Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

I also forgot to mention Fred Morrison, former director of the Crossmen, who:

1) Knowingly hired a sex offender, eventually promoting this person to assistant director of the organization. When this was brought to light, he resigned as DCI board chairman but remained executive director with Crossmen.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/drum-corps-george-hopkins-joel-moody-cadets-crossmen-sexual-misconduct-20180515.html

2) Made racist posts on his social media account, which led to his resignation from the organization last month. We have a thread about it in the forums, in fact.

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/173004-xmen-director-resigns/

None of this is a good look for a non-profit youth organization.

This activity is not, and never has been, just about what happens on the field.

59 minutes ago, kevingamin said:

1) Knowingly hired a sex offender, eventually promoting this person to assistant director of the organization. When this was brought to light, he resigned as DCI board chairman but remained executive director with Crossmen.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/drum-corps-george-hopkins-joel-moody-cadets-crossmen-sexual-misconduct-20180515.html

2) Made racist posts on his social media account, which led to his resignation from the organization last month. We have a thread about it in the forums, in fact.

https://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/173004-xmen-director-resigns/

To go with that last sentence... just ran across that yesterday Mandarins broke ties with Marching Apparel. Supposedly the CEO posted some racist things that the corps of course disagrees with. (Looking for details)

edit: found details and not going there... Twitter search of marching apparel and expanding some replies should do it:::

Edited by JimF-LowBari

These are all very important matters for organizations to address.  I don’t want anyone to be harassed or excluded or treated unfairly because of their race, gender, orientation, religion, ideology, or geographic background.  

For these and other reasons, the language organizations use in making these statements is critical.  It seems to me you can express a commitment to specifically defined ideals without aligning with a particular movement or organization.  

Any organization who does the latter suggests to me that they either didn’t care enough to put real thought into the matter or they care more about appearances than the actual people they want to be seen as helping. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kevingamin said:

No, it's not.  Icons of this activity have been deviants (more than one) and those who could have done something looked the other way due to their success on the field.  Not excusing any of the behavior, but this has occurred everywhere human beings are present.  

Glad times have changed.

1 hour ago, greg_orangecounty said:

No, it's not.  Icons of this activity have been deviants (more than one) and those who could have done something looked the other way due to their success on the field.  Not excusing any of the behavior, but this has occurred everywhere human beings are present.  

Glad times have changed.

Times are changing, but there is more to do so member safety and well being is more than just lip service. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This Thursday as part of Marching Arts Education's DCI Summer Of Learning:

3:00 pm Eastern – Creating an Anti-Racist Culture at Bluecoats

• Recently the Bluecoats organization has committed to advancing an anti-racist culture at Bluecoats. The first step was the formation of the Diversity & Inclusion Advisory Council. This council recently published four action steps that the Bluecoats organization will pursue on it’s path to advancing a more inclusive and anti-racist culture. Hear from members of this Advisory Council and the Executive Team at Bluecoats about this important endeavor.  With Bryen Warfield, Mike Scott, Ric Brown, and Ebony Rose.  Watch live and ask questions during the webinar!  Sign Up Here

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, kevingamin said:

Were  the posts actually  “racist”? I found them insensitive JMO perhaps I didn’t see all of them 

Edited by George Dixon

On 7/12/2020 at 6:40 PM, JimF-LowBari said:

To go with that last sentence... just ran across that yesterday Mandarins broke ties with Marching Apparel. Supposedly the CEO posted some racist things that the corps of course disagrees with. (Looking for details)

edit: found details and not going there... Twitter search of marching apparel and expanding some replies should do it:::

I feel like the word racist is being thrown around an awful lot 

what was specifically said that was “racist”? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I feel like the word racist is being thrown around an awful lot 

what was specifically said that was “racist”? 

Only saw pieces from a screen shot but that had: “BLM is a racist organization out to destroy America, are you woke yet” and “BLM can go to hell”. This is from the CEO.

update: apparently Genesis also dropped MA...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Were  the posts actually  “racist”? I found them insensitive JMO perhaps I didn’t see all of them 

I didn't see the second post Jim mentions. I did see the first post Jim mentioned, which was actually sharing a video with that title, and I watched the video.

In my opinion, that post was racist, but I could certainly imagine arguments to the contrary, some of which probably would note the identity of the speakers in the video.

However, I think it's indisputable that the post was not anti-racist, and was certainly at odds with the Crossmen's official position. Morrison had to know that it would undercut the organization's efforts. And really, he should have been gone long before that for the entirely separate actions Kevin mentions.