably won't come."

Then again, maybe BOA's strategy will help DCI in 2021.

Edited by Continental

4 hours ago, kevingamin said:

That's how BOA works. They don't announce scores at Grand Nationals except for Finals. 

They do announce the top three placements and the caption winners by class after Seminfinals, though, which often gives the audience a sense of approximately where things stand.