Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

Geography has never limited racism..

Right!  Which begs the question of how "urban" and "liberal" became part of the discussion in the first place.

But, I also agree that someone from a geography distant from a drum corps may not be in agreement with the societal norms of the community where that drum corps is based and may drive the decision-making of the leadership of the corps.  One potential as a result could be that person not getting a feeling of welcome and inclusion into the corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, it's probably not fair to the others here to shut it down because you suggest so.

I intentionally have not replied to you in this thread, Jim, out of respect and recall that we had a "panty-bunching" between us earlier this year.  I didn't reply to you in the post that prompted your reply above.

You state that Jeff's post could be taken more than one way.  I can't disagree with you but, unless Jeff clarifies that he was being illustrative and not comparative in his comments, I'll leave my reply as it.  If he wants to clarify his comment then, in fact, I'd likely agree with his disdain for racism and homophobia no matter where, and in what ideology, he finds it.

In any case, your sensitivity is a primary reason I've been only reading your comments and not replying to you about them.  

Thank you. Will be interested in any response Jeff makes. And of course knowing Jeff personally and having talked to him one on one gives me a perspective that text only doesn’t give. 

Speaking only of the town my relatives live in I’ll just say there are many issues going on. Place had highest unemployment (80% for a while) in the state for many years. Population dropping, house values always going down.... the town is dying. Lot of anger and jealousy against those in other areas. And being with them for a weekend every year the “masks” would come off at times. Finally did not feel comfortable or welcome. And the ten time being asked “you still have a job” (person asking didn’t or commuted an hour to haul trash in Lock Haven) gives you a creepy feeling. And that was the worst of any “T” town I’ve been in.

Eh... in interest of full disclosure town is Renovo, PA and wiki page is very informative. What wiki doesn’t say is it was also a refurbishing yard for PA railroad. When railroads went downhill half the yards closed. Then the half that was open went up in flames and (toxic) smoke. Then the state closed the nearby strip mine to save the Susquehanna River. Town now has a medical center but for years had no hospital as even that closed. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Let me be clear in stating that the following is in no way directed towards any individual on this platform, nor a response to a particular posting. It is directed towards our entire community.

If we're going to move forward, we'd better learn how to do two things:

1. Face facts

2. Engage in dialog

I have been involved in this drum corps "activity" since 1960. If someone established a Museum of Racism, there have been some corps whose history could fill an entire gallery. Failure to acknowledge that doesn't help. An organization making a public statement about fairness {and establishing a group to monitor that} just might.

Drum Corps has always been a microcosm of and a metaphor for "real" life. As my former boss, Jerry Seawright, was fond of saying, "If you're marking time, you're going backwards."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, garfield said:

In any case, your sensitivity is a primary reason I've been only reading your comments and not replying to you about them.  

Jim, I've watched this place a long time.  

You are anything but "sensitive" when it it comes to the usual banter on here.  I appreciate your honesty and trust your genuine heart-felt comments on here.  In fact, I think you've become a lot more feisty lately with your counter arguments. 

Please keep posting. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Continental said:

Jim, I've watched this place a long time.  

You are anything but "sensitive" when it it comes to the usual banter on here.  I appreciate your honesty and trust your genuine heart-felt comments on here.  In fact, I think you've become a lot more feisty lately with your counter arguments. 

Please keep posting. 

“More feisty..” my sister says now that I’m retired I’m turning into a regular grumpy old fart. 😈. She’s 9 years younger so her turn will come. 😜

4 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

“More feisty..” my sister says now that I’m retired I’m turning into a regular grumpy old fart. 😈. She’s 9 years younger so her turn will come. 😜

We have a choice as we become older. 

We expect people to align to our beliefs or we trust our own and don't really care what others think.  We also don't want to be part of an argument because the final outcome is no longer important. 

From everything you've posted, you've been through the firestorm and come out quite well.

Your honesty is really appreciated. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skevinp said:

I agree.  We should not make assumptions about an individual based on where they live or what party they belong or anything else, other than how that individual treats others.

sadly, in that T or Arkansas part of PA maligned on here, there's a lot of racism and homophobia.

5 hours ago, garfield said:

Urban and liberal racists apparently aren't a concern then.

Check.  Got it.  Glad to know that comments coming from those groups get a pass.  Probably a "coast" thing.

Drum corps should stop recruiting in the heartland.  Colts should merge with Cavies, Crown should move to the coast, and Academy should team up with a west coast corps.  That way everyone is "safe" from the conservative (the key noun conveniently left out of the description) racist homophobes.

Rich, white musicians are the LAST people who should be throwing around virtue signals against racism in drum corps.

/sarcasm, kinda.

there's some. But not nearly as much. I know you're  a smart guy, but I live here, so I understand the make up of the geography and its inhabitants. thanks for your concern tho.

regardless of how much you and others may want to downplay this, kids today are very socially aware, and these are things that do matter to them. And also...untouched in here.....it matters to those that donate to or sponsor corps. I'm not saying corps are doing this solely for $$$, but it has to play somewhat of a part too.

2/3 weeks ago, an instructor of a band that I know down in the DelMarVa peninsula went on a racist rant on Facebook. lstunning even to those of us that knew him. His students saw it, took it to the school administration, and well, now that school is looking for a new percussion caption head. They call it Slower Lower for nothing

Edited by Jeff Ream

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Maybe we should just close down DCP for a while. Spent yesterday having my words and meanings twisted so I blocked to stop that BS. First thing see today is the same ####. 

why take away their fun? if it ##### on what they want, no amount of facts will convince them.

• Haha 1