Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

22 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes.

And how would VK's 'Sex Cymbals' be interpreted today?  Or the Surfer Girl?  In hindsight these were somewhat questionable design choices, but there is also a danger in applying current standards retroactively.

As a society we evolve and we reevaluate.   Some of society at least.  

The danger lies in not being able to do so and to continue to make the same mistakes. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Continental said:

As a society we evolve and we reevaluate.   Some of society at least.  

The danger lies in not being able to do so and to continue to make the same mistakes. 

Saw an interesting “discussion” on a site yesterday about “Blazing Saddles”. Came up because of Carl Reiner (RIP) and Mel Brooks were best buddies. That movie could not be made today, but is it because of SJW or is it because society changed. All I know is parts that made me laugh BITD make me cringe now. 

“discussion” as it got pretty insulting back and forth...

That and being a (car)toon head I have seen plenty of old cartoons that would be considered racist and homophobic today. Back then few people gave it a thought

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I am having a flashback.  It was just 14 months ago that a quintet of protected classes (recited twice) and the name Darcie Aungst were all over a show design announcement.  Now it is an "equality and inclusion committee".

Inclusion?  Really?

And of all times, this moment of maximum irony?

Drum corps WAS a truly inclusive activity, once upon a time.  Now, it is unapologetically focused on being an advanced-placement summer camp for experienced alumni of the scholastic marching arts activities, which themselves are based largely in affluent suburbia.  Drum corps can no longer even create the pretense of being "inclusive" toward the inexperienced and/or at-risk youth that they used to routinely train from scratch back in the day.  

And now, the activity faces its own economic challenges - some of which are of its own making.  Forgive me if I do not hold my breath waiting to see how drum corps renounces its expensive ways, and instead returns to prioritizing outreach to the socioeconomically underprivileged.

Notice that the poor are not one of the groups selected for greater opportunity and inclusion in these virtue signaling exercises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

I am having a flashback.  It was just 14 months ago that a quintet of protected classes (recited twice) and the name Darcie Aungst were all over a show design announcement.  Now it is an "equality and inclusion committee".

Inclusion?  Really?

And of all times, this moment of maximum irony?

Drum corps WAS a truly inclusive activity, once upon a time.  Now, it is unapologetically focused on being an advanced-placement summer camp for experienced alumni of the scholastic marching arts activities, which themselves are based largely in affluent suburbia.  Drum corps can no longer even create the pretense of being "inclusive" toward the inexperienced and/or at-risk youth that they used to routinely train from scratch back in the day.  

And now, the activity faces its own economic challenges - some of which are of its own making.  Forgive me if I do not hold my breath waiting to see how drum corps renounces its expensive ways, and instead returns to prioritizing outreach to the socioeconomically underprivileged.

Notice that the poor are not one of the groups selected for greater opportunity and inclusion in these virtue signaling exercises.

Shall we say inclusive to those people fortunate enough to be able to afford to join?  I get your point and I agree.....

• Like 2

More virtue signalling.  Sigh....

12 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Even so, 2020 has felt like a pretty nasty combination of 1918, 1933, ....

I’m not sure why my previous post that was opposed to trivializing the racial injustices of the past was removed, but suffice it to say I believe many people who lived through those times (some of whom did not continue to live through those times) would not agree that they are comparable to now.  

I’m sorry if my opposition to serious, violent, and oppressive racism offended anyone.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

because discrimination exists within the activity.

Indeed, although to be fair to drum corps: I think the critics in this thread are correct that drum corps has often been better about this than society writ large.

That said, I think it might be easier for people to see this discrmination if we were talking about sex rather than race (and to be sure, Cadets aren't limiting their work to the latter issue), because everyone can see more clearly how closely drum corps matches the population. How many corps directors are women? It's never been anywhere near 50%, right? There's no natural reason for that. Nothing about women makes them worse drum corps leaders than men. Rather, there is a systematic and largely unconscious bias in drum corps (and society at large) that has kept them from positions of power. 

For example: one response to this point might be: "But no woman who was qualified applied for the job!" It's not good enough to stop there. Even if true, you have to ask yourself: why is that there are lots of men but no women with the qualifications? And the answer will surely be: women aren't getting the drum corps jobs that would qualify them to move up to leadership. And so on. At no point in this chain need there be anyone who thinks "women are inferior". But just because the problem is unconscious doesn't mean it's not a problem.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I’m not sure why my previous post that was opposed to trivializing the racial injustices of the past was removed, but suffice it to say I believe many people who lived through those times (some of whom did not continue to live through those times) would not agree that they are comparable to now.  

I’m sorry if my opposition to serious, violent, and oppressive racism offended anyone.  

I didn't see the post you mention, so I can't comment on it specifically. My point was that while Ms. Bonfiglio's description of 2020 may go too far in describing the current "political, economic, and social unrest" as "unprecedented," because as I said people tend to view the past with rose-colored glasses (part of this is due to the way history is taught), nonetheless this year combines a pandemic (1918) with enormous economic turbulence (1933) and large protests rooted in racial injustice (1968). The fact that current conditions are better than each of those years regarding the highlighted issues doesn't make the combination any more appealing. I was born in 1972, the year of DCI's founding, and I think there's a strong case to be made that in this country, this is the worst year of my lifetime.

28 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

More virtue signalling.  Sigh....

Obviously we should hope that it goes past mere signalling to actually addressing the problem.

• Thanks 1

Born in 1957 and scary as 1968 was with protests, riots, assassinations, Vietnam, USSR and wonder if there would be a bicentennial can’t argue how bad 2020 is. On other side without 50 flavors of “news” and SM for people to express their “unique” views back then probably made 1968 less scary.

Edited by JimF-LowBari