Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

15 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

How's  this for generalities , Does it matter? Personally I'm a little sick of hearing stats.especially doubting we get the truth sometimes. Sure they are important BUT for all the statters , Have you sat in front of a Covid unit waiting on results of a loved one? Well I have, twice. Every stat mentioned is a human life period, For those who think our children only have a minimal risk, Is that enough or even a smaller risk worth it? We will sit here and want to cut out a cancer of a bad egg in the activity so there is no risk to not even 1 child, even the smallest yet stats would decide with Covid? Well, the stats of some perv. attacking our child I bet is alot lower and easier to get rid of the monster , hopefully.

Also even though we can not protect kids from many things and can not live with fear, with this, which changes daily one has to ask themselves KNOWING there is something deadly or something that could make them very sick. Is not dying the bar we have set with some?  One just has to personally ask themselves. If it were God for Bid one of ours personally , can we live with that? One has to ask themselves that because I suppose people will have different feelings.

I know it sounds like preaching and maybe it is but all I know is twice I know and saw alot as a loved one went into a Covid unit and me being stopped, it's not a good feeling and so many things go through your head when it happens. For me anyway, I see stats now very different. I know they are or can be important IF honest and not political on any side  but I don't see numbers anymore, I see humans .

I don't want to minimize your experiences. 

But it is not a good idea to make policy based on anecdotes instead of the best available data. 

And there are very significant secondary effects to these COVID policy decisions that must be accounted for. For example, are the elementary aged children of single parents going to stay at home by themselves and log into zoom (or whatever) while their parents go to work? Suicides are up tremendously, substance abuse has increased, etc

Somewhere, there is a tipping point in which the number of lives saved is not worth the other consequences. Good people will likely passionately disagree over where this line is. And that is ok. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tedrick said:

Could anyone point to a non biased information source?

Not sure what you consider biased (I certainly consider Scott Adams biased, to put it mildly) but this article in Nature suggests the infecton fatality rate of Covid-19 is in the range of 0.5% and 1.0% (for comparison: the rate for seasonal inluenza is 0.1%), while listing a number of caveats.

29 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

I don't want to minimize your experiences. 

But it is not a good idea to make policy based on anecdotes instead of the best available data. 

And there are very significant secondary effects to these COVID policy decisions that must be accounted for. For example, are the elementary aged children of single parents going to stay at home by themselves and log into zoom (or whatever) while their parents go to work? Suicides are up tremendously, substance abuse has increased, etc

Somewhere, there is a tipping point in which the number of lives saved is not worth the other consequences. Good people will likely passionately disagree over where this line is. And that is ok. 

Thank You, I don't wish that experience on anyone.

Yes , we have all heard all those talking points, All I will say IF God forbid it gets personal to someone the stats wont mean a thing and I have seen others all of a sudden look at it differently. 

You are right there are secondary effects and need to be carefully watched. We can always find a reason why to do something OR not do something. I do suppose one can make those choices for themselves and like everything, we live with those choices. I do draw the line with personal choices and rights  which we all have,  if effects me or others in a negative way. We do have choices and should be allowed them IMO until we infringe or do harm to others. JMO

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, soccerguy315 said:

And 90% of all COVID deaths in NY State have at least 1 comorbidity. 

It may be worth noting that about 50% of Americans have a comorbidity for Covid-19.

- - - - - - - - - -

You'd think everyone would be taking this outbreak seriously by now, but these two stories from Texas and here in Ohio about victims in their 30s suggest not:

https://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/i-thought-this-was-a-hoax-patient-in-their-30s-dies-after-attending-covid-party

https://www.cleveland19.com/2020/07/10/year-old-port-clinton-war-vet-dies-covid-complications-fourth-july/

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

While that certainly seems like a very real possibility, is there any data showing it to be true?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

- with the above in mind, it is in the best interest of the kids to get them back to in-person school for a number of other physical, mental and emotional health reasons

It might be, as long as we're willing to write off their teachers and parents.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

It might be, as long as we're willing to write off their teachers and parents.

And grandparents who handle after school care (waving hand).

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And grand parents who handle after school care (waving hand).

My mom has been my nephew's babysitter since he was born almost five years ago. He started preschool last fall and was supposed to start kindgergarten this year. After a few months of being entirely at home with him while working remotely, my sister now has to go into work once a week, so my mom's been watching him on that day. But I've told her that if he starts live schooling before there's a vaccine, she just can't do that. She's 75, she has COPD, she's had more than one stroke in the past, and she had major surgery on both her lungs and heart.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

My mom has been my nephew's babysitter since he was born almost five years ago. He started preschool last fall and was supposed to start kindgergarten this year. After a few months of being entirely at home with him while working remotely, my sister now has to go into work once a week, so my mom's been watching him on that day. But I've told her that if he starts live schooling before there's a vaccine, she just can't do that. She's 75, she has COPD, she's had more than one stroke in the past, and she had major surgery on both her lungs and heart.

Exactly. I have been watching my granddaughters four days a week from 9:30 to 5:30. If they go back to school without a vaccine, I can’t watch them after school. My wife is immunocompromised and we can’t risk her getting sick from watching the grandkids. 

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Possibly relevant to planning for drum corps: despite putting procedures in place meant to prevent the spread, "85 kids, counsellors infected with coronavirus in YMCA camp outbreak, Georgia officials say". The camp closed in late June after a counsellor tested positive. The story notes that 82 people at a summer camp in Missouri also have been infected.

WV cancelled all band rehearsals til mid August. Nj delayed the start  of fall sports til October

Edited by Jeff Ream