Colorado Marching Band Cancelled

Just now, N.E. Brigand said:

A two-month national lockdown, one nearly as tough as what Italy eventually did (and we never did here) starting on March 15 probably would have done it, especially if we used that time well and then reopened smartly and ready to test, trace, and isolate on a massive scale.

Well, we wouldn’t have a vaccine upon reopening so it seems like it would come back, just maybe a little slower.  And isolating on a massive scale doesn’t sound like “operating at near 100%” to me.  

And back on March 15 we didn’t know as much as we do now (which still isn’t that much).  When did the “experts” stop telling us that we shouldn’t wear masks?  I was at an event in early March (that I was required to fly to) and everyone was sitting close and shaking hands.  

Almost no masks at the airport or even on the planes.  People didn’t know.  If you told them then they had to shut every down, no one would have complied.  And by whose authority would we have shut everything down?

I raised the very issue a while back of why we think things won’t just come back after a temporary shutdown.  The answer I was given was “herd immunity”.  But I don’t see how herd immunity could have taken effect during a shutdown.

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Well, he did say it was above his pay grade.

Not just the Second Amendment,he said the entire Bill of Rights was "above his pay grade'.

18 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

Kentucky cancelled their State Marching Band Championships today. 

A little south of there, I suspect the Contest of Champions will be if it hasn’t been already.  That was such a hallowed thing to me growing up.  It’s sad that kids won’t get the experience.  

Edited by skevinp

4 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Don’t have the heart to ask my sister in law at Halifax. Her hubby has had major health issues and is under her work health insurance. She was going to work until he could get under MediCare as they couldn’t afford their own health insurance with his history. Now does she retire and eat spaghetti (cheap eats) until he goes under MediCare or work at the school and hope to hell she doesn’t carry anything back to his immune system.

edit: this is my late wife’s sister so REALLY don’t have the heart to ask.... 

You have a lot of empathy and I think you could find a way to phrase things. She may just need someone to listen. A lot of people are really hurting and we need to reach out when we can. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

You have a lot of empathy and I think you could find a way to phrase things. She may just need someone to listen. A lot of people are really hurting and we need to reach out when we can. 

Thanks but I’ll let her come to me first. Got a feeling she might be waiting for all the information before deciding anything. Also SIL has married grown kids and 2 grandkids. They are at the shore now all together (secluded place) and might be talking it out. Her school is small (including tax base), rural and some of the board members were elected to “save money” and not because they knew anything about education. Worked with a lady whose kids are going there and she is very involved and have heard same horror stories. Just not a good place to handle drastic change....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

The problem, from what I've read is, under the Constitution, the Federal Government doesn't have the authority to impose a national lockdown like Italy and Spain did.

That would violate states' rights.

A friend of mine is a Constitutional lawyer.

He's actually qualified to argue cases before the Supreme Court.

He said that not only would attempting a  national lockdown violate the Constitution, if challenged in court, so would a lot of the Executive Orders put in place by some Governors.

I know in N.J. our governor wanted to suspend the Second Amendment, by stopping all firearm and ammunition sales. In that case the Feds did step in and stop him.

That is a legitimate concern, and I'm glad you brought it up, but it's not insurmountable.

I said we needed a "national lockdown". I didn't say, and I didn't mean, that it had to be imposed by the federal government.

Mind you, there is precedent for the federal government imposing drastic measures on the states in emergency situations.

But I doubt it would be necessary: if the President strongly urged states to take the steps I described, they would comply.

Particularly if Congress simultaneously passed an aid package sufficient to get people through the shutdown.

And as for your friend's claim about state lockdowns violating the Constitution, well, as I've noted repeatedly, states have taken broad steps to fight plagues since this nation was founded (and even before). Alexander Hamilton, while he was Secretary of the Treasury, was forced by the city of Albany to quarantine because he had traveled there from Philadelphia, where there was a yellow fever outbreak.

(I'm not going to get into a debate about the Second Amendment.)

Since it was the subject of some back and forth here recently, the CDC now estimates the infection fatality rate for Covid-19 is 0.65%:

https://reason.com/2020/07/13/cdcs-latest-estimated-covid-19-infection-fatality-ratio-0-65/

I had said it was somewhere between 0.5% and 1.0%. As a reminder: the IFR for the flu is 0.1%. So the CDC is saying Covid-19 is 6.5 times deadlier.

10 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I was at a meeting last night where the Superintendent of the local school system gave a presentation of their plans to reopen

K-8 schools.

High school kids go to regional high school.

Ha said last Spring showed that there's no question  "in person'"  learning is superior to on-line.

He said  a number of parents have called the results of the on-line learning "regressive",

not progressive.

They are currently working on a  couple of options to reopen schools.

Right now,this seems the preferred approach:

They are planning on having in person learning 2-3 days a week,to start.

One day a week would "float".

They're going to "grab and go" breakfast and lunch.

They're also adjusting the school day to end with kids taking lunch home.

Classrooms would be set up to Socially Distance and be cleaned to exceed all CDC

criteria.

He  stressed that there haven't been any objections to reopening.

But,instead,a lot encouragement,especially from parents.

I teach in Ohio and our reopening plan is no plan. All the students, all the time. Social distancing is not possible and masks are not required. What could possibly go wrong?