Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

56 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I think you probably mean zero new deaths.

Yes, you're correct. Sorry about that.

(I conflated the story about New York City having zero new deaths with the story about New Zealand having zero cases -- not just zero new cases, but none at all: New Zealand is presently Covid-free.) 

Edited by N.E. Brigand

15 minutes ago, DAvery said:

According to numbers on the CDC website the mortality rate in the US is 4.2%. 

I think it's pretty likely that the reason that number would be much lower if there were more testing. Quite a while ago (maybe as far back as March), I suggested that we needed to test at least 750,000 people per day. I think there's just been a handful of days so far (all in the past couple weeks) when we've done so.

1 hour ago, DAvery said:

According to numbers on the CDC website the mortality rate in the US is 4.2%. 

That is what Johns Hopkins is reporting IIRC.

Y'all can @ me all you want but I do not see how DCI can move forward until 2022 at the earliest. WGI 2021 will not happen. not enough time to put a season together. And I don't see how any state or program can fiel;d a marching band in 2020. For those quoting stats, just stop. While kids might not be in the high risk category, their friends and loved ones are, and they can be carriers. The medical experts agree that sending kids back to school before we have a vaccine can cause a super spreader event. 

Look, I know this hurts, but we'll get through it. DCI is going to need to make some tough decisions. I know it's way too early to cancel a 2021 season, but  realistically I think it's highly likely that's what happens. And if it does, how does this impact the activity? How do we recover? And will there be interest?

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

On 7/12/2020 at 12:51 PM, cixelsyd said:

But it is never "safe".  There is always some risk.

Never thought I would be the one writing one of these (and especially to you, the last person who would need a reminder).  But this is why you hear people make those comparisons to the flu.  Flu kills people too, it is spread much more effectively by children, and yet we make no effort to maintain social distancing, wear masks, check temperatures daily, perform regular testing for infection with or without symptoms, decrease class density, install barriers, mandate disinfectant deep cleaning, or replace classroom learning entirely with an online curriculum on its account.

School reopening will include massive precautions of the nature I just described above.  It may well be safer than staying home.

Agree that the delay in communicating planned precautions is ridiculous and frustrating.  Not like there has not been any time... 

The flu's mortality rate is % 0.4. Covid-19's mortality rate is % 4.2. There is no way you can honestly compare the two. We also have a vaccine for the flu. 

• Like 1

looks like AZ just cancelled. so much for heat killing it off

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Y'all can @ me all you want but I do not see how DCI can move forward until 2022 at the earliest. WGI 2021 will not happen. not enough time to put a season together. And I don't see how any state or program can fiel;d a marching band in 2020. For those quoting stats, just stop. While kids might not be in the high risk category, their friends and loved ones are, and they can be carriers. The medical experts agree that sending kids back to school before we have a vaccine can cause a super spreader event. 

Look, I know this hurts, but we'll get through it. DCI is going to need to make some tough decisions, but its way too early to cancel a 2021 season. That said, I think its highly likely that's what happens, and if so, ho does this impact the activity. 

Maybe it’s time DCI and the corps start smacking heads together to determine how to survive no tour until ?????. Ways to keep people’s interest until things can start returning.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Maybe it’s time DCI and the corps start smacking heads together to determine how to survive no tour until ?????. Ways to keep people’s interest until things can start returning.

I'm sure these conversations have already started happening. Based on a few conversations with friends in the activity, until we know when a vaccine is going to be available and how its going to be dispersed, and its effectiveness, there is no meaningful way to plan a season at this point. Most facilities are not in a position to sign contracts for events, and housing sites would be a huge question mark. Some bus companies will probably go out of business, leaving transportation questions.  Even things like food preparation come into question. And how effective is the vaccine once its dispersed? Do people need to be innoculated every three months?

Bottom line, planning for the 2021 season should have already begun. The rumors swirling around is that 2022 is the earliest we might see a WGI/DCI season, and even those are up in the air. 2022 could be a mix of heavy regional performances and a small national tour (don't hold me to that, this is all just talk right now). There is a harsh reality that is about to set in for the pageantry arts world... once that could take the better part of a decade to recover. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 3