Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i'm less worried about urban and liberal and more concerned about racist and homophobic

Urban and liberal racists apparently aren't a concern then.

Check.  Got it.  Glad to know that comments coming from those groups get a pass.  Probably a "coast" thing.

Drum corps should stop recruiting in the heartland.  Colts should merge with Cavies, Crown should move to the coast, and Academy should team up with a west coast corps.  That way everyone is "safe" from the conservative (the key noun conveniently left out of the description) racist homophobes.

Rich, white musicians are the LAST people who should be throwing around virtue signals against racism in drum corps.

/sarcasm, kinda.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Urban and liberal racists apparently aren't a concern then.

Check.  Got it.  Glad to know that comments coming from those groups get a pass.  Probably a "coast" thing.

Drum corps should stop recruiting in the heartland.  Colts should merge with Cavies, Crown should move to the coast, and Academy should team up with a west coast corps.  That way everyone is "safe" from the conservative (the key noun you conveniently chose to leave out of your description despite including "liberal") racist homophobes.

Rich, white musicians are the LAST people who should be throwing around virtue signals against racism in drum corps.

/sarcasm, kinda.

Maybe we should just close down DCP for a while. Spent yesterday having my words and meanings twisted so I blocked to stop that BS. First thing see today is the same ####. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Maybe we should just close down DCP for a while. Spent yesterday having my words and meanings twisted so I blocked to stop that BS. First thing see today is the same ####. 

Funny you should reference garfield's response and call for DCP to be shut down. Garfield's response was not twisting any words. He was simply shining a light on the hypocrisy of another poster.

Edited by dans

12 minutes ago, dans said:

Funny you should reference garfield's post and call for DCP to be shut down. Garfield's response was not twisting any words. He was simply shining a light on the hypocrisy of another poster.

Jeff said “I’m less worried about...” and Garfield twisted it into “.. apparently not a concern then”.  Yes words twisted.

And I could read Jeff post as saying he doesn’t care if people are urban or liberal. What he does care about is if people are racist. But will let him clear it up if he wishes.

Yesterday I described the PA “T” and described some bad experiences I’ve had within it. Got a close look as relatives were involved. Then I was accused of saying people from there were from the “wrong” part of the state. Saying words twisted would be nice, more precise would say it was a lie.

Edit - removed my PS as may have been difference over word meaning...

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Jeff said “I’m less worried about...” and Garfield twisted it into “.. apparently not a concern then”.  Yes words twisted.

And I could read Jeff post as saying he doesn’t care if people are urban or liberal. What he does care about is if people are racist. But will let him clear it up if he wishes.

Yesterday I described the PA “T” and described some bad experiences I’ve had within it. Got a close look as relatives were involved. Then I was accused of saying people from there were from the “wrong” part of the state. Saying words twisted would be nice, more precise would say it was a lie.

We will agree to disagree Jim.

Just now, dans said:

We will agree to disagree Jim.

Works for me..... thanks

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:19 AM, greg_orangecounty said:

I'm not a DCI insider and what you're saying is foreign to me: ("unwritten rule that is you were a person of color, you did not march with Corps X").  I've never heard this.  Not saying it's not true, I'm just saying in over 50 years I've never heard it and I have dear friends that are former members, instructors, and executives in the activity.  If it is true, the activity has devolved and needs to be fixed.  When I marched (1969 - 1975) there were only three different types of people: horn players, drummers, and guard members.

That was it.

I live in the northeast and marched with two integrated corps; one junior, one senior during the 1960's..I remember that certain corps were known to be uninviting to people of color..So when I saw some of these previously EXCLUSIVE corps admitting people of color, I was pleasantly surprised and believed that drum corps had finally grown up...Again this was in the (liberal) northeast...New Jersey to be specific..Geography has never limited racism..and those subject to it recognized it for what it was no matter how ATTRACTIVE the uniform...peace

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

I live in the northeast and marched with two integrated corps; one junior, one senior during the 1960's..I remember that certain corps were known to be uninviting to people of color..So when I saw some of these previously EXCLUSIVE corps admitting people of color, I was pleasantly surprised and believed that drum corps had finally grown up...Again this was in the (liberal) northeast...New Jersey to be specific..Geography has never limited racism..and those subject to it recognized it for what it was no matter how ATTRACTIVE the uniform...peace

Live in PA and learned an unwritten rule about some American Legion posts in two local towns. Post xx was the post for Whites and Post xx was the post for Blacks. Not a AL rule of course and national probably didn’t know. But if you lived in those towns.... ya knew. 

Like you said geography has never limited racism

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, skevinp said:

This makes me sad to read.  Not only that you were deprived of knowing them but also that they were deprived of knowing you.  I hope you were able to march somewhere that was a good experience.  

I support all genuine and sincere efforts to make drum corps a more welcoming place for everyone, regardless of race, gender, identify, orientation, religion, well-intentioned ideology, class, citizenship, or place of residence.  I believe that most people are basically good and that most people will do the right thing upon having the opportunity to work with and learn about others who may be different from them in all kinds of ways.

This.

Besides being hilarious, you're posts are generally well-conceived and written.  This is another great example.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well, it's probably not fair to the others here to shut it down because you suggest so.

I intentionally have not replied to you in this thread, Jim, out of respect and recall that we had a "panty-bunching" between us earlier this year.  I didn't reply to you in the post that prompted your reply above.

You state that Jeff's post could be taken more than one way.  I can't disagree with you but, unless Jeff clarifies that he was being illustrative and not comparative in his comments, I'll leave my reply as it.  If he wants to clarify his comment then, in fact, I'd likely agree with his disdain for racism and homophobia no matter where, and in what ideology, he finds it.

In any case, your sensitivity is a primary reason I've been only reading your comments and not replying to you about them.