Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

7 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I wasn’t talking about you... actually I agree with “of a corps or circuit wants to improve.... my support”. I just don’t see why people are jumping all over this without knowing the details of what the Cadets are trying to do. Or at least no one is coming up with details here. I read it as POSSIBLY the Cadets want to make sure no harassment occurs from other members but again no details. Which would fall under your “continuous improvement “.

Harassment prevention was a big initiative in 2018.

And how do I know it is worth fixating on the word/concept of "inclusion"?  Well, it is already clear from the description of the committee:

"The Committee will represent a diverse cross-section of the organization to include persons of all races, religions, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and any other relevant distinction as determined by the Committee."

That will be a large committee, in order to include persons of all those groups.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Harassment prevention was a big initiative in 2018.

And how do I know it is worth fixating on the word/concept of "inclusion"?  Well, it is already clear from the description of the committee:

"The Committee will represent a diverse cross-section of the organization to include persons of all races, religions, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity, and any other relevant distinction as determined by the Committee."

That will be a large committee, in order to include persons of all those groups.

Well I’m hoping that a committee looking into issues involving different types of people would include as many different types as possible. How else can they get a better idea of the issues those groups face? Back when I started work there was a group working on an issue of almost no female management. Yep... group was all male...

Thanks for the quote as explains a lot to me. And by many as possible I don’t think they’ll find a Chamorro (Guam native) trans, little person horn player between 18-22... and left handed in case that’s an issue for horn players. But hope management finds a good cross section.

And any policy, including harassment prevention, needs reviewed from time to time to keep up with changes so not just a 2018 and done thing. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

10 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well I’m hoping that a committee looking into issues involving different types of people would include as many different types as possible. How else can they get a better idea of the issues those groups face? Back when I started work there was a group working on an issue of almost no female management. Yep... group was all male....

Different types of people, absolutely.  But all different types?  I hope this effort is not preoccupied with checking off every one of those boxes, instead of moving forward with the people they have.

And any policy, including harassment prevention, needs reviewed from time to time to keep up with changes so not just a 2018 and done thing. 

The word "harassment" did not appear even once in their press release.  Honestly, I wish as much as you do that harassment prevention was the focus.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well I’m hoping that a committee looking into issues involving different types of people would include as many different types as possible. How else can they get a better idea of the issues those groups face?

What about people who are from Arkansas or the "T" part of Pennsylvania?  What if they aren't "urban and more liberal"?    If some of the comments I read here came from someone associated with a given corps, I suspect such people might not choose to join that corps, or if they were made while marching, I suspect they would not feel very "included". 

Edited by skevinp

10 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Different types of people, absolutely.  But all different types?  I hope this effort is not preoccupied with checking off every one of those boxes, instead of moving forward with the people they have.

The word "harassment" did not appear even once in their press release.  Honestly, I wish as much as you do that harassment prevention was the focus.

Yep have to agree with you that “all” is overkill or someone thought it would look nice on paper. Could make management look bad (or at least dumb) when “all” doesn’t occur. Seeing what you quoted explains a lot about your opinion 

And strange that harassment not mentioned. To me that is a huge obstacle to making people feel safe and welcome. See your point now in why you mentioned 2018. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, skevinp said:

What about people who are from Arkansas or the "wrong" part of Pennsylvania?  What if they aren't "urban and more liberal"?    If some of the comments I read here came from someone associated with a given corps, I suspect such people might not choose to join that corps, or if they were made while marching, I suspect they would not feel very "included". 

I never said “wrong part of PA” and someone else said Arkansas so get your quotes right before you complain. The usual phrases are Alabama, Mississippi or the Deep South and have heard those from local people up to national media. IIRC James Carvell was the one who described the “T” on national TV but we’ve known it for years. 

What I did say was “ya ain’t from around here are ya” which I explained above

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I never said “wrong part of PA” and someone else said Arkansas so get your quotes right before you complain. The usual phrases are Alabama, Mississippi or the Deep South and have heard those from local people up to national media. IIRC James Carvell was the one who described the “T” on national TV but we’ve known it for years. 

What I did say was “ya ain’t from around here are ya” which I explained above

I said "some of the comments I read here".  Someone here did refer to Arkansas.  And I'm pretty sure the people here talking about the "T" were not describing it as the "correct" part of Pennsylvania.  As for the rest of your post I have no idea what you are saying, but it doesn't sound like "inclusion" is its objective.

4 hours ago, Continental said:

I suspect it's a few more than that. 

no, in the last 30 years we caught up the 170'0's and 1800's to about 1918

19 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I said "some of the comments I read here".  Someone here did refer to Arkansas.  And I'm pretty sure the people here talking about the "T" were not describing it as the "correct" part of Pennsylvania.  As for the rest of your post I have no idea what you are saying, but it doesn't sound like "inclusion" is its objective.

I’m describing my impressions of what I’ve seen and heard. Those impressions come from my experiences and those who grew up in these areas.  It is what it is and getting upset with people who speak about it out loud isn’t going to change a thing. Only one here saying “not correct” is you.

First time I heard the line “great place to be FROM” 😜 came from a former resident of one of these areas. That was after he got over his shock that I heard of his hometown. (It was on the drive to college). Tussy Mountain baby!!! 😈

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

no, in the last 30 years we caught up the 170'0's and 1800's to about 1918

Well Renovo now has wired internet. One long butted wire 😜 but now internet. Beats the huge tv tower so they could get one station from Altoona you could see AND hear at the same time when I was growing up.

PA “T” trivia. First tv cable company was in Lansford, PA up towards Scranton. Reason was that was the only way to get reception from stations in Philly (or anywhere else for that matter). 1950

Edited by JimF-LowBari