Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m describing my impressions of what I’ve seen and heard. Those impressions come from my experiences and those who grew up in these areas.  It is what it is and getting upset with people who speak about it out loud isn’t going to change a thing. Only one here saying “not correct” is you.

I'm simply saying that if people (whoever they may be) say things that seem to equate entire regions or entire political ideologies with stupidity, bigotry, and homophobia, people from those places (who may be very good people) and with those ideologies (who may have them because they believe they are in the best interest of all people) may not feel welcome by or included in any organization, corps, forum, etc., that they share.

Given the things you profess to care about, I thought you might understand.  I won't bother you with any more hopefulness in that regard.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I'm simply saying that if people (whoever they may be) say things that seem to equate entire regions or entire political ideologies with stupidity, bigotry, and homophobia, people from those places (who may be very good people) and with those ideologies (who may have them because they believe they are in the best interest of all people) may not feel welcome by or included in any organization, corps, forum, etc., that they share.

Given the things you profess to care about, I thought you might understand.  I won't bother you with any more hopefulness in that regard.

if someone would ask me (in general)  if the areas I know about would be very open to change in the way of new people or ideas, I would have to say no. Insulting no... speaking the truth YES. Hope things are getting better with mass communications.

I live in an area that in the 60s and 70s proudly nicknamed itself the “White Shore”. City is on the eastern shore of the river so west became white (and tried like hell to stay that way). It has gotten better but still pockets of ####. So am I being wrong in mentioning that?

Sometimes speaking the ugly truth is first step in improving things..

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

if someone would ask me (in general)  if the areas I know about would be very open to change in the way of new people or ideas, I would have to say no. Insulting no... speaking the truth YES. Hope things are getting better with mass communications.

I live in an area that in the 60s and 70s proudly nicknamed itself the “White Shore”. City is on the eastern shore of the river so west became white (and tried like hell to stay that way). It has gotten better but still pockets of ####. So am I being wrong in mentioning that?

Sometimes speaking the ugly truth is first step in improving things..

If you have issues with individuals of your experience, maybe you should address those issues with those individuals.  That seems like a better first step in improving things than complaining about them on a drum corps forum that I’m guessing not many of them read.

Generalizations are often the very fabric into which prejudice is woven.  As someone who has been the victim of hurtful generalizations throughout my life, and as I’m sure the perpetrators would have often claimed to just be speaking the ugly truth, I’m not sure how generalizations would ever be a step towards improving anything.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skevinp said:

If you have issues with individuals of your experience, maybe you should address those issues with those individuals.  That seems like a better first step in improving things than complaining about them on a drum corps forum that I’m guessing not many of them read.

Generalizations are often the very fabric into which prejudice is woven.  As someone who has been the victim of hurtful generalizations throughout my life, and as I’m sure the perpetrators would have often claimed to just be speaking the ugly truth, I’m not sure how generalizations would ever be a step towards improving anything.  

You have twisted my words on and off the last few weeks on this site. When I ask questions you do not answer and just appears you try to lead me to say what you want to hear. So I’m putting you on ignore for a while as just wasting heartbeats responding. 

5 hours ago, NewToPosting said:

True story:  I did not audition for the Cadets colorguard because before auditions, some horn members were discussing on IRC's #drumcorps chat (before hashtags were a thing, this was mid-90's) about the "queers" in the guard and avoiding them in the showers.  I didn't want to go through whatever those vets were willing to dish out.

The world was a different place then, 25 years ago.  As a 16 year old who had never left a small town, I assumed the whole corps felt that way. 

This makes me sad to read.  Not only that you were deprived of knowing them but also that they were deprived of knowing you.  I hope you were able to march somewhere that was a good experience.  

I support all genuine and sincere efforts to make drum corps a more welcoming place for everyone, regardless of race, gender, identify, orientation, religion, well-intentioned ideology, class, citizenship, or place of residence.  I believe that most people are basically good and that most people will do the right thing upon having the opportunity to work with and learn about others who may be different from them in all kinds of ways.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2020 at 8:42 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

I’m reading it as the corps will not put up with exclusive or bullying behavior by any individual member.

I wonder how much bullying occurs.  

I had a friend who marched a Top-12 corps in the '80s who was having trouble with a newly inserted guard move.  The guard captain got frustrated when they couldn't master it and wacked them in the back with a flag pole.   

I know times are different now and I hope the effort to be the best that you can be no longer allows for a response like that. 

11 hours ago, skevinp said:

What about people who are from Arkansas or the "T" part of Pennsylvania?  What if they aren't "urban and more liberal"?    If some of the comments I read here came from someone associated with a given corps, I suspect such people might not choose to join that corps, or if they were made while marching, I suspect they would not feel very "included". 

i'm less worried about urban and liberal and more concerned about racist and homophobic

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm less worried about urban and liberal and more concerned about racist and homophobic

I agree.  We should not make assumptions about an individual based on where they live or what party they belong or anything else, other than how that individual treats others.

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 3