Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

Always thought of Drum Corps as more progressive than the rest of society in general.  We obviously knew who the kids of color were, who the gay kids were (for the most part), and it wasn't a "thing" since we all focused on a common goal.  

If Garfield feels they have an issue that needs to be addressed (and it's not just virtue signaling), well, good for them!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Always thought of Drum Corps as more progressive than the rest of society in general.  We obviously knew who the kids of color were, who the gay kids were (for the most part), and it wasn't a "thing" since we all focused on a common goal.  

If Garfield feels they have an issue that needs to be addressed (and it's not just virtue signaling), well, good for them!

Or maybe just making sure that there isn’t an issue before it occurs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yeah the old director had a special way about it

Hopkins has nothing to do with this discussion. With all his faults, he was not a racist and all were accepted at the Cadets. Hopkins was a progressive leftist, a racist would never be accepted in that club, you know that well Jeff.

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I agree! The virtue signaling in America is at epic proportions. Are human beings perfect? No, never will be. But I believe DCI (and the Cadets) are going overboard in an attempt to appear woke. For the most part, DCI has been inclusive and accepting for years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

It was one wedgie and I said I was sorry.

Nah all verbal... usually lack of height and lack of handsomeness 😜

Good news is those people matured and some admitted later problem was going through puberty and self esteem issues. Think a lot about that when I hear name calling and insults on the news today.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

So does every organization that looks into their practices about inclusion suddenly a SJW and “woke”? What about groups that have updated their sexual harassment policy and procedures. That falls under inclusion and making sure all people in the group feel non threatened.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tim K said:

Perhaps none, but remember we view things differently today. A non Cadets situation could be an example. Did anyone blink an eye when the Bridgemen, a drum corps from a very northern city in a very northern state, closed in 1979 and 1980 with a Civil War themed ending where quasi-Confederate flags were used and in some shows the South won the battle? It was considered fun and when the Union and Confederate leaders were arm in arm, all’s well that ends well. Today it would never fly, and the kids who march would probably refuse to do the show. 

Yes.

And how would VK's 'Sex Cymbals' be interpreted today?  Or the Surfer Girl?  In hindsight these were somewhat questionable design choices, but there is also a danger in applying current standards retroactively.

• Like 1