Would it make sense for DCI to implement temporary rules limiting certain things that add to a corps ability to tour

6 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Yet if it were WC, people travel to get to shows no matter where. That's been the problem, finding blame when it's pretty basic.

Even on tour at WC shows, when smaller corps are on, where is everyone, THE LOT

This has been a forever problem in the activity BUT then people speak up about the un-fairness of OC yet where are they to change anything...

We can always find a reason why...... or find a way to change it. Corps and people can do that but it needs more than talk.

Support Team - Bruce Street School

It's the only way things change $$$$$$ and support can change everything

oh i get it. but look at the show run in NWPA every summer...more ####### deer and elk live within a 2 hour drive than people do

5 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

There is a huge connection to HS programs BUT even when you walk into many band rooms there are videos, posters, DVD's CD's...all of WC corps.

Even the smallest of bands, instead of showing something at their level it's always the big guys. I get why people do this but maybe show something that may be closer to their own experience and then the possibility of where they can be

DCI can help with this promotion BUT it will never happen until they can see that the revenue and support is worth it, and just saying it won't cut it. Less talk more action IMO

as long as WC calls all the shots forget it

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

oh i get it. but look at the show run in NWPA every summer...more ####### deer and elk live within a 2 hour drive than people do

Lots of places like that even on the WC tour, sometimes I think I'm in that corn field from the twilight Zone...lol..remember that? being sent to the corn field?

2 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

as long as WC calls all the shots forget it

They will call the shots until OC show their own worth/ Decades ago A class in WGI was like that. It's still not 100% and thats ok for many reasons BUT they certainly have a seat at the table and WGI knows the worth of that class, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

14 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

They will call the shots until OC show their own worth/ Decades ago A class in WGI was like that. It's still not 100% and thats ok for many reasons BUT they certainly have a seat at the table and WGI knows the worth of that class, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OC had their shot many years ago and just agreed to be the subservient class they are.

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

OC had their shot many years ago and just agreed to be the subservient class they are.

Another part of the problem  for sure but when little is brought to the table and the support in way of actual people in seats and $$$$$$ well the argument gets thin.

Should I laugh at this, or cry?

All this bickering, all this segregation of WC/OC, all this hoarding of revenue for top corps only, etc etc, has been going on for as long as DCI has existed.  They created this system of haves and have-nots 50 years ago.  As recently as this January, they doubled down on it with even more restrictive rules and policies to keep the have-nots out.  But something has changed.  Today, some of the haves are facing the prospect of becoming have-nots due to forces beyond their control.  

Is this DCI-engineered mitosis of the activity really the most important thing to defend right now?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Is this DCI-engineered mitosis of the activity really the most important thing to defend right now?

DCI historically is far more detrimental than beneficial to the activity as a whole. Countless organizations are gone. Regional circuits are gone. Most if not all independent show sponsors are gone. DCI is nothing more than a show scheduler and promoter. They’re not the best game in town, they’re the only game in town. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

DCI historically is far more detrimental than beneficial to the activity as a whole. Countless organizations are gone. Regional circuits are gone. Most if not all independent show sponsors are gone. DCI is nothing more than a show scheduler and promoter. They’re not the best game in town, they’re the only game in town. 

You are correct about this.

The rest does not or did it fall by the wayside because of DCI but for changing times in the 70s. It left behind Dino thinking that did not fit nor accommodate  the members nor the changing times. There were so many good directors with very big hearts but not very good  at management. There was a judging system where some called it exciting but in actuality had no accountability by judges and as much of an opinion as many think today is.

You are right though DCI ( office ) is a promotor , a scheduler etc etc. DCI ( which many forget ) is the corps deciding how the activity will be,.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Should I laugh at this, or cry?

All this bickering, all this segregation of WC/OC, all this hoarding of revenue for top corps only, etc etc, has been going on for as long as DCI has existed.  They created this system of haves and have-nots 50 years ago.  As recently as this January, they doubled down on it with even more restrictive rules and policies to keep the have-nots out.  But something has changed.  Today, some of the haves are facing the prospect of becoming have-nots due to forces beyond their control.  

My kid marched in a Division 2 corps for five seasons.  The red-headed ######## stepchildren of the drum corps world was driven home to me in 2000.  We drove to Westminster, Maryland for the first day of div 2/3 prelims.  The grass was practically knee high on the football field.  My friend, Big Al, longtime volunteer for DCI, hopped on a riding mower and mowed down that cow pasture as well as he could. 

That was my reality check and why I began saying that we were the red-headed ######## stepchildren of DCI. 

• Like 1