Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Just so we're clear: it appears that your argument is that there's no such thing as a someone with a flu "case" who is asymptomatic -- do I have that right?

In other words, if you're infected by the flu, and you have symptoms, you have a case of the flu? But if you're infected by the flu, and you have no symptoms, you don't have a case of the flu?

Meanwhile if you're infected by Covid-19, whether you have symptoms or you don't have symptoms, you have a case?

My understanding from the beginning, based on relentless media repitition, is that the unique feature of C-19 is the asymptomatic cases.  We have been told that people can carry it and infect others over a two week period, and still have no idea they were ever infected.  And for this to be unique, the flu must therefore not have a correspondingly similar behavior.

Of course, every flu infection is asymptomatic... at the very beginning (correct terminology is "pre-symptomatic").  There is even a brief time (about a day) when the infection is contagious before onset of symptoms.  But as far as I know, there are no flu cases where a person can infect others, yet never experience symptoms themselves.  If a person is immune, either via vaccine or naturally acquired immunity, they will defeat the infection and not become infectious themselves.

If my understanding is incorrect, let me know.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Continental said:

if you alter my post you should say it up front. I think altering my post is against the forum rules. Change it please. 

5 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

###### ###### just got tank of gas at Sheetz and in line hear noise behind me. Young moron working for traffic signal crew right up my ### and no mask. Got the proverbial “yeah I’m cool” look and backwards cap. No mask and too self centered to social distance. And his buddy same way right behind him. I jumped out of line and just stared. They were too absorbed in themselves to even notice. 
That was after my count the maskless idiots at BestBuys service desk. 
Anyone want to guess why it’s taking so #### long to go back to normal...

rant off....

for all the good it will do (HA) sent nasty gram to the company....

good for them its their rights. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, E3D said:

good for them its their rights. 

The best thing I can do right now is turn off my phone and walk away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This is what you wrote, in response to Jim writing that for both influenza and Covid-19, there are asymptomatic cases:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But the criteria are not the same.

1.  As the science has been pointing out from the beginning, a great number of C-19 cases are asymptomatic.  You can get C-19, yet have no idea you caught anything.  Flu cases are more thoroughly reported because there are no asymptomatic flu cases.  When you get the flu, you know you are sick.

2.  Right now, we are operating in a pandemic with all kinds of shutdowns, social distancing, and deferral of routine/diagnostic doctor visits, not to mention shortages and delays in testing capacity.  A lot of sick people are simply staying home and toughing it out.  That behavior creates a much larger disparity between actual cases and reported cases.  Baseline flu statistics were developed during peacetime, when people could go to the doctor whenever they so chose.  There has been no peacetime during which to gather comparable statistics on C-19.

There are risks and uncertainties involved in all our options going forward.  The best we can do is to refrain from panic, and weigh these factors as honestly and thoroughly as we can.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just so we're clear: it appears that your argument is that there's no such thing as a someone with a flu "case" who is asymptomatic -- do I have that right?

In other words, if you're infected by the flu, and you have symptoms, you have a case of the flu? But if you're infected by the flu, and you have no symptoms, you don't have a case of the flu?

Meanwhile if you're infected by Covid-19, whether you have symptoms or you don't have symptoms, you have a case?

"The best thing I can do right now is turn off my phone and walk away."

they play but they really do play. 

31 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

realizing that no matter what we do - covid19 is still out there. 

the only way to exist is to work with it. someone does not want to wear a mask so what. why do you have to wrap yourself in circles over it? 

39 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

That is probably a great idea if you have given all you have and nothing left to give. :lol::notme:

I'm not sure you really wan to be at that point but hey thats cool and all. 

I'm in my 60's, exercise only when forced, and have high blood pressure.  I had COVID-19 last month and it lasted about 4 days.  My daughter had it too.  She lost her sense of taste and had a mild headache for a day.  We've both recovered and have no residual issues.  Oddly, my wife never contracted it - go figure.

I hope no one reading this contracts it but, if you do, you will probably be ok.  

• Like 1