Would it make sense for DCI to implement temporary rules limiting certain things that add to a corps ability to tour

I will go on the record to say that touring will never, ever go back to the way it was pre-COVID; it just won't! The best any organization could hope for in 2021 is traveling to communities that are 300 miles away or less, out and back trips; and that hinges on if there is a performance schedule and available venues to rehearse and/or perform. Larger venues like Atlanta Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium or a Detroit Ford Field availability is doubtful or affordable based on socioeconomic factors. These factors relate to and influence one another.  All of these venues have to rethink how they can safely operate for high school, college or professional events let alone allow other events such as drum corps to take place in their facilities. School districts are considering changes to public health measures within multi-use facilities to reduce infectious disease transmission to accommodate their own extracurricular activities. Transportation of large groups is another big liability; is COVID spreading where your organization is going? 

• Like 3

I have to agree we won't be seeing the old touring model for a good while, if ever. It's barely sustainable for most corps, even under ideal conditions.

Of course, it is possible that friendly aliens will arrive on the planet and cure all our viruses,... or bring us new ones. Time will tell.

23 hours ago, Cooch said:

I wonder if it would make sense for temporary rules limiting some of the items that add great cost to tour budgets to help corps field shows next season. With the ongoing issues many items that have been incorporated into shows  have increased tour cost greatly. Many things you need to keep in mind are the costs behind the scenes to transport, build , and purchase these items. Trust me I LOVE drum corps today, but for the good of the activity should it be considered for things like props, electronics (except for miking keyboards) and uniform changes ect..... Would it make sense to preserve DCI tours by making it easier to go on tour, the trucks, the volunteers, and additional staffing that need to be fed paid and transported, the initial costs are a huge burden to bear as well.

Just a thought, we cant lose these amazing performers or it will take years to rebuild, if at all, I can tell you my summer stinks, and no Indie!, crap

No.  Temporary rules rarely remain that way.  The last thing anyone needs are more rules and regulations.  It is the responsibility of each corps to make these types of decisions.  

5 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

In my view, there will be 5-8 remaining World Class corps who can manage a next season just as they had been doing in 2019. But, even if the number of capable survivors is less, my opinion would be the same.

It is not plausible to expect the highest tier groups to willingly downsize their abilities and quality of presentations because other corps are having (what we hope) to be temporary setbacks. If DCI is to remain marching music’s ‘Gold Standard,’ it must allow that level to exist and rise unfettered. Certainly not forcibly restrained. 

Any 2021structure must allow the ‘best and brightest’ to do what they always do. That is, raise the bar.

I'm not sure I agree with your "will" and "must" statements here.

Mike

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I'm not sure I agree with your "will" and "must" statements here.

Mike

Some WILL go out of their way and in some cases we MUST do so. likewise - This WILL cause trouble and MUST be prevented. :offtopic::lol::sarcasm:

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

I have to agree we won't be seeing the old touring model for a good while, if ever. It's barely sustainable for most corps, even under ideal conditions.

Of course, it is possible that friendly aliens will arrive on the planet and cure all our viruses,... or bring us new ones. Time will tell.

If we do not see a return of the former touring model, or at least a modified version, it will require a whole rethinking of drum corps. I don’t see how we can go back to regional tours. There are simply not enough corps and in the Northeast and Upper Midwest, the audiences are aging and attendance at shows has been decreasing. The hotspots are the Southern states and few corps hail from these states, though interestingly membership does. If we don’t have as many travel and competitive opportunities, will we have kids who want to march?

I do realize that during this extended off season, corps are just trying to survive and who will and will not be able to weather the storm is questionable. It may be a difficult proposition for those involved in corps leadership to develop a new touring model, but it could also be the time to bring new folks to the table who love and understand drum corps who also have skills and vision. There are fans and alums of drum corps in transportation, education, the medical fields, youth activities, finance, law, and I’m sure any other area that needs to be involved in the discussions. There are folks who know what was done fifty years ago and why that can give a historical perspective and those who know young people today who can move things forward. All sorts of people are needed.

Though the situation is serious, things are not all dire, and drum corps has faced challenges. In the 80’s when corps disappeared, including some of the best and most iconic, many predicted there would be no activity in the 90’s. This may seem like old news, but look back at DCP threads from 2010 or so, a time I did not do any commenting on but read faithfully, and a frequent topic was poor attendance at shows and what it means for the the future. In the past few years attendance has been steadily increasing. 

Edited by Tim K

My view is DCP maybe should just go on hiatus until there is a season which maybe there will never be. Because of the rise of cases around the country and it's only SUMMER this thing will get worse in the fall and winter. 2021 is probably not going to happen. If drum corp can survive this right now I'm doubtful. 

1 hour ago, ironlips said:

Or we will kill the aliens off with our viruses... ok have seen 1950s War of the Worlds too many times (thank you George Pal)

Perhaps some World Class corps who find them selves financially on the edge might opt to do the first season back in Open Class…?  This would automatically solve the 66 day tour expense and decrease the amount of tour housing needed right off the bat.  We wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel. WC corps opt for a season (or 2) to compete in Open and return to World when ready.  The added benefit would be to also prop up attendance at the smaller local shows, which is a win-win. 

There is precedent for this....Magic, Spirit, Blue Stars...maybe others?

Let the dozen or so financially secure groups continue with the touring as it has been.  Open Class is there for anyone who might think their survival depends on it.

Just an idea. 

29 minutes ago, craiga said:

Perhaps some World Class corps who find them selves financially on the edge might opt to do the first season back in Open Class…?  This would automatically solve the 66 day tour expense and decrease the amount of tour housing needed right off the bat.  We wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel. WC corps opt for a season (or 2) to compete in Open and return to World when ready.  The added benefit would be to also prop up attendance at the smaller local shows, which is a win-win. 

There is precedent for this....Magic, Spirit, Blue Stars...maybe others?

Let the dozen or so financially secure groups continue with the touring as it has been.  Open Class is there for anyone who might think their survival depends on it.

Just an idea. 

What is DCI pay for Open Class?