Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

I think one of our biggest problems in all this the fact that so many of us can't strike a balance between our "rights" and the welfare of the community. We don't actually need leaders or directives for this. What we need are critical thinking skills. This is a pretty good argument for the importance of a Liberal Arts component in everyone's education, but I digress.

England, 13th Century, the Magna Carta - this is the legal basis for recognizing our personal rights and liberties, as every schoolkid who has taken a History class knows. When, 700 years later, the Brits were getting bombed by the Nazi Luftwaffe, Londoners made the logical, ethical decision to forego some of their personal prerogatives (socializing in large groups, leaving the lights on, unlimited freedom of movement...etc.) for the welfare of the community at large.

Given the severity of the threat to the country, people made the decision to cooperate with one another.

I respect the intelligence of those who post here and their ability to draw their own conclusions.

Edited by ironlips
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

1.  In case you missed it:

"kids are also less likely to pass it onto others"

In case you missed it:

"In congressional testimony on June 30, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, addressed questions around children and the coronavirus. 'We don't really know, exactly, what the efficiency of spread is' among children. The NIH, Fauci mentioned, is currently studying 2,000 families to understand the rate of infection for children and 'how often they infect their families.'

During the testimony, [CDC director Dr. Robert] Redfield also mentioned that the CDC is currently studying households to understand what role children play in passing the virus on. 'We don't know the impact that children have yet on the transmission cycle,' Redfield said."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ironlips said:

I think one of our biggest problems in all this the fact that so many of us can't strike a balance between our "rights" and the welfare of the community. We don't actually need leaders or directives for this. What we need are critical thinking skills. This is a pretty good argument for the importance of a Liberal Arts component in everyone's education, but I digress.

England, 13th Century, the Magna Carta - this is the legal basis for recognizing our personal rights and liberties, as every schoolkid who has taken a History class knows. When, 700 years later, the Brits were getting bombed by the Nazi Luftwaffe, Londoners made the logical, ethical decision to forego some of their personal prerogatives (socializing in large groups, leaving the lights on, unlimited freedom of movement...etc.) for the welfare of the community at large.

Given the severity of the threat to the country, people made the decision to cooperate with one another.

I respect the intelligence of those who post here to draw their own conclusions.

Just thinking of the times comments or questions were made why I wear a mask. When I basically reply “for other people” the response is ?????? as if doing things for others “does not compute”. No idea why.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

What percentage in this scenario are you thinking?  I don't think it's gone up very much since children were supposed to go on line back a few months ago.  Too many reports by teachers of low numbers of students participating on a regular basis.  You go on line Mon. and Tues, then miss a day or two, you're falling behind.   For those parents who hardly ever get involved with their children's education, they may not be very active with the child while they are on the computer.  The parent/parents might be at work.  Our standing in math/science has been dropping over the years, lack of classroom learning might continue that trend.

There is a percentage of children who will not be online. I'ts like some here do not want children to be taken care of. Talk of inclusion here on other threads and some of those same members posting that kids can just go online for school. Hypocrisy at work here. The talk of value on lives while out the back side just offhand comments about online learning. 

2 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

But it is never "safe".  There is always some risk.

Never thought I would be the one writing one of these (and especially to you, the last person who would need a reminder).  But this is why you hear people make those comparisons to the flu.  Flu kills people too, it is spread much more effectively by children, and yet we make no effort to maintain social distancing, wear masks, check temperatures daily, perform regular testing for infection with or without symptoms, decrease class density, install barriers, mandate disinfectant deep cleaning, or replace classroom learning entirely with an online curriculum on its account.

School reopening will include massive precautions of the nature I just described above.  It may well be safer than staying home.

Agree that the delay in communicating planned precautions is ridiculous and frustrating.  Not like there has not been any time... 

Sad to say - For many children it is safer than home. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I hope we can continue to discuss this topic without becoming too political. Let’s make keeping this thread open a goal of ours.

:united:

I have to say though - It is clear who and where the political points are coming from. 

It's like bait or it sure seems that way. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, E3D said:

:united:

I have to say though - It is clear who and where the political points are coming from. 

It's like bait or it sure seems that way. 

I’m sure that people on both sides of the issue feel that way. It is a complicated topic that evokes a lot of strong emotion. I’m hoping that despite these differences, we can be civil and keep the dialogue going. We can disagree without being disagreeable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Lets also realize that info given by the government is so all over the place. What and who do you believe. A friend who is a leading ID doctor in a state who claimed to be the beacon of light on how to handle this now only to be leading in cases said over a month ago DO NOT believe what you are being told . Well here we are what was said over a month ago now the Gov. is trying to justify their actions. 

Given that the so-called experts have failed to outperform a dartboard, I’m not sure why we would expect anyone to have the answers.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Given that the so-called experts have failed to outperform a dartboard, I’m not sure why we would expect anyone to have the answers.  

Very true BUT I will still put my money on the expert rather than the dart board. I 'll take expert , even over

Dartboards vary both in materials and layout. Materials used for dartboards have included a wide variety of plastic materials, wood, straw, paper, and sisal fiber.

The so called expert I was referring to  just happened  to be spot on. It's all playing out right now

Not sure I got the analogy but gave it a shot..lol

Edited by GUARDLING