Cadets Establish Equality And Inclusion Committee

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Perhaps none, but remember we view things differently today. A non Cadets situation could be an example. Did anyone blink an eye when the Bridgemen, a drum corps from a very northern city in a very northern state, closed in 1979 and 1980 with a Civil War themed ending where quasi-Confederate flags were used and in some shows the South won the battle? It was considered fun and when the Union and Confederate leaders were arm in arm, all’s well that ends well. Today it would never fly, and the kids who march would probably refuse to do the show. 

And made the South win😵Which took place during the 2nd part of tour heading to the South and Birmingham 

Edited by GUARDLING

7 hours ago, Tim K said:

Perhaps none, but remember we view things differently today. A non Cadets situation could be an example. Did anyone blink an eye when the Bridgemen, a drum corps from a very northern city in a very northern state, closed in 1979 and 1980 with a Civil War themed ending where quasi-Confederate flags were used and in some shows the South won the battle? It was considered fun and when the Union and Confederate leaders were arm in arm, all’s well that ends well. Today it would never fly, and the kids who march would probably refuse to do the show. 

My question was specifically directed to someone who appeared to be saying the Cadets needed to be “acknowledging there’s been a problem for decades”, and provided an opportunity to either clarify that’s not what he meant (so as not to harm others) or provide evidence of long-standing racist practices within the Cadets organization that supports the contention (so it can be taken seriously and addressed).  So far he has refrained from doing either.  

My memory is fine.  For example, I remember knowing about 100s of years of “political, economic, and social unrest“ that was far worse than what we have today.  And living through some of it.  

Edited by skevinp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, skevinp said:

I would like to hear some Cadets alumni weigh in on how much of a “pro-racist“ organization they felt it was at the time.  

I'm not connected to the Cadets, but just by way of comparison: the non-profits performing arts organization I work for is undergoing a similar process to what the Cadets have outlined. It's not my place to get in specifics of what I've heard people share in these discussions, but I can say that I found, as we devled into this subject, that white employees and BIPOC employees have pretty different views about how racially inclusive the organization has been.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

My memory is fine.  For example, I remember knowing about 100s of years of “political, economic, and social unrest“ that was far worse than what we have today.  And living through some of it.  

I think it's absolutely true that people tend to believe the past was better than it was, and thus see the present as worse than it is. Even so, 2020 has felt like a pretty nasty combination of 1918, 1933, and 1968.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think it's absolutely true that people tend to believe the past was better than it was, and thus see the present as worse than it is. Even so, 2020 has felt like a pretty nasty combination of 1918, 1933, and 1968.

Millions of more people, individual values are not as strong, and  millions of more single mothers to name a few issues.

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Millions of more people, individual values are not as strong, and  millions of more single mothers to name a few issues.

Not sure how problematic those three issues you identify really are (e.g., I'm looking forward to reading a new book due out later this year called One Billion Americans that argues that outcome would be good for this country), and I'm pretty skeptical that the second one is even true. To keep it on topic, we can look at an example on attitudes toward race: lately I saw a survey that indicated it wasn't until the late 1990s that a majority of Americans supported interracial marriage. (I personally remember a classroom discussion on this issue when I was a high school senior in 1990 where it was clear that at least 50% of my classmates didn't think people of different races should marry.) Now only about 10% of Americans oppose interracial marriage. So on the individual value of racial tolerance, we're in a better place than were before.

5 hours ago, dans said:

Cadets go all in as social justice warriors. This is the biggest threat to the activity we love. Why are they focused on the sexual orientation of the members? DCI is sliding down a slippery slope. 

because discrimination exists within the activity.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, dans said:

The Cadets always made everyone feel welcome.

yeah the old director had a special way about it

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3