The 1985 Thread

I might be in the minority but I thought BD should have topped SCV for 2nd with Madison a little closer to the top 3. Something like:

98.1 Cadets

97.3 BD

97.1 SCV

96.2 Madison 

No biggie though. I just loved 85 BD and the rest of the top 4. 

Edited by Yorkvillain
  • Like 1

Alrighty--so NEXT 1985 story of misbehaving.... this one goes to the 1985 Blue Devils drumline. Now this group of gentlemen were very very competitive back in the day. They thought they were the best at all times...and tended to "poke fun" lets just say of the Garfield drumline in 1985 a bit. They really took winning VERY seriously. So in the 1985 video for score announcing at finals...you can see the BD drumline all holding hands anxiously awaiting the announcement of scores...and when they get announced in third place as a corps, you can see some of them kind of collapse and others get angry. But there are things you do not see a litle bit later. A couple of them took out pocket knives and cut into and destroyed Camp Randall stadium field turf.

What was interesting was Garfield had future superstar drumline G-d Glen Crosby as a key Quad/drumline instructor in 1985...straight off of his tour of duty as a member of the Blue Devils Drumline.... I always wonder what BD drumline guys thought about that. I ate lunch in the Denver airport with one of the BD quad members ( tenors these days) on the trip home after finals ( I was the only Garfield member flying West from Madison back then). It was an interesting conversation but he didn't bring this particular issue up. Glen Crosby--now that is a whole lotta talent right there.

4 hours ago, rysa4 said:

True!  And 9th in field drums that year. ( 4th in ensemble).  !!!

*sigh*   If only they'd tied Freelancers  on the field and Regiment in the box.

Or if they'd only won GE with a 39.7 rather than a 39.9.

....ah well.

23 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

A stellar drum line can only take the corps so far if the rest of the program is waning.  It was the drum scores that got Bridgemen and 27th into finals their last couple of years.

and still couldnt help Oakland Crusaders get in in 77

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

and still couldnt help Oakland Crusaders get in in 77

Well, when you have a marching caption placing in the 20s and everything else is below 12th, that's an impossible hill to climb.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2020 at 7:45 AM, mfrontz said:

You don't happen to have the tape from the recording device you wore, do you? 🙂

I do; it’s in a safety deposit box. I used a Walkman with a stereo mic and high end Metal cassette tape; I’ve listened to it twice.