Would it make sense for DCI to implement temporary rules limiting certain things that add to a corps ability to tour

4 hours ago, PioneerWebmaster said:

$2,600 multiplied by a full slate of 25-30 World Class shows helps put a dent in the operating budget, but definitely isn't intended to be the only source of revenue for a corps.

Every little bit helps.... if you get a little bit...

Bet WC would raise a helluva stink of anyone tried to cut back or remove that $2600....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PioneerWebmaster said:

Open Class corps do get paid for appearances at World Class shows, but it's significantly less than what the WC corps receive.  The standard rate for a WC corps is $2,600 per event.  Open Class finalists get $1,800 per event, while non-finalists get $700 per event.  One exception - new or re-emerging corps in Open Class receive $0 per event in their first year.

Correction - $1,800 is the appearance fee for a WC non-member corps.  Open-class finalists only get $1,100, and that is only when they get contracted into a WC show.  Open-class shows have no appearance fees.  (Source: DCI Policies and Procedures Manual, Appendix 211.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, craiga said:

Let the dozen or so financially secure groups continue with the touring as it has been.  Open Class is there for anyone who might think their survival depends on it.

So... eliminate all but a dozen member corps with attendant votes?  That's the other half of this.  Without bylaws revision, I can't imagine any WC corps agreeing to it.

Mike

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Correction - $1,800 is the appearance fee for a WC non-member corps.  Open-class finalists only get $1,100, and that is only when they get contracted into a WC show.  Open-class shows have no appearance fees.  (Source: DCI Policies and Procedures Manual, Appendix 211.)

Not entirely.  OC-only show revenue goes into a pool and is redistributed after the season.  I can tell you firsthand, it's not a lot - not enough to really be a significant line item - but then again, OC shows generally aren't well attended.  (Though anecdotally it felt like the Midwest shows in the final weeks of tour had been starting to pick up a bit the last few years.)

Mike

4 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Not entirely.  OC-only show revenue goes into a pool and is redistributed after the season.  I can tell you firsthand, it's not a lot - not enough to really be a significant line item - but then again, OC shows generally aren't well attended.  (Though anecdotally it felt like the Midwest shows in the final weeks of tour had been starting to pick up a bit the last few years.)

I was only addressing appearance fees.  Revenue sharing is determined post-season, from whatever (if any) money is left over after covering expenses.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

Yep !

I've said it a very long time. It's a shame OC performs sometimes to very little in the stands ( nothing new ). There is one way to fix that, Arrive early for smaller corps, go to OC shows, support OC $$$, get out of the lot and tailgating . $$$$$$ will, and support, with make a difference. "A" class  just with fees paid to WGI showed them not to bite the hand that feeds  them.

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

Yep !

I've said it a very long time. It's a shame OC performs sometimes to very little in the stands ( nothing new ). There is one way to fix that, Arrive early for smaller corps, go to OC shows, support OC $$$, get out of the lot and tailgating . $$$$$$ will, and support, with make a difference. "A" class  just with fees paid to WGI showed them not to bite the hand that feeds  them.

look at the OC tour....not exactly going where people live

50 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yet if it were WC, people travel to get to shows no matter where. That's been the problem, finding blame when it's pretty basic.

Even on tour at WC shows, when smaller corps are on, where is everyone, THE LOT

This has been a forever problem in the activity BUT then people speak up about the un-fairness of OC yet where are they to change anything...

We can always find a reason why...... or find a way to change it. Corps and people can do that but it needs more than talk.

Support Team - Bruce Street School

It's the only way things change $$$$$$ and support can change everything

Edited by GUARDLING

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

One thing I have noticed over the years at the early season shows in Boston and Lynn, and at one time Bristol, was the good number of friends and family members who attended to see 7th Regiment and Spartans. At the OC show in July, it’s nearly all family members and friends. I wish there were better connections with high school programs, but July is peak vacation time so I do understand the challenges, but I know some years there is a New York show that is barely attended. 

9 minutes ago, Tim K said:

One thing I have noticed over the years at the early season shows in Boston and Lynn, and at one time Bristol, was the good number of friends and family members who attended to see 7th Regiment and Spartans. At the OC show in July, it’s nearly all family members and friends. I wish there were better connections with high school programs, but July is peak vacation time so I do understand the challenges, but I know some years there is a New York show that is barely attended. 

There is a huge connection to HS programs BUT even when you walk into many band rooms there are videos, posters, DVD's CD's...all of WC corps.

Even the smallest of bands, instead of showing something at their level it's always the big guys. I get why people do this but maybe show something that may be closer to their own experience and then the possibility of where they can be

DCI can help with this promotion BUT it will never happen until they can see that the revenue and support is worth it, and just saying it won't cut it. Less talk more action IMO

Edited by GUARDLING