Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

To be honest, this cartoon makes no sense to me.  The middle frame represents both equal opportunity and equal outcome.  The other two would never happen.  If you are tall enough to see over the fence, you would not perch yourself on top of a box, much less seven of them.

Historically, I think it's fair to say that most people would have seen the first frame as showing "equal opportunity", because every person is given the same thing: one box.

That said, you're probably right that the tall person would just hoard his boxes rather than actually use them.

34 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That said, you're probably right that the tall person would just hoard his boxes rather than actually use them.

What a ridiculous thing to say.  Practically everyone with wealth invests that wealth.  If they put it in the stock market, it helps businesses grow and creates jobs.  If they put it in the bank, it becomes available for loans that help small businesses start and grow, that help new families but homes, and forth.  Even for the things they buy with it, that creates jobs for the people who play a role in providing those things, which is pretty much everyone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dans said:

Many things regarding the ideology that this cartoon represents don't make logical sense. I don't believe these things are intended to make sense, they're designed to get an emotional response. 

You said it.  This kind of thing is what passes for discussion these days.  Shallow, simplistic misrepresentations that evoke a visceral response rather than depth of thought, actual discussion or understanding.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, skevinp said:

What a ridiculous thing to say.  Practically everyone with wealth invests that wealth.

I thought we were talking about tall people not sharing their boxes with short people. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, skevinp said:

What a ridiculous thing to say.  Practically everyone with wealth invests that wealth.  If they put it in the stock market, it helps businesses grow and creates jobs.  If they put it in the bank, it becomes available for loans that help small businesses start and grow, that help new families but homes, and forth.  Even for the things they buy with it, that creates jobs for the people who play a role in providing those things, which is pretty much everyone.

You’re saying then it trickles down. 

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, MikeN said:

You’re saying then it trickles down. 

Mike

No, that phrase is too often used to minimize the real and substantial impact of investment of wealth In our economy.  To me, it’s like saying Niagara Falls trickles down.  

• Like 2

Let’s face it, real discussion and honest debate is really limited in today’s environment 

as a supporter of the cadets I’m delighted they are taking the topic of discrimination seriously 

let’s not morph that into quotas that stack the odds against the most talented applicants

the activity  is extremely white and I think we fix that mostly by returning an actual regional touring model 

Edited by George Dixon
Correct spelling of activity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I thought we were talking about tall people not sharing their boxes with short people. 

My apologies for misunderstanding you.  Please do proceed with your noble cause upon supportIng it with evidence that tall people not sharing their boxes with short people is a widespread epidemic in our society.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Historically, I think it's fair to say that most people would have seen the first frame as showing "equal opportunity", because every person is given the same thing: one box.

I never said anything remotely like that.

Edited by cixelsyd
  • Like 1

So, since we don’t have recaps, or hidden recaps, or slotting issues, we are reduced to arguing about cartoons? Is it June, 202x yet?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer