Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

9 minutes ago, dans said:

The Cadets always made everyone feel welcome.

I’m sure the Cadets as the overall group have always tried to do this.  Got a feeling this is looking deeper into individual members actions or comments. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I would like to hear some Cadets alumni weigh in on how much of a “pro-racist“ organization they felt it was at the time.  

I am pretty sure Cadets haven’t been pro-racist, but I think Denise is saying they can do, do, do better.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I am pretty sure Cadets haven’t been pro-racist, but I think Denise is saying they can do, do, do better.

The Cadets can do better by focusing on putting a well designed show on the field. They have been inclusive and accepting of all for years. So many are desperate to look woke that they look silly 

thank goodness rational adults in the org are acknowledging there's been a problem for decades. 

that doesn't take being woke, just being a real human being who acknowledges that people with experiences different from their own do in fact exist. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, dans said:

The Cadets can do better by focusing on putting a well designed show on the field. They have been inclusive and accepting of all for years. So many are desperate to look woke that they look silly 

I’m reading it as the corps will not put up with exclusive or bullying behavior by any individual member. That’s not being “woke” that’s saying they’re not going to put up with anyone’s crap that could harm another member or the corps itself. Had the same thing where I worked and so do many other places. 

And in this overly legalese world you have to put down in writing what you wouldn’t put up with. Otherwise some clod will use it as a loophole “you didn’t tell me that...”

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

In my humble opinion, she isn’t off to a very good start when she insults millions of victims of serious, oppressive, and/or violent racial injustice by saying: 

“The political, economic, and social unrest that we face daily is unprecedented.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, dans said:

Cadets go all in as social justice warriors. This is the biggest threat to the activity we love. Why are they focused on the sexual orientation of the members? DCI is sliding down a slippery slope. 

I don’t think sexual orientation and identity will be the only focus or perhaps even major focus of this committee. Other corps have issued similar statements since the death of George Floyd and the unrest that has followed. Earlier this week Spirit of Atlanta issued a statement apologizing for past shows that have appeared to some as romanticizing a South is viewed as racist. There are also corps today that are racially diverse that have some serious racial issues in their past, especially those with long histories.

If anyone would be aware of the importance of addressing racial issues, it is Denise Bonfiglio. Her father was a sticker that anyone who wanted to march and could should be allowed the opportunity to do so at a time welcome was not on the doormat of other corps. She probably learned from example.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

What racism problems have the Cadets had for decades?  

Perhaps none, but remember we view things differently today. A non Cadets situation could be an example. Did anyone blink an eye when the Bridgemen, a drum corps from a very northern city in a very northern state, closed in 1979 and 1980 with a Civil War themed ending where quasi-Confederate flags were used and in some shows the South won the battle? It was considered fun and when the Union and Confederate leaders were arm in arm, all’s well that ends well. Today it would never fly, and the kids who march would probably refuse to do the show. 

• Like 2