The 1985 Thread

7 hours ago, mfrontz said:

Hey! That me at the end of the opener! Fun season!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, CHRISP said:

We, 27th Lancers, played Danny Boy in 1985.

thanks i thought they didnt do it in 85.

On 7/2/2020 at 5:15 AM, Continental said:

Vanguard '85.

It didn't win.  It didn't have to.  The show was monumental and so Vanguard.

To this day one of the most beautiful ballads on the field - Grover's Corners. 

There are no pyjamas, there are no props.  It's just Vanguard. 

I marched that show...I was the Last Man headed for the tunnel (you can even see the recording device I wore for a split second) and in the field closeup of the two baritone players during the push in Tenderland; I’m the skinny lead bari in glasses on the left and Vince Noble (RIP) who taught Cavies & SOA for many years is the euph on the right. Both of us aged out that night. 

Angelica was in the judges box on Finals night as a “guest” but not on the slate, and was “quite vocal” during our run per a stunned SCV staffperson in the back who witnessed it. Brandt announced the High CG Award winner wrong, which added insult to injury. GH had already let his kids know “great job but roses go to SCV”; I was on the very left edge of the retreat block when we turned to it play to GC a few feet away and many of them couldn’t look at us. 

Gail took the loss very hard, so much so he had infamous “red circle slash 85” T-shirts printed up the next summer. 

Fast forward to Denver Finals 2004...I was walking to the souvie area while wearing my jacket when a guy wearing a Boston jacket stopped me when he saw the Madison Finals patch on my sleeve. He first asked to shake my hand, then he unexpectedly hugged me. He said “those four words” in his Bahston accent, smiled and walked away. That was huge. 

Edited by TRacer
Typos.

16 minutes ago, TRacer said:

Angelica was in the judges box on Finals night as a “guest” but not on the slate, and was “quite vocal” during our run per a stunned SCV staffperson in the back who witnessed it. Brandt announced the High CG Award winner wrong, which added insult to injury. GH had already let his kids know “great job but roses go to SCV”; I was on the very left edge of the retreat block when we turned to it play to GC a few feet away and a lot of them couldn’t look at us. GC got their 3-peat.  Gail took the loss very hard, so much so he had infamous “red circle slash 85” shirts printed up the next summer.  

Then there was 87.

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Then there was 87.

Yes...a lot of my 85 hornline colleagues aged out in 87 but surprisingly many want 85 back. I marched with one sop player 5 straight years over two corps; he and I are still fast friends and in his words “85 hurt way worse” because that was the last year of the “giga hornline vets” from the late 70’s. 

Edited by TRacer

I'm not sure how to explain it, but to my ears there's a lushness to the sound of corps of this era that I love. I would much rather listen to Freelancers' 12th place show, for example, than to a number of much higher ranking shows of more recent vintage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I'm not sure how to explain it, but to my ears there's a lushness to the sound of corps of this era that I love. I would much rather listen to Freelancers' 12th place show, for example, than to a number of much higher ranking shows of more recent vintage.

One of my favorite things about '85 Freelancers was the way they could alter the color on the front of their uniforms using multiple folding flaps.   I thought it was really effective.  

They also had a member of the pit that looked a lot like Princess Diana. 

Edited by Continental
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TRacer said:

Angelica was in the judges box on Finals night as a “guest” but not on the slate, and was “quite vocal” during our run per a stunned SCV staffperson in the back who witnessed it. Brandt announced the High CG Award winner wrong, which added insult to injury.

Wasn't Don Angelica also with Rondinaro in the broadcast booth?  I can't find a video of his comments after SCV performed,  but one of them was along the lines of "not all the "i"s were dotted" in their performance.  I wish I could find the clip.  

Who did Brandt announce High CG for initially?

On 7/3/2020 at 1:13 AM, Jeff Ream said:

thanks i thought they didnt do it in 85.

No worries.  84 and 86 was no Danny Boy.