Would it make sense for DCI to implement temporary rules limiting certain things that add to a corps ability to tour

I wonder if it would make sense for temporary rules limiting some of the items that add great cost to tour budgets to help corps field shows next season. With the ongoing issues many items that have been incorporated into shows  have increased tour cost greatly. Many things you need to keep in mind are the costs behind the scenes to transport, build , and purchase these items. Trust me I LOVE drum corps today, but for the good of the activity should it be considered for things like props, electronics (except for miking keyboards) and uniform changes ect..... Would it make sense to preserve DCI tours by making it easier to go on tour, the trucks, the volunteers, and additional staffing that need to be fed paid and transported, the initial costs are a huge burden to bear as well.

Just a thought, we cant lose these amazing performers or it will take years to rebuild, if at all, I can tell you my summer stinks, and no Indie!, crap

6 hours ago, Cooch said:

I wonder if it would make sense for temporary rules limiting some of the items that add great cost to tour budgets to help corps field shows next season. With the ongoing issues many items that have been incorporated into shows  have increased tour cost greatly. Many things you need to keep in mind are the costs behind the scenes to transport, build , and purchase these items. Trust me I LOVE drum corps today, but for the good of the activity should it be considered for things like props, electronics (except for miking keyboards) and uniform changes ect..... Would it make sense to preserve DCI tours by making it easier to go on tour, the trucks, the volunteers, and additional staffing that need to be fed paid and transported, the initial costs are a huge burden to bear as well.

Just a thought, we cant lose these amazing performers or it will take years to rebuild, if at all, I can tell you my summer stinks, and no Indie!, crap

I'm bored so I'll answer with a simple "yes".  Here are my suggestions; others feel free to expand on these:   :spitting:

1) Reduce corp size to a "Pep Band" status only requiring one bus to eliminate extra buses & extra staff thus reducing cost.  

2)  Eliminate all equipment trucks.  All instruments will be stored & transported in the bus bay.  

3)  The single bus will pull a small trailer for food prep & storage.  (see #4)   

4)  All meals reduced to Oats, PB&J, Ramen Noodles, & Pop Corn.  McDonald's Dollar Menu may also be utilized periodically for incentives/rewards.   
     (For a small surcharge, fruit cups maybe added but will require cold storage in trailer.)

5)  Eliminate using all schools for overnight stays.  All sleep will be employed on the bus between events.

6)  Add frequent WalMart visits for restroom, AC breaks, snacks, & toiletries.    

7)  Reduce all performances to a "standstill" style performance on the track thus eliminating extra staff for design, teaching, cleaning, etc & rehearsal venues.      

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Cooch said:

I wonder if it would make sense for temporary rules limiting some of the items that add great cost to tour budgets to help corps field shows next season.

I think it would make sense. It will happen if a majority of corps says, "We can't afford to do all that this year!" But surely the first way they'll cut back is to limit the distance they need to travel, no?

In my view, there will be 5-8 remaining World Class corps who can manage a next season just as they had been doing in 2019. But, even if the number of capable survivors is less, my opinion would be the same.

It is not plausible to expect the highest tier groups to willingly downsize their abilities and quality of presentations because other corps are having (what we hope) to be temporary setbacks. If DCI is to remain marching music’s ‘Gold Standard,’ it must allow that level to exist and rise unfettered. Certainly not forcibly restrained. 

Any 2021structure must allow the ‘best and brightest’ to do what they always do. That is, raise the bar.

Perhaps, modify the size and scope of a defined limited division that will be more accommodating to corps who will be greater damaged by today’s challenges.  

Focus more on preserving groups with the highest need to be saved. This tier might find greater comfort in a membership limit of 100, for example. Across the board restrictions on staging props, electronics, staffing, etc.  More assistance with regional, 1-2 day, performance opportunities. Separate Regional Championships for this tier only. Each Regional Champion is invited, but not required, to perform during DCI Week in Indianapolis.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

I see at least two major challenges to this proposal that do not involve COVID-19 and whether there is a vaccine or treatment, at least directly. One, we do not know what the economic situation will be this time next year. Economists predict that it could be anywhere from six months to four years for the economy to bounce back. A second problem is that instead of viewing drum corps as one activity with many parts, it’s more like many parts forming one activity. Working together is a problem. Yes they can come together when it comes to rules for the activity, but suggestions have been made in the past that corps come together for buying power which could save significant funds and no one wants any part of it. 

On a serious note, I could see a different tour model that would involve more regional shows & possibly eliminating some of the smaller events. As the school housing issue continues to be a problem, that model might include more hotel stays at the regional shows or allow the corps to house at their home facility for shorter travel distances.  If some of the smaller show venues were cut, that tour model time frame maybe reduced leading up to the championships.  The reduced tour savings could be transferred to pay for more large group hotel housing?  (hotel discounted group rates?)  But then you have to subtract the lost show payments from the smaller events.  

Of course, there's always the "hostel" model for tour accommodations.  I hear some hostels even offer cheap food.  And drugs; there could be drugs... :spitting:   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Cooch said:

I wonder if it would make sense for temporary rules limiting some of the items that add great cost to tour budgets to help corps field shows next season.

I think permanent limits are what would make sense.

Short of that, no, in most cases it would not make sense to limit "items" only next season.  Corps who already own electronics would not see savings from limiting their use.  Corps who use show-specific costumes each year still need a new set for next season, or they will have nothing to wear.  The one area where cutbacks might pay off would be regarding props/tarps... but good luck getting a majority of DCI rulemakers to agree to self-imposed limitations.

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

It is not plausible to expect the highest tier groups to willingly downsize their abilities and quality of presentations because other corps are having (what we hope) to be temporary setbacks.

Do we know that setbacks are limited to the "other corps"?  So far, it seems like the corps with the biggest budget gaps and the loudest cries for help are the "highest tier" corps.