Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

33 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

in my region ( which goes into NJ, DE and MD, there's a lot of opposition. parents to a point, but a lot from teachers who basically feel they are being thrown to the wolves.

My fear is that schools will open up with a bunch of half-baked plans and some teachers will die as a result.

And then some people here will say, "Oh well; you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs."

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

More on topic.... PSAC (PA State Athletic Conference) just announced all Fall sports cancelled. This affects all 14 PA state colleges, most musical ones would be West Chester (East) and Indiana (west).

edit: these would be Division II schools

and West Chester and I believe East Stroudsburg announced virtual

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

Someday - maybe this fall, maybe when the vaccine comes, maybe ten years after the vaccine proves out - your schools are going to reopen.  Regardless of how/when they reopen, no one will be forcing your wife or child to return to those schools.  Everyone has the right to opt out.

As far as "disaster waiting to happen", which is safer?

- A school reopening predicated upon mandatory and frequent testing headlining the long list of precautions

- The status quo of mostly unsupervised pool parties and random activities among people with zero access to testing

I noticed you did not mention testing in your post.  If your school district is not including that in their plans, then you should absolutely raise #### over that ########.

maybe comes. still a lot of testing to do. if a vaccine is available i guarantee it'll be mandatory for every kid, and teachers...and probably most health insurers too.

what is safe is not sending my wife and kid into an already existing germ factory in a pandemic. we can control us, but we can't control everyone else, and too many people are more worried about plitical viewpoints and liberty than ####### common sense and courtesy for the world around them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Don’t have the heart to ask my sister in law at Halifax. Her hubby has had major health issues and is under her work health insurance. She was going to work until he could get under MediCare as they couldn’t afford their own health insurance with his history. Now does she retire and eat spaghetti (cheap eats) until he goes under MediCare or work at the school and hope to hell she doesn’t carry anything back to his immune system.

edit: this is my late wife’s sister so REALLY don’t have the heart to ask.... 

i know one teacher that took a leave. his wife and daughter are compromised, and every day he goes in and comes home he is putting them at risk

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

From what was said at the meeting last night,right now there hasn't been much in the way of comment from the teachers or their Union.

They may be waiting  for more specific details  on what plan the district decides to go with.

well if the union follows the NEA, you can expect their stance to be known

39 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Maybe they do have meetings about rainbows.

with Pride!

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Just read local article on delays in test results. Spikes down south really nailing the national labs and seeing a week or so until results come back. So if you think you have it go to a local health provider that does their own testing and doesn’t rely on the big chain labs.

I think you've mentioned John Barry's book about the Spanish Flu outbreak a time or two here, so this may be of interest to you:

"John Barry, author of The Great Influenza, says a full shutdown may be necessary. 'Had we done it right the first time, we’d be operating at near 100% now, schools would be preparing for a nearly normal school year . . . This is our second chance. We won’t get a third.'"

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I think you've mentioned John Barry's book about the Spanish Flu outbreak a time or two here, so this may be of interest to you:

"John Barry, author of The Great Influenza, says a full shutdown may be necessary. 'Had we done it right the first time, we’d be operating at near 100% now, schools would be preparing for a nearly normal school year . . . This is our second chance. We won’t get a third.'"

Yep that was me lol... Smithsonian channel had a show on Spanish Flu on their “America’s Hidden Stories” series. Barry was the main commentator for that episode. Irony was it came out ca 2018 and end of show warns “something like this might happen again”.

little deja vu all over again as good bit of the book describes Johns Hopkins researchers fighting Spanish Flu. And when case and death numbers are posted it’s usually from JHU.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

Interesting tidbit just saw on local news. Few details so feel free to “discuss” 😜. Standard school bus holds 71 kids. With social distancing 14 kids will be able to ride at a time. I don’t get how someone figured 14 but point is SD will clobber some schools transportation budget.

disclaimer: my district was one of the most spread out in the state so bus budget is huge.... don’t miss my 45 minute each way rides to/from school. 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

8 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Interesting tidbit just saw on local news. Few details so feel free to “discuss” 😜. Standard school bus holds 71 kids. With social distancing 14 kids will be able to ride at a time. I don’t get how someone figured 14 but point is SD will clobber some schools transportation budget.

disclaimer: my district was one of the most spread out in the state so bus budget is huge.... don’t miss my 45 minute each way rides to/from school. 

With all the cleaning the drivers might have to do, finding bus drivers might be hard.

• Like 1