Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

Since it is apparently OK to care about the facts again (at least for a second) I would point out that the 4.2% is not the mortality rate.  It is the case fatality rate.  That is a hugely important difference if we want to understand the risks.

Im confused what is the difference?

2 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Anyone my age and looks that good (from whatever camera distance they use) has going for her..... 😆

Remember when they tried to make her a movie star?

I don't think the acting lessons at the "Ali MacGraw School of Fine Acting" paid off in the end.

I know this is off topic, but since this thread is about to derail, I figured why not. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Jim, you've said you are recently retired.

If you ever get bored and think about doing something part time, you might apply to Target.

Their will recognize the one on your back and hire you instantly. 

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

The case fatality rate just divides deaths by known cases.  We know that known cases are just a fraction of actual cases, though we don’t know exactly how many there are.  So the actual fatality rate, which suggests the chance of dying if you get it, is much lower.

Edited by skevinp

Veering back on topic, I am curious about something.  This forecast was posted on page 1 of this thread:

On 7/8/2020 at 9:35 PM, E3D said:

No school for the Fall - no bands - no sports for the Fall = no dci in 2021 either. 

My question for all of you -

Say C-19 is effectively mitigated by vaccine(s) which become widely available in the fall/winter, but by which time WGI and other winter pageantry arts circuits have cancelled their seasons.  How many of you feel that no matter what the timing/circumstances, there is no chance that DCI would be the first marching arts circuit to return to action?  In other words, is the return of either fall marching band or winter guard/perc/etc. a prerequisite to the return of DCI?

3 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Veering back on topic, I am curious about something.  This forecast was posted on page 1 of this thread:

Say C-19 is effectively mitigated by vaccine(s) which become widely available in the fall/winter, but by which time WGI and other winter pageantry arts circuits have cancelled their seasons.  How many of you feel that no matter what the timing/circumstances, there is no chance that DCI would be the first marching arts circuit to return to action?  In other words, is the return of either fall marching band or winter guard/perc/etc. a prerequisite to the return of DCI?

Based on what has been reported (and opinions I myself have personally heard) there are other challenges if/when a vaccine is produced.

There are many people who do not want to take the vaccine because of inane conspiracy theories.  No, it will not have a controlling microchip embedded in it.

Unless proof of vaccination is mandatory for participation in the activity,  it's just another road block to having a competitive season. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, skevinp said:

The case fatality rate just divides deaths by known cases.  We know that known cases are just a fraction of actual cases, though we don’t know exactly how many there are.  So the actual mortality rate, which suggests the chance of dying if you get it, is much lower.

Little less murky but I’m OK. Just a reminder that death cert will probably not list CV as cause of death. More likely pneumonia or acute respiratory distress just like in regular flu deaths. 

2 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Y'all can @ me all you want but I do not see how DCI can move forward until 2022 at the earliest. WGI 2021 will not happen. not enough time to put a season together. And I don't see how any state or program can fiel;d a marching band in 2020. For those quoting stats, just stop. While kids might not be in the high risk category, their friends and loved ones are, and they can be carriers. The medical experts agree that sending kids back to school before we have a vaccine can cause a super spreader event. 

Look, I know this hurts, but we'll get through it. DCI is going to need to make some tough decisions. I know it's way too early to cancel a 2021 season, but  realistically I think it's highly likely that's what happens. And if it does, how does this impact the activity? How do we recover? And will there be interest?

College basketball leagues are announcing they are not participating this season. And that’s just the beginning. As cases rise more and more out of people’s sheer ignorance and stupidity, more activities will be forced to cease operations. That alone should tell people that a niche activity like DCI has little chance of making a return next season. 

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

From what Im told by many...hopeful for 2021 season.Likleyhood , pretty darn low  and yes band season as well as WGI will have an affect.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

DCI and WGI if operated by the sample that is active around here, has no chance to return.

One person gets angry because I make a sarcastic comment about numbers, yet they can post up info on numbers without anyone getting all bent out of shape - Hypocrisy controls and rules the day.

If and that is a big IF people finally realize that we have to find a way to work safer with this virus in our lives then nothing is coming back. 

Vac is a huge if and when.