The 1985 Thread

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

What caused the Bridgemen to decline so precipitously? From 3rd place in 1980 (and less than a point from the champions) to 14th place in 1984 to 26th place in 1985?

Hoffman left. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the psychology of the tick still exists now in some sheets and never went away. its why corps rarely have a higher bottom box number than the top box unless it's to get a judge of a numbers management crunch

And again...yes and no. For the same reason we have slotting now in a way that didn't exist in 1985. So in the 80s, you could see a 1st place corps with a 9th place drum line ( and we did). Today? Can't happen. Even if the corps were identical today as they were in the 80s. The difference, in my opinion, are the advent of ongoing " meetings" with judging panels on the "correct" way to judge. I call this one " The Michael Cessario Effect" - sorry Michael I love you buddy. I just like the phrase. What some may call " uniformity and consistency" really is just brainwashing by people who control paychecks and housing/travel expenses. We see this as self evident when we see four general effect judges carrying far more weight than hard talent more objective categories.  Judges should have been left to just judge the way they saw fit based on their expertise of why they got selected in the first place and left alone. A well experienced brass /horn DCI expert in no way needs to be "educated" on how to judge brass. An opinion. But a bit stronger on my part.

Edited by rysa4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

87 was better than 85. not saying much but still.

How so?  I thought that 1987 was basically a stillborn sad state of affairs. The corps spent half the season scoring in the 30s ( with a three) and 40s sometimes. They didn't make it to the semi finals in 1987, never broke a score of 60 all season, and finshed behind the Sancians. Did they have an instructional staff in 1987? I am not sure. For me, 1985 was really their last year as a drum corps. BUT...there is a record of a corps called the Bridgemen that performed in 1987. So there is that. Technically they existed. I admit.

On 7/6/2020 at 9:35 PM, oldsoprano said:

Not 100 percent sure, but I believe SCV was initially announced as winning high guard, and the actual winner was Spirit of Atlanta. Back then, the recap sheets were on two pages, six corps on page 1 and six on page 2. Whoever was feeding Brandt the information on caption awards only looked at page 1. Spirit, finishing in 8th place overall, was on page 2 of the recap. Spirit's guard staff noticed the error when they checked the recap sheets and alerted DCI officials on the field and a correction was made.

Yes, SCV's guard was announced as the winner.  Spirit of Atlanta was not 8th, but 7th (still on the second sheet).  Spirit's guard had the highest guard scores at every regional that summer, except DCI East, where it went to SCV.  The drum major of SCV Jeff Pearson and I talked a few years ago about the incident... he had to give the award BACK so that it could be handed to us.  Since then, I've cringed every time DCI announced a caption or a placement incorrectly.

Edited by 27/soa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Continental said:

1985 was weird for guard.

Out of the top 12, I think only 3 corps used rifles at some point in their show (I'm not counting Velvet Knights with the plastic semi-automatics in their Peter Gunn opener - they pointed them, but did not actually spin them).

Cavaliers, Madison and Troopers used rifles.

I may be wrong, please correct me if I am. 

Spirit of Atlanta used rifles... only the guys, though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rysa4 said:

A bit more complicated than that. C'mon now. I am sure you know what I know.

I refuse to get into unsubstantiated rumor mongering. if i wanted to do that i'd run for office

And again...yes and no. For the same reason we have slotting now in a way that didn't exist in 1985. So in the 80s, you could see a 1st place corps with a 9th place drum line ( and we did). Today? Can't happen. Even if the corps were identical today as they were in the 80s. The difference, in my opinion, are the advent of ongoing " meetings" with judging panels on the "correct" way to judge. I call this one " The Michael Cessario Effect" - sorry Michael I love you buddy. I just like the phrase. What some may call " uniformity and consistency" really is just brainwashing by people who control paychecks and housing/travel expenses. We see this as self evident when we see four general effect judges carrying far more weight than hard talent more objective categories.  Judges should have been left to just judge the way they saw fit based on their expertise of why they got selected in the first place and left alone. A well experienced brass /horn DCI expert in no way needs to be "educated" on how to judge brass. An opinion. But a bit stronger on my part.

Crown won with 6th in percussion. Phantom won percussion in 6th place. one offs happen just as they did then

How so?  I thought that 1987 was basically a stillborn sad state of affairs. The corps spent half the season scoring in the 30s ( with a three) and 40s sometimes. They didn't make it to the semi finals in 1987, never broke a score of 60 all season, and finshed behind the Sancians. Did they have an instructional staff in 1987? I am not sure. For me, 1985 was really their last year as a drum corps. BUT...there is a record of a corps called the Bridgemen that performed in 1987. So there is that. Technically they existed. I admit.

because the show at least wasn't horrifically bad comedy and rap