Why do Covid-related threads get locked?

Seems like this is the only topic folks want and need to discuss right now. Some of us have seriously informative insights and knowledge of the science around this topic. 

Yeah got way laid by some back and forth arguing and “it’s political.. no it’s not”. Sad as seeing some really bad info on other SM sites. Had a point to bring up about increased ICU usage but thread got clipped first.

5 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

Seems like this is the only topic folks want and need to discuss right now. Some of us have seriously informative insights and knowledge of the science around this topic. 

The last thread relating to Covid was supposed to be an encouragement thread and people totally abused it by posting things that were not encouraging, not to mention continually political cheap shots disguised as Covid concerns.  It was enough to make some people stop posting here, possibly including the original poster of the thread, who I believe was quarantined at the time he started it.  It ran for far longer than it was topical.  Its abusers could have started their own threads that were not claimed to be about encouragement, but they chose to hijack that one instead.

Edited by skevinp
Typo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, skevinp said:

The last thread relating to thread was supposed to be an encouragement thread and people totally abused it by posting things that were not encouraging, not to mention continually political cheap shots disguised as Covid concerns.  It was enough to make some people stop posting here, possibly including the original poster of the thread, who I believe was quarantined at the time he started it.  It ran for far longer than it was topical.  Its abusers could have started their own threads that were not claimed to be about encouragement, but they chose to hijack that one instead.

Maybe the solution is to have a Covid thread.

41 minutes ago, skevinp said:

The last thread relating to thread was supposed to be an encouragement thread and people totally abused it by posting things that were not encouraging, not to mention continually political cheap shots disguised as Covid concerns.  It was enough to make some people stop posting here, possibly including the original poster of the thread, who I believe was quarantined at the time he started it.  It ran for far longer than it was topical.  Its abusers could have started their own threads that were not claimed to be about encouragement, but they chose to hijack that one instead.

The original poster was quarantined?

Maybe I missed something, but he had a son that came back from a hockey trip to Europe at the start of this.  His son was in a cabin for a few weeks after returning.  His son was in quarantine along with his son's friend. 

He also has family members in the medical field and was extremely concerned about the non-Covid-19 medical treatments being temporarily stopped as Covid-19 took priority.

Maybe I dreamed this all up. But I do read what people have to say on here so perhaps I'm not wrong. 

Yes, his intent for the thread was abused.  But lets be clear on details. 

I feel like we are playing that school game where a story that starts at the beginning of the class drastically changes as it gets to the last student. 

Edited by Continental

12 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

I think about the times in our country’s history when the citizenry was called upon to makes sacrifices and now shake my head when people freak out over wearing a mask at the grocery store. 

Yes I do shake my head as to why some people are against this. I don't like wearing a mask but this is how we cure this. It's frustrating.

• Like 4