Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

7 minutes ago, E3D said:

This is the second time I have seen someone call for either a thread or now the entire site to be closed down. 

I't seems so hypocritical when certain points are made and an immediate shutdown is mentioned. 

Well I did say maybe....

My issue was not points being made as that leads to a good discussion. My issue was my words being twisted into things I did not say. That kills discussion as trust is lost

11 minutes ago, E3D said:

This is the second time I have seen someone call for either a thread or now the entire site to be closed down. 

I't seems so hypocritical when certain points are made and an immediate shutdown is mentioned. 

Beyond shutdown, my biggest feat above all is more lavalantula. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

there's some. But not nearly as much. I know you're  a smart guy, but I live here, so I understand the make up of the geography and its inhabitants. thanks for your concern tho.

regardless of how much you and others may want to downplay this, kids today are very socially aware, and these are things that do matter to them. And also...untouched in here.....it matters to those that donate to or sponsor corps. I'm not saying corps are doing this solely for $$$, but it has to play somewhat of a part too.

2/3 weeks ago, an instructor of a band that I know down in the DelMarVa peninsula went on a racist rant on Facebook. lstunning even to those of us that knew him. His students saw it, took it to the school administration, and well, now that school is looking for a new percussion caption head. They call it Slower Lower for nothing

The context of the discussion you replied to was national geographies and how someone from one part of the country might not feel included in the local beliefs of a drum corps' homebase.  You made no specification that you were talking only of your local area.  I would not be so presumptuous to challenge you view of local issues and I'd be just as quick to push back if you did the same to me.  That's not what I was doing.

I have teenage kids, Jeff!  Please don't lecture about some fictional notion you have about me (and apparently others) downplaying anything.  You have no evidence.

And I AM one of those donors!  I give thousands each year and I'm very specific and critical of those I give to; I vote with my wallet and my feet.  I abhor virtue-signalling in all of its examples and there are racists and homophobes in all areas of the country and all realms of ideology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well I did say maybe....

My issue was not points being made as that leads to a good discussion. My issue was my words being twisted into things I did not say. That kills discussion as trust is lost

Please stop, Jim.  I didn't twist his words - I took them EXACTLY how Jeff wrote them.

Perhaps as much care and concern can be given to the words being written as there seems to be about "word-twisting".

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, garfield said:

Please stop, Jim.  I didn't twist his words - I took them EXACTLY how Jeff wrote them.

Perhaps as much care and concern can be given to the words being written as there seems to be about "word-twisting".

Wasn’t talking about you..... 

On 7/7/2020 at 6:46 AM, JimF-LowBari said:

When the “T” in the state gets there... not in my lifetime I’m afraid. Pennsylvania T means Pittsburgh and Philly at bottom corners are urban and more liberal. Then with some exceptions the middle and top (T shape) are rural and “you ain’t from around here are ya”. (And used to go to family reunion halfway between Williamsport and NY state line In the T and had to watch what I said 😒. Don’t think some of them had even seen a minority in person)

I would very much like to be out of this discussion, but I am posting the above only because I have been accused of twisting words and now I’m being accused of being a liar.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 12:58 AM, Jeff Ream said:

correct...and the membership today is far more vocal about these things. that Sara Bowdens postings about things have been nothing short of breath taking, and not always in good ways

Have they ever posted the 2017 and 2018 journals? I read the 2016 one when it dropped, but never saw the other two that they mentioned.

Edited by ftwdrummer

11 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I would very much like to be out of this discussion, but I am posting the above only because I have been accused of twisting words and now I’m being accused of being a liar.  

I unblocked because I thought you might be quoting me. What I am saying is my use of the word “liberal” was confusing and taken the wrong way. I meant liberal in the sense of more accepting of new/different ideas and people. No idea how this is accusing anyone of lying.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yesterday I described the PA “T” and described some bad experiences I’ve had within it. Got a close look as relatives were involved. Then I was accused of saying people from there were from the “wrong” part of the state. Saying words twisted would be nice, more precise would say it was a lie.

To clarify, I put the single word in quotes for emphasis, not to say any one person used that one word.  And as I have already explained, with concrete evidence provided, my words there were about posts I had read in general, and did not single you out.  

Amazed I have to say this... 

Dissing entire regional populations (i.e. Arkansas, the "T" of Pennsylvania, etc.), or their political/religious views by demographic inference, is exactly the wrong look for a thread about "inclusion". 

On the other hand, if the goal of regional prejudice is to prove that prejudice is still a problem in society... then, mission accomplished.

Carry on.

• Like 3