Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

7 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Amazed I have to say this... 

Dissing entire regional populations (i.e. Arkansas, the "T" of Pennsylvania, etc.), or their political/religious views by demographic inference, is exactly the wrong look for a thread about "inclusion". 

On the other hand, if the goal of regional prejudice is to prove that prejudice is still a problem in society... then, mission accomplished.

Carry on.

On the other hand pointing out that a state or geographical area can contain a wide range of beliefs and experiences can open up some people’s eyes. You call it dissing but this is something PA’ers have known about and dealt with for years so no surprise to us. 

Irony is no one complained that use of Arkansas, Deep South, etc was insulting to those areas.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

On the other hand pointing out that a state or geographical area can contain a wide range of beliefs and experiences can open up some people’s eyes. You call it dissing but this is something PA’ers have known about and dealt with for years so no surprise to us. 

Irony is no one complained that use of Arkansas, Deep South, etc was insulting to those areas.

I would say it is a mistake to paint any region with a broad brush.  

I think I did mention Arkansas after someone referred to it.  The only mention of the Deep South I saw I honestly didn’t know what was being said. 

I grew up in the South, and I can tell you it does hurt on a deep and personal level to hear people make generalizations about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

I think I did mention Arkansas after someone referred to it.  The only mention of the Deep South I saw I honestly didn’t know what was being said. 

I grew up in the South, and I can tell you it does hurt on a deep and personal level to hear people make generalizations about it.

True and hope I used “in general” regarding the T enough times. Use of Alabama, Mississippi and Deep South I’ve seen and heard other places so I mentioned them. Forget what term James Carvell used on tv. Arkansas was a new one for me. Hope that clears that up.... and can understand your hurt and frustrations now that I know you are from the south. 

2 hours ago, skevinp said:

I would very much like to be out of this discussion, but I am posting the above only because I have been accused of twisting words and now I’m being accused of being a liar.  

This thread has devolved into lectures from a few posters on here who believe they are morally and intellectually superior to others. DCP is turning into RAMD, version 2. No real surprise though...one of the individuals who helped turn RAMD into a #### show is on this thread trying to minimize others views.

Edited by dans
  • Thanks 1

Just to show differences in one state.... and without getting into labels or ideologies..... 

First became aware that whole state wasn’t like my home area 1968 elections. Went to bed with Candidate X leading the vote count very well. Get up next day and same Candidate X LOST very well. Whatever is the 6th grade term for wth I said it. Reason was cities had voting machines and got results in before my bedtime. In the hinterlands (is that safe 😜) they used paper ballots and (most) got results in by daybreak. And the hinterlands votes opposite of the cities for the most part.

Interesting phenomenon for someone who has lived his whole life in the ‘burbs around the state capital.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

50 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I was born, raised, & currently live in the South.  And I know first hand that I live with a handful of idiots & some are even family members.  Doesn't hurt my feelings one bit.  Idiots are not limited to the Southern geographical region.  Enjoy this interview from the West Virginia area: 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I was born, raised, & currently live in the South.  And I know first hand that I live with a handful of idiots & some are even family members.  Doesn't hurt my feelings one bit.  Idiots are not limited to the Southern geographical region.  Enjoy this interview from the West Virginia area: 

I have cousins born and raised in Huntington and soon as I heard this accent I knew it had to be close. That was before you added it was from WV. Once went to hospital down the street and nurse came out to ask some questions. When asked if I had any questions I had to say “there’s a reason why I’m asking this... where are you from if you don’t mind”. Yep same county.... 

That area is a whole different feel from my home area but very loose and welcoming.

edit: watched again and if this dude talked real slow instead of fast he could pass for cousin Paul 😳

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Don’t get me wrong.  I have a sense of humor.  And I think most people in the South have a sense of humor about themselves.  Otherwise Foxworthy wouldn’t be a gazillionaire.  

But when I’m told that I am automatically a bigot because I grew up in the South, regardless of what I actually believe or how I actually treat people, and I have been told those things before, then yes, that does hurt because it goes to deeply held values.  Gaining obliviousness to it is not something I would hope to achieve.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1