Would it make sense for DCI to implement temporary rules limiting certain things that add to a corps ability to tour

57 minutes ago, craiga said:

Perhaps some World Class corps who find them selves financially on the edge might opt to do the first season back in Open Class…?  This would automatically solve the 66 day tour expense and decrease the amount of tour housing needed right off the bat.  We wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel. WC corps opt for a season (or 2) to compete in Open and return to World when ready.  The added benefit would be to also prop up attendance at the smaller local shows, which is a win-win. 

There is precedent for this....Magic, Spirit, Blue Stars...maybe others?

Let the dozen or so financially secure groups continue with the touring as it has been.  Open Class is there for anyone who might think their survival depends on it.

Just an idea. 

Craig - your suggestion is pretty much the same solution I see. Again, I believe there are current organizations who are in position to make necessary changes to their operating budget. Adjustments that would not necessarily be obvious in the level of production displayed to the audience.

I don’t see the need to hold back the creative efforts of any group to make the entire genre ‘Drum Corps Lite.’

Because other groups might not be able to field at the same level it would be best to focus on making the Open Class tier even more practical and sustainable. Making Open Class a more attractive option could pay-off for everyone years later.

I am not pessimistic as to the continuation of the activity. Obviously, the format will change in certain ways, but do believe a rebound is coming. All anyone can do now is speculate. That’s mine.

Edited by Fred Windish

3 hours ago, ironlips said:

I have to agree we won't be seeing the old touring model for a good while, if ever. It's barely sustainable for most corps, even under ideal conditions.

Of course, it is possible that friendly aliens will arrive on the planet and cure all our viruses,... or bring us new ones. Time will tell.

At this point as we're standing at the front door of July 2020, I would welcome aliens & would entertain all offers for a ride to their planet.  I just hope they have plenty of O2 & beer.  (No H2O necessary.  Beer has water as it's base; actually 90-95%.)  :whistle: :guinesssmilie:

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

1 minute ago, keystone3ply said:

At this point as we're standing at the front door of July 2020, I would welcome aliens & would entertain all offers for a ride to their planet.  I just hope they have plenty of O2 & beer.  :whistle: :guinesssmilie:

Great now having college MB flashback. Did lesser known song “Calling All Interplanetary Craft” followed by big closer of..... it was 1977 do I have to say it.... ugh Star Wars....🤮

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Great now having college MB flashback. Did lesser known song “Calling All Interplanetary Craft” followed by big closer of..... it was 1977 do I have to say it.... ugh Star Wars....🤮

1977 Drugs = bad; Beer = good.

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Let the dozen or so financially secure groups continue with the touring as it has been. 

Thing is,without seeing their financial records,I don't know any way to know if a corps is "financially secure" or not.

You really can't tell from the 501C3 tax forms.

YEA is a pretty good example of how "deceiving" they can be,when it comes to an organization's

financial health.

I would have thought  BD,SCV and the Troopers would,thanks to BINGO,been able to weather a financial

storm.

But,with that income stream gone,I don't know.

Maybe its just Public Relations,but there seems to be a somewhat "desperate" tone in several of the fundraising requests I've seen.

I don't think we'll know "financially secure " any corps,or for that matter DCI is,until we get closer to 2021.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, keystone3ply said:

1977 Drugs = bad; Beer = good.

Beer is not the answer. 
Beer is the question.

Yes is the answer! 🍺 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Beer is not the answer. 
Beer is the question.

The answer is yes! 🍺 

Beer, the cause and solution to all of our problems... Homer (Simpson).

Mmmmm’kay?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, craiga said:

Perhaps some World Class corps who find them selves financially on the edge might opt to do the first season back in Open Class…? 

I doubt that, now that it would require five years minimum for a corps to work their way back into WC membership.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I doubt that, now that it would require five years minimum for a corps to work their way back into WC membership.

Absolutely! It would be a death sentence to go from World to Open. Better off being the Pi-on-ear of the activity for a while than go to Open. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well at least you didn't close with Muskrat Love. 

• Haha 2